Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Kilkenny Marathon

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Was just having a look at the events calender for 2012 on Run Ireland and came across the Carlow Kilkenny marathon

Is this new for next year? Its being run on the 30th of September which is a month before Dublin and the same day as Berlin.

Would a well organised Spring marathon not fit the Irish marathon calender a bit better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Spring is getting quite busy for regional Irish marathons, with: Connemarathon, Belfast, Limerick, Waterford, Kildare, etc.

I think there's more likely to be a bit of a gap in the middle of summer. I could be wrong, but there are very few marathons between Cork (June) and Longford (August). Perhaps organizers are worried about the roasting hot summers we get. :rolleyes:

When you think about it, a mid-summer marathon would be perfect, as you get to train during the balmy, bright spring weather and if you miss your marathon goal (illness or injury) there's a slew of them coming up shortly afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Spring is getting quite busy for regional Irish marathons, with: Connemarathon, Belfast, Limerick, Waterford, Kildare, etc.

I think there's more likely to be a bit of a gap in the middle of summer. I could be wrong, but there are very few marathons between Cork (June) and Longford (August). Perhaps organizers are worried about the roasting hot summers we get. :rolleyes:

When you think about it, a mid-summer marathon would be perfect, as you get to train during the balmy, bright spring weather and if you miss your marathon goal (illness or injury) there's a slew of them coming up shortly afterwards.

4 of the 5 of those marathons are in may or later. I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of march / april. AFAIK we have limited options with most people going to rotterdam, paris, barcelona etc. to get their "fix"

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

They ran it this year on a very small scale - i think there were 6 starters - there are photos of it on facebook and it looked like a lot of fun - not ideal perhaps if it was a first marathon or if you are precious about facilities or organisation. Maybe that was a trial run and the organisers are aiming to do a large scale version this year, the early listing on runireland might indicate that??

Anyway - as my local marathon, even at the scale it was at last year i would be interested in it next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bogtrotters - end of July. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bogtrotters - end of July. :pac:
    I thought that was an ultra? :confused:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

I thought that was an ultra? :confused:

:)

It's a marathon that feels like an ultra:(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

i think the 100 marathon club might helped organise this in 2011. hopefully it will grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I'll be there, big style

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carlow Kilkenny Marathon

The Carlow Kilkenny marathon is from Carlow town through Bgnalstown and Paulstown and on to Kilkenny City where you do a small loop of the City before finishing at the Castle gates.
    The roads are not closed for the run but there are stewards at major junctions to warn traffic.
    This is the second year of it being ran. Last year 7 runners started and 6 finished. water stations are every 7 miles but if competitors want to have energy drinks or food dropped to the water stations that will be arranged. Transport from the finish back to the start can be arranged once we get an idea of numbers taking part.
    It is a nice course back country roads from Carlow to Bagenalstown and then main road from Bagenalstown to Kilkenny.
    We are thinking of offering a relay marathon this year so anyone thinking of stepping up from 10k to 10 mile can have a go and if someone wants to have a 16mile run a month before Dublin then why not?
    I am open to Ideas as to what people might like this year. As it is only a young marathon so l input would be greatfuly received..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

It is a nice course back country roads from Carlow to Bagenalstown and then main road from Bagenalstown to Kilkenny.
    Has it been properly measured by a suitably qualified person with a Jones Counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Carlow Kilkenny Marathon

It has not been properly measured by a jones counter but i am hoping to get it done for this year but if not, last year it was 26.9 miles so it will still count as a marathon for marathon associations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

It has not been properly measured by a jones counter but i am hoping to get it done for this year but if not, last year it was 26.9 miles so it will still count as a marathon for marathon associations
    When you say #but if not# really says If you want to run a marathon for a pb don't do ours cos it's long. Surely shortening it can't be that hard. With 7 runners last yr and no advertising the signs aren't good. What does Thr runner get for his/her entry ? Water ever 7 miles will be over 70 min of running for a lot of people. Sounds like its an event that will always be a very small one. Is there an interest in a relay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I dont think your right there regarding it counting for the marathon club mate. If its not properly measured i dont see how it can.

i think a few off the marathon club men are doing this this year.. its on there website as an event for 2012. the 3 in 3 days last year in KK were not jones counter measured and were mearsured using GPS and OSI mapping and the marathon club accepted this and the 3 marathons counted as official marathons. anything from 26.2 to 26.9 count as a marathon.. this marathon appears to be like the west of ireland marathon series, where like minded runners meet every few weeks to run a marathon, more suited to experianced runners..

if you want a t shirt etc stick to DCM and other city marathons

i think a few off the marathon club men are doing this this year.. its on there website as an event for 2012. the 3 in 3 days last year in KK were not jones counter measured and were mearsured using GPS and OSI mapping and the marathon club accepted this and the 3 marathons counted as official marathons. anything from 26.2 to 26.9 count as a marathon.. this marathon appears to be like the west of ireland marathon series, where like minded runners meet every few weeks to run a marathon, more suited to experianced runners..

if you want a t shirt etc stick to DCM and other city marathons
    Im in the marathon club mate, the rules have been made stricter to come into line with the uk marathon club. You may be right that it counts, i asked about it and should get an answer soon. Best of luck with your race anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clareman07

Hi all, ref course measurement for this marathon. The marathon counts as a trail marathon as its not yet measured by jones counter, This fulfills the criteria for both the Irish and Uk marathon clubs, otherwise it would not be on our calender. Last year it had small numbers due to beeing on the same weekend as our own club marathon. This year seems to have alot more interest so we should get behind it and support it. If people dont like this type of marathon there is no one forcing anyone to do it.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Im in the marathon club mate, the rules have been made stricter to come into line with the uk marathon club. You may be right that it counts, i asked about it and should get an answer soon. Best of luck with your race anyway.

congrats on been a member of the club... :rolleyes:
    clareman is correct it counts as an official marathon, a trail marathon.. for both irish and the uk clubs..:rolleyes:

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Im in the marathon club mate, the rules have been made stricter to come into line with the ukmarathon club. You may be right that it counts, i asked about it and should get an answer soon. Best of luck with your race anyway.

congrats on been a member of the club... :rolleyes:
    clareman is correct it counts as an official marathon, a trail marathon.. for both irish and the uk clubs..:rolleyes:
    Yeah apparently so. I think if a marathon wants to be taken seriously, even a small one its offer to be properly measured. Trail marathon that's not on trails. Easy way to excuse a course that's long or short. Im only one person and i won't be doing the race so feel free to ignore me.

Advertisement