Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iSomething to replace QR codes?

• 07-12-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

I remember driving by a billboard recently with an add for some iSomethingorother which stated that whatever it is, will be replacing QR codes. Now I tried to google to find the answer, I got results saying NFC codes will replace QR codes, but I don't think they will in terms of printed media, the likes of android market place or website usage etc where you can't use a NFC chip, but does anyone know what this other technology was? I think it might be an iPhone app or something but from the ad alone, I was doubtful of it's statement to begin with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That ad is on Bus Shelters in Dublin, just some private app company talking tat, to be honest. QR codes are here to stay, for a good bit longer..

The problem with NFC is that hardware is required. So basically, things will not take off if the hardware isn't present in the phone\device.

QR is passive and low tech and quite rugged, it just needs a camera.

You do wonder sometimes if standards and various iso's are pushed along purely for the sake of the manufacturer..

I only noticed the ad because it annoyed me, the habit of placing a small 'i' in front of a name, pushing the envelope there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, would have been at a bus shelter or two aswell, can you remember what it was? iticket or something like that, think it was a t after the i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

It is called iTagged but i havent really looked in to it so am not too sure what it actually is.
    http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/itagged/id426413024?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's the one alright!
    Hello iTagged

The iTagged system instantly connects you to amazing mobile content. Simply enter a tag into the app and the information is delivered to your device. iTagged allows you to access exclusive content including music, videos, social networks and promotions optimized for your mobile phone and tablet computer. You will find iTagged everywhere from product packaging, advertising sites and promotions to print ads, TV commercials and magazines and it instantly delivers the relevant content assigned to that tag.

No more scanning
    No more searching
    No more inputting URL’s

iTagged - Interactive Mobile Entertainment

To be honest, if it's only for Apple, I can't imagine it replacing QR codes at all, plus, if it's just a number, I think QR codes are much more recognisable in what they are actually for than a number would be, a number could be anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lol itagged advert is like telling people that own a car to upgrade to a horse n cart.

not gonna happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement