Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cows facing the wrong way when lying in cubicles

• 07-12-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am not able to locate a thread. I have a few cows that reverse into the cubicles in the slated shed and lie in them so that they are facing towards the feeding barrier. Not a problem but some cows after getting up on their feet will do a number 2 in the cubicle and to make matters worse they are so inconsiderate they will use a different cubicle every time!! I tried putting a length of 2” agri tube along the cubicles about 1’ from the wall. It didn’t prevent them from backing into the cubicle and that is what I want to do. Some cows have being doing this since they were weanlings so maybe I should work on stopping the weanlings from lying with their head facing towards the feeding barrier and eventually after a few years I will have all the cows lying the correct way in the cubicle. Most of the cows that are doing it at present are getting on in age and may be culled over the next 3-4 yrs.

Has anyone managed to re-program a cow to lie in the correct position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I tried putting a length of 2” agri tube along the cubicles about 1’ from the wall. It didn’t prevent them from backing into the cubicle

The tube is too close to the wall. You should have it out at least 2ft from the wall so that the cow's had has to be put beneath the bar to get her whole body up onto the cubicle. IYKWIM

ie. The bar should be fitted to the top of your cubicle in such a way that if a cow backs up into the cubicle, her arse should hit it before she gets her front feet onto the cubicle. This way she won't fit onto the cubicle unless she goes up the correct way and ducks her head down under the bar to allow her to bring her rear legs up onto the cubicle.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

reilig wrote: »
    The tube is too close to the wall. You should have it out at least 2ft from the wall so that the cow's had has to be put beneath the bar to get her whole body up onto the cubicle. IYKWIM

ie. The bar should be fitted to the top of your cubicle in such a way that if a cow backs up into the cubicle, her arse should hit it before she gets her front feet onto the cubicle. This way she won't fit onto the cubicle unless she goes up the correct way and ducks her head down under the bar to allow her to bring her rear legs up onto the cubicle.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Reilig. I will try that. The might do the trick

Advertisement