Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do wild animal go to die?.

• 07-12-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Probably a question that country folk, more so than urban dwellers, may be better suited to ponder on, or answer.

So the Irish countryside is full of wildlife, a wide array of different animals. Badgers, Foxes, Swans and vast numbers of birds.
    But the thing is, save the odd badger or Fox that you see lying dead on the roadside, you almost never see dead wild animals.

Birds for example(feathered!), there must be millions of them in the country, however I could count on one hand the amount of times that I've seen a dead one lying about.

Do their bodies get scavenged immediately, is decomposition rapid?.

I've always wondered what happens to the bodies of those thousands that fall from the sky daily, never to fly again?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Birds dying mid-flight is rare. It normally only happens after they hit a plane!
    If an animal dies in the wild, they are often just made into a meal by other animals. The circle of life and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In our back garden, under the heating oil container, a pigeon is cooped up underneath. We presume it's there to die as it no longer has the energy to fly or is too injured to search for food. My dad puts out water and grains for it.

Still there for the time being at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I'd imagine most of the animals you see lying dead by the road hae been killed by a car or so and not went there to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well with an animal, they would naturally be weak during the whole dying process, as would a human. But considering their life in the wild, they proberly want to find a place that will allow them to die in peace, away from predators. Their survival instincts would still be kicking in while they're dying I would imagine. So it's possible they hide themselves away when dying, and people just rarely find the dead animals. That's just my theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

The animal hospice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well with an animal, they would naturally be weak during the whole dying process, as would a human. But considering their life in the wild, they proberly want to find a place that will allow them to die in peace, away from predators. Their survival instincts would still be kicking in while they're dying I would imagine. So it's possible they hide themselves away when dying.

Yeah this seem the most likely reason for not seeing dead animals littered about the place.

Still considering the huge amount of wildlife out there, you would expect to see a little more of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

SuperMacs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

on one hand? i have seen hundreds of dead birds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

They go to the wilderness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pet Sematary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

FatherLen wrote: »
    on one hand? i have seen hundreds of dead birds!

They must be very small birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

When you see one of those live animals you mentioned, that's where the dead ones are. :)
    A dead animal will also last longer on the side of a busy road compared to a quiet ditch, because the diners would be constantly interrupted by traffic while trying to enjoy their meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

My large intestine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

How long does it take for bodies to start decomposing and for a strong smell to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You know those revolving meatsticks you see in Abra....ahem....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Shane St. wrote: »
    How long does it take for bodies to start decomposing and for a strong smell to start

Why? What are you planning?! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Why? What are you planning?! :O

Would love to see the search th at dragged this one up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Shane St. wrote: »

Try Febreze.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement