Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Waterford ?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard that lot numbers 11A, 11B, 11C & 12 Arundel Square, City Square Shopping Centre are being demolished and that a 2-storey retail block is to be built. I found this info on the Waterford City's Planning Site:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1134&LASiteID=0

The applicant is 'IBI Property Nominees', but i cannot find any info on them and whom they represent.

I heard from my sisters husband that works in one of the nearyby shops were informed that HMV will be moving in.

Can anyone confirm this, or is this just a rumour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

johndoe99 wrote: »
    has anyone heard that lot numbers 11A, 11B, 11C & 12 Arundel Square, City Square Shopping Centre are being demolished and that a 2-storey retail block is to be built. I found this info on the Waterford City's Planning Site:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1134&LASiteID=0

The applicant is 'IBI Property Nominees', but i cannot find any info on them and whom they represent.

I heard from my sisters husband that works in one of the nearyby shops were informed that HMV will be moving in.

Can anyone confirm this, or is this just a rumour.
    Thought it was H&M taking that unit? Or the big 1 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Thought it was H&M taking that unit? Or the big 1 anyway

I heard that about 6 months ago, but didn't give it much of a thought, as there's plenty of competition already in the City, but i know nothing about fashion and clothes.

I've sent an email to H&M asking them, hopefully they'll respond.

We could do with a HMV, there's no competition for them, Golden Discs, Xtravision and Gamestop would not have any impact on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Why could we do with a HMV? Who actually buys CDS and DVDs anymore? A few probably...but not as many as those who did 5 years ago.

My money is on this not happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Why could we do with a HMV? Who actually buys CDS and DVDs anymore? A few probably...but not as many as those who did 5 years ago.

My money is on this not happening this year.

Mine too, considering there is only 3 odd weeks left! ;)

Joking aside, I'd say a H&M style shop would be far more likely (and profitable imho) than a HMV style shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I heard this rumour about 4 or 5 years ago too when The City Arms closed down. There were loads of rumours HMV was going to go in there, but it never happened. I think given the state of the retail sector in general, not to mention particularly CD / DVD outlets which are closing down at a phenomenal rate, the chances of this happening are fairly remote. Although it would be nice to have somewhere that did sell DVDs / Vinyl instead of having to buy online. Much more likely as people have said that H&M or something like that will move into Arundal Square.

• Advertisement

mecco wrote: »
    Mine too, considering there is only 3 odd weeks left! ;)

Joking aside, I'd say a H&M style shop would be far more likely (and profitable imho) than a HMV style shop.

haha good point. Meant next year of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I heard H&M, i doubt HMV, as somebody said, very few buy CDs in shops anymore. HMVs profits have been massively hit in recent years (remember reading in a business section some time back) so doubt they are expanding.

The big issue, now that it has been approved is, can the developer get the € of the bank???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Was there not talks of H&M going into the ghost mall in Ferrybank?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, I have never heard of any high st store securing a unit in that shopping center. This put off the company i was working for at the time it was being built.

I heard it was H&M. But both H&M and HMV are in the McDonagh Junction shopping center, just 30 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Very much doubt its Hmv when they are closing down more stores across the UK and Ireland, They are trying to focus more on their online store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cant see that happening, HMV are on their knees, hopefully we wont hear HMV, liquidation or receivership in same sentance....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

It's def H&M but sadly their market research on Waterford City Centre failed a number of points... Footfall v Population , Parking , lack of other large scale retail in location

i know because I knew someone working on the lease agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

savic04 wrote: »
    It's def H&M but sadly their market research on Waterford City Centre failed a number of points... Footfall v Population , Parking , lack of other large scale retail in location

i know because I knew someone working on the lease agreement

Ok so their not coming now?

O Riain, I'm going to give you some extra tuition (no charge) as all those nights out seem to be affecting your grammar.

Their is possessive. As in they took their lunch-boxes to school.
    They're is a shortened version of They are, which is what you were shooting for above.

As for HMV, it's a recycled rumour from 3 years ago. Is not going to happen.

O Riain, I'm going to give you some extra tuition (no charge) as all those nights out seem to be affecting your grammar.

Their is possessive. As in they took their lunch-boxes to school.
    They're is a shortened version of They are, which is what you were shooting for above.

As for HMV, it's a recycled rumour from 3 years ago. Is not going to happen.

What the hell has the way I spelt their, there or they're got to do with what I asked? I've noticed that this is "the big man" thing to do on this board, instantly pounce on somebody who has, misspelt a word, left out a comma or god forbid omitted a full stop :O.
    If you'd spent more time reading what I was talking about rather than getting "OCD" on my misspelling of "they're" then you would have noticed I was asking him a question about H & M NOT HMV. I guess in future if I spend half my life on boards and post over 5,000 times then maybe, just maybe I might obtain spelling prowess that you are so obviously graced with.

There did I do that right teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

O Riain wrote: »
    What the hell has the way I spelt their, there or they're got to do with what I asked? I've noticed that this is "the big man" thing to do on this board, instantly pounce on somebody who has, misspelt a word, left out a comma or god forbid omitted a full stop :O.
    If you'd spent more time reading what I was talking about rather than getting "OCD" on my misspelling of "they're" then you would have noticed I was asking him a question about H & M NOT HMV. I guess in future if I spend half my life on boards and post over 5,000 times then maybe, just maybe I might obtain spelling prowess that you are so obviously graced with.

Damn boy you got some fight in ya....it's good to let it out. Now deep breaths

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Damn boy you got some fight in ya....it's good to let it out. Now deep breaths

Forgot to take me my pills! haha

You missed a few commas here and there but all in all it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

So are H&M coming or not? If not what is going on with the three units?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I've heard h&m and new look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Definatly H&M going into there. Deal beaing finalised this week as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

michellie wrote: »
    I've heard h&m and new look :)

Mrs Fric will be very happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Ok so their not coming now?

Think they are still coming in there, but under new terms or something along those lines.

wobbles wrote: »
    Definatly H&M going into there. Deal beaing finalised this week as far as i know

Anything to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

The rumour about HMV opening a store in Arundel Square is so old that it pre-dates the invention of the DVD. Remember when they were preparing the glass-bricked building that became Permanent TSB, loads of people were convincing each other that HMV were about to move in there. These days, HMV are closing down stores, not opening new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Guramoogah wrote: »
    These days, HMV are closing down stores, not opening new ones.

But didn't they open in Kilkenny when Virgin/Zavvi closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rainbowtom

Waterford has no need for HMV we have Rainbow Records "WOW"

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

HMV are in all sorts of financial trouble. It's fantasyland to think that they'd even consider opening here, even if they have a store in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wobbles wrote: »

Where did you hear that WObbles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Max Powers wrote: »
    Where did you hear that WObbles?

From someone very high up in City Square. There was one shop causing the deal some problems. Havnt heard anything since then though

Advertisement