Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gift vouchers work for for Irish Kindle?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Can anyone who has a Kindle help me please?

A certain young reader in our house is getting a Kindle (Irish version) from Santa Claus. Certain other members of the family want to buy Amazon vouchers so this young reader can buy a few ebooks. However it seems that Amazon vouchers are not international and I am worried we will get the wrong vouchers.

I buy paper books from Amazon.co.uk but they warn that their vouchers cannot be used on Amazon.com

I have heard that the Irish Kindle actually is linked with Amazon.com so perhaps we should get vouchers from there but again those vouchers don't work in other Amazon countries either so we could get it wrong.

Has anyone with an Irish Kindle used gift vouchers and if so which ones work? Even if you haven't used gift vouchers can you confirm that the Irish Kindle still uses the US Kindle shop please? Santa Claus himself has regretfully informed us that it is not possible to open the packaging to check any of this out in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I haven't used gift vouchers (though I would imagine a gift voucher for .com would be able to be used in .com regardless of where you live) so no help there but yes, the Irish Kindle users buy through Amazon.com, not Amazon.co.uk.

If you know what books he wants then you could ''gift'' them to the email address associated with the Amazon account. Someone recently ''gifted'' me a book, I got an email and then clicked on the link in the email and it brought me to the Amazon Kindle store and let me download the book. Not sure if if that'd be helpful for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I got a gift card from amazon.com and it worked. I think (not 100% sure) that you can use either version but you have to change your location (update your address to either US or Ireland) depending on which gift card you are using.

I just made up a US address and said I was in the US and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks Jubjee / Flyaway.

It looks like the Amazon.com vouchers are the way to go. I suspected as much but i wanted to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

If you're based in Ireland your kindle will be registered to the .com site. You can safely buy vouchers from there and gift them to an email address based here and then use them to preload a .com account and buy kindle books to their value...

Advertisement