Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal slack

• 07-12-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

We just got given a bag of coal slack. What can we use this for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

my old man used to mix it with water then pack it on top of a lit fire after a while it begins to burn,think its slower burning than coal so you can put on and forget about the fire for a while.
    I remember he used to put it on before mass on a christmas morning and it'd just be getting going by time we got back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

i used to use it in an old stanley cooker,put down your normal coal,let that light up,then put your slack over it,it makes your coal fire last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

We have a back boiler so we are hoping to it will help to redden the fire that bit more and to make it last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Generally damp slack would be used to dampen down a fire to give a slow burn or an overnight burn. Its also good for covering turf and log fires for a longer burn.

Advertisement