Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Blanks DVD's in Lidl

Options
  • 07-12-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello everyone, I bought a pack of 10 DVD-R blank DVDs in Lidl on November 1st 2011 but they do not store the capacity stated on the packaging. They should hold 4.7G of data and these disks only store 1.31G. Have I any right to get a replacement product or my money back? I still have the receipt. They are Maxell DVDs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, if thats true, then yes. But I'venever come accross anything like that with DVDs, only dodgy flash drives. You might want to print out a screen shot just to prove it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

How IT savy are you OP? I can't ever recall a DVD that would only hold 1.31GB; have you tried with a different drive? Different burn method? Different software?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Please don't take offense here but by any chance are you putting 1.31 GB onto them then expecting to put more - up to the stated 4.7GB - after the initial burn ? Unless you create a multi-session filesystem on the disc this won't be possible.

If you started copying a larger file and the disc "coastered" then I doubt you could read the data on it.

On the other hand maybe your DVD burner simply can't handle what may be inferior blanks ? Remember the old mantra - You get what you pay for !!

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

^^^Maxell are alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I assume they're not the 8cm ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I assume they're not the 8cm ones?
    1.3GB does sound about right for a single layer miniDVD. But the OP did say that the capacity stated on the packaging was 4.7GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Adyx wrote: »
    1.3GB does sound about right for a single layer miniDVD. But the OP did say that the capacity stated on the packaging was 4.7GB.

I'm just trying to cover all eventualities involving human error:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

Hey thanks for all the replies! I've since tried the dvd's on another laptop and their storage capacity is coming up as 4.3G. I'm getting a clicking noise out of the dvd drive in the last few days and now its not reading any dvds in general! I'm beginning to think its just broken! Laptop is almost 3 years old so I'll probably get a new one after the college year ends. A replacement internal dvd drive could be over 40 euro for a decent one and more for an external one.

Advertisement