Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inside Peek at Akihabara’s Most Famous Retro Game Shop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

TROUSER CUSTARD ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to make my own video when I visit in July. It'll be 3 hours long and feature nothing but sniffing sealed Darius games.

That's basically the entire content of the video.

It will be located at the special hentai branch of my blog www.pinkbullets.xxx :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

From reading the excellent Famicom Blog it seems that Super Potato is a great place to visit but never buy anything in there because you will find it cheaper in any other akihabara store. Also don't expect to find anything good in Akihabara or the other electronic cities, the bargains are to be found in the smaller shops. This is the guy that picked up a load of every expensive MSX shmup cartridges from a 'junk' heap for 100 yen each and a boxed virtual boy for the equivalent of 3 dollars from the same junk heap in a smaller retro store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'm going to make my own video when I visit in July. It'll be 3 hours long and feature nothing but sniffing sealed Darius games.

That's basically the entire content of the video.

It will be located at the special hentai branch of my blog www.pinkbullets.xxx :)

They can use it at your arraignment as evidence for the prosecution....
    You'll have to get this guy to save you from prison...

phoenixwrightaceattorney.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    From reading the excellent Famicom Blog it seems that Super Potato is a great place to visit but never buy anything in there because you will find it cheaper in any other akihabara store. Also don't expect to find anything good in Akihabara or the other electronic cities, the bargains are to be found in the smaller shops. This is the guy that picked up a load of every expensive MSX shmup cartridges from a 'junk' heap for 100 yen each and a boxed virtual boy for the equivalent of 3 dollars from the same junk heap in a smaller retro store.

Having been there I feel in a better position to comment ;)

But yeah, Super Potato isn't the cheapest for some things. Plain carts tend to be more than reasonable, but rarities and hardware can be quite high. What they do have is a great selection, and the best chilled Cola in Tokyo.

Osaka one is very disappointing in comparison.

Osaka one is very disappointing in comparison.

Duly noted for my travel itinerary. Thank you Dr. Ultimate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

FYI they really don't like it when you go around videoing their store. GGs to Scott Popular getting that out there.

There are a number of shops in the main street where you can get the good stuff, including a few shops which give you a free SNES cart from a basket for spending over like Y1000. The good thing about Super Potato is that you have a great selection under 1 roof, yeah its a little more expensive, but a visual treat to walk around, including looking at that expensive copy of Maximum Carnage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

They really do hate it when they see a white dude take a camera or camera phone out in their stores over there.

I was just discretely snapping a few pics of things I maybe wanted to buy before leaving the other week and the guy came over and said "no picture, put away or you leave now".
    I said "no picture, no sale. I work for the Ministry of Silly Walks and they require pictures to approve my purchases". He let me take a few pictures and didn't bother me again.

Obviously not a Python fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It must be pretty annoying having a load of foreign people walking around your retail shop taking photos.

Then again, it must be really annoying traveling all the way to Japan and not being able to take photos of something you went all that way to see!

Oh by the way, was anyone else really pissed off buy the guys cap in the video?

There are two ways of wearing a cap. Forward (as designed) backwards (if you want to rock the Bart Simpson look) but NO OTHERS.

Sideways? You look like an idiot and might as well be wearing a propeller beanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    It must be pretty annoying having a load of foreign people walking around your retail shop taking photos.

Then again, it must be really annoying traveling all the way to Japan and not being able to take photos of something you went all that way to see!

Oh by the way, was anyone else really pissed off buy the guys cap in the video?

There are two ways of wearing a cap. Forward (as designed) backwards (if you want to rock the Bart Simpson look) but NO OTHERS.

Sideways? You look like an idiot and might as well be wearing a propeller beanie.

Yes, yes I was :mad:

But maybe I'm just jealous of how cool he must be.

Maybe he's mates with this other cool dude who posts over on the hyperpspin forum. He doesn't wear a hat but he seriously mother****ing likes his new hyperspin cab :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You know what im sayin

God damn it i know what your sayin, stop sayin it!

I dont understand either why people make 15 minute videos showing the hyperspin menu, we all seen it before, anyone can get it, shows us your cab not the menu system and every console one by one.

Edit again: I also cant stand those xarcade things, they look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »

Without said videos & pics though people wouldn't have heard of the place &/or be inclined to go there. Seeing videos of it just reeks great publicity, what's their problem with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As far as I know it's strictly against Japanese law to video / photo certain things (even people without permission).

It's why they'll be on you in seconds if you pull out a camera in an arcade.

Advertisement