Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Kit Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

More Chinese rubbish, dvr might be ok but the camera is of very low quality
    Have a look at cctvdirect or have a look in the sticky

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    More Chinese rubbish, dvr might be ok but the camera is of very low quality
    +1
    480 TVL is absolute rubbish in this day & age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The AVTECH is good value. Camera wise you could do much better. 540 TVL is more than enough with this system. Try a few of the suppliers here, to see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

€399+vat for a 4 camera CCTV Kit in Trade Electric in Santry. The camera's are 600TVL and they are all pre-wired and you can watch the footage on your I-phone. Bought one there 3 weeks ago and am well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Thanks for the replys guys
    Realistically will a find a 2 camera kit for 300 or do I need to be looking at a bigger budget?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Are cctv cameras with fixed lens typically suitable for domestic installations. If so what size lens?

Variable lens cameras seems a lot more expensive?

I know lens size requirements depend on what you are trying to cover but is there a typical fixed lens size suitable for domestic installation?

Thanks

Are cctv cameras with fixed lens typically suitable for domestic installations. If so what size lens?

It all depends on what you want to cover, down side with them is you have no options to zoom in and out as they are fixed.
    Variable lens cameras seems a lot more expensive?

Yes more expensive but more flexible in terms of what you want to view from a distance.
    I know lens size requirements depend on what you are trying to cover but is there a typical fixed lens size suitable for domestic installation?

Thanks

Again it all depends on the location of the camera plus what your viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

I reckon if you were only looking for 2 cameras and a DVR you would be looking at about €350 + vat for a decent DVR and 2 fixed domes. This wouldn't include cabling or connectors or possibly power supplies and this is why I think the previously mentioned offer is good value.

Also, if you want Varifical cameras these would push the cost up by a further €50 per camera. I'm sure you could get a cheaper DVR somewhere but from my experience the playback on these cheaper DVR's is poor and this is very
    important should you have a requirement to examine footage.

You get what you pay for with CCTV.

FMartinp wrote: »
    You get what you pay for with CCTV.

At the end of the day thats what it all boils down to. There are a lot of good value DVRs and cameras on the market but there is also a lot of cheap ones also that will only cost more to replace in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zaxa

Why is it that nobody would recommend Megapixel cameras. Analogue image quality isn't worth much these days unless for small areas.

• Advertisement

There is no doubting they are a better camera to have installed but they are expensive. I am sure like everything else they will come down in price in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

FMartinp wrote: »
    €399+vat for a 4 camera CCTV Kit in Trade Electric in Santry. The camera's are 600TVL and they are all pre-wired and you can watch the footage on your I-phone. Bought one there 3 weeks ago and am well impressed.
    What model did you get? Can you give a little bit more info pls :)

Advertisement