Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hkc quantum vs simon xt

Options
  • 07-12-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Nearly there with my alarm decision! Had decided to go with a company who is installing hkc quantum (wireless, gsm option as no land line, €599 for 5 sensors). Plus new gsm quantum panel due in Jan (c.€200).

However, just noticed new offer on phonewatch of €699 for 8 sensor (plus €149 for their gsm unit), think they use Simon XT for their wireless alarms.

Like for like (i.e. at 8 sensors each), the quantum is working out about €95 more expensive - do people think this is worth it? Is it a much better system? What is the main difference in the two systems? Given the alarm will hopefully be there for years, I don't mind spending a bit more now if it's worth it.

My last decision is re going phone monitoring route (would make up the €95 cost here anyway by not going PW), or just getting the text updates...any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your help,

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd go with the HKC option, it will probably work out cheaper in the long run.
    You'll get a live bell box with the HKC, PW will charge a premium for this

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Quantum over that anyday. You need to look into that Eircom deal very closley . As was said there will be no external bell. the devices may also be only standard inertias with no contact. I can't believe they are still pushing GSM as a reliable form of monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi All,

Nearly there with my alarm decision! Had decided to go with a company who is installing hkc quantum (wireless, gsm option as no land line, €599 for 5 sensors). Plus new gsm quantum panel due in Jan (c.€200).

However, just noticed new offer on phonewatch of €699 for 8 sensor (plus €149 for their gsm unit), think they use Simon XT for their wireless alarms.

Like for like (i.e. at 8 sensors each), the quantum is working out about €95 more expensive - do people think this is worth it? Is it a much better system? What is the main difference in the two systems? Given the alarm will hopefully be there for years, I don't mind spending a bit more now if it's worth it.

My last decision is re going phone monitoring route (would make up the €95 cost here anyway by not going PW), or just getting the text updates...any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your help,

Simon

The HKC Quantum would be the better system to go for. With the HKC GSM you will also have remote access to the panel for arming/disarming the system. With P.Ws you wont. The system uses two way wire free devices compared to the older one way devices on the XT. A live external bell off P.W is €260 so take that into account also, plus the monitoring will also add more money on to the €699 they started with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Anyone know if EP offers alarm systems without monitoring?? Ive always wondered:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Doubt it.
    Sure why would you want an unmonitored alarm with only an internal siren? :confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone know if EP offers alarm systems without monitoring?? Ive always wondered:confused:

That would not be good for there business as with the monitoring they recoup there money back for the cost of the alarm over the years you have it monitored. Give them a ring and see :D

No i was just wondering if they gave the option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MarkC1987

i used to work as a rep for pw.wouldnt give them a penny.the monitoring fee is ridiculous and your locked into a 36 month contract paying that.would defo pick the quantum.from what i remember to get the ''deal'' i was selling it you could only get it with monitoring

Just curious to know if theyre using the new simon xt v2 with the wireless touch screen...i can get it on ebay for dirt cheap but then id have to get a suitable PSU to work over here aswell as having to buy the sensors from the US? The only let down on the quantum is the lack of an extra keypad option

MarkC1987 wrote: »
    i used to work as a rep for pw.wouldnt give them a penny.the monitoring fee is ridiculous and your locked into a 36 month contract paying that.would defo pick the quantum.from what i remember to get the ''deal'' i was selling it you could only get it with monitoring

Too be far to P.W not all contracts last this long. I remember they had the offer to pay over the 3 years for monitoring and to buy the system. Sounds good when you are signing up.

• Advertisement

Just curious to know if theyre using the new simon xt v2 with the wireless touch screen...i can get it on ebay for dirt cheap but then id have to get a suitable PSU to work over here aswell as having to buy the sensors from the US? The only let down on the quantum is the lack of an extra keypad option

No, they dont use the XT V2, sure they are not using the older XT that long :o

It looks so much better, it even has z-wave and the touchpad gives even more control

It looks so much better, it even has z-wave and the touchpad gives even more control

I agree, it looks a lot better that the older XT.
    Z-wave?

Its like x10 the panel can be linked into a whole range of home automation. It also has two way voice. When the alarm is triggered the monitoring station come on over the panel instead of ringing the landline.. It also improves emergency response since they can listen in ..really efficient:D

Its like x10 the panel can be linked into a whole range of home automation. It also has two way voice. When the alarm is triggered the monitoring station come on over the panel instead of ringing the landline.. It also improves emergency response since they can listen in ..really efficient:D

The older simon has x10 and two way voice if it needs to be set up.
    Z-wave looks good alright.

But it cant accept the new touchpad, would be interesting if they brought out 2 -way sensors for it since the rf touch pad is 2-way ....maybe even change it to the 868mhz freq
    It would cause a bit of competition for HKC

But it cant accept the new touchpad, would be interesting if they brought out 2 -way sensors for it since the rf touch pad is 2-way ....maybe even change it to the 868mhz freq
    It would cause a bit of competition for HKC

I can understand why they never moved with the times and made the devices two way either. The lads it UTC just shake there head when asked about it.

Tis a shame since the panels are really user friendly, espicially for sight impaired people and the elderly. Can you get 319 mhz freq sensors over here?

Tis a shame since the panels are really user friendly, espicially for sight impaired people and the elderly. Can you get 319 mhz freq sensors over here?

Banned frequency in Europe as far as I know..

Banned? How so? If i was to get a system from the US what could happen?

• Advertisement

Banned? How so? If i was to get a system from the US what could happen?

Don't know why. The older P.W systems like the classics use the 319. It can be upgraded using the concord system and a 319 receiver. Not a good thing to do as the concord again uses the old 433 frequency. It would work but why waste your money on this older system.

There incredibly cheap to buy on ebay €15 quid for the xt panel.... Not many things use this freq over here so wouldnt it be less congested? ?ie low interference?:confused::confused:

There incredibly cheap to buy on ebay €15 quid for the xt panel.... Not many things use this freq over here so wouldnt it be less congested? ?ie low interference?:confused::confused:

Don't waste your money :D

+1 . I wouldn't use it if I got it for nothing.

Awwwwwwwwww:mad: ........fine so ! :D haha

Dont all gang up ! Haha :D

Dont all gang up ! Haha :D

Good advice is not ganging up :D

Kidding !! :D

Kidding !! :D

Ah sure, we might be kidding also :D

• Advertisement

Thats true ;) it could be an amazing awsome panel!

Advertisement