Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router Suitability with USB

Options
  • 07-12-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Guys, I'm kind of new to the wireless world so apologies in advance for the [possibly!] stupid question. :o

I currently use a 3 USB dongle for internet access, and want to create a wireless network in the house. I'm simply wondering whether the USB port on this Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless Router can be used to connect my dongle, or is there something better out there?

Would this, Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router do just as good a job?

We're in a bungalow and the PC is at one end of the house, and access will be required at the other aswell which is why I want something that will have a strong signal.

I wanted to get something which will be future proofed, and that will allow Wireless printer, 2 x phones, PC access with possible streaming of movies from external HDD to TV also.

Any & all advice greatly appreciated!!
    Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You need a router specifically for 3G not either of those.

Also wireless whilst very convenient is subject to RF interference from all sorts of other wireless devices.

Personally I wouldn't use wireless to stream HD movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Thanks FSL. Streaming not of great importance - would be a nice to have as opposed to a need to have - and understand issues of interference. Would you have any personal recommendations around the €60-90 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

There's a sticky over in the Midband (3G) forum dedicated to 3G wireless routers (exactly what you're looking for). Linky.

I have a Dovado 4GR myself and I think it's great and had 'N' wireless (the fastest) so it would be a good bet for streaming (though HD might be a bit of a push!). At €145 it's a bit out of your price range, but for me it seemed to be reliable and Dovado have reps on boards which were extremely helpful when I needed them (though that was a while ago - can't say if they're still as good nowadays).

There are plenty of routers discussed in the above thread though and most should be a bit cheaper!

Advertisement