Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Limerick Forum Xmas tree thread

• 07-12-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hey folks just wondering can someone give me some advice on purchasing my first REAL christmas tree. I know there are plenty of places on the side of the road that sell them but what is the quality like? is there anywhere else to pick up a good quality one?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards
    dunny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I saw some really nice ones on the roxboro shopping centre in this little fruit and veg shop there 35e for a 14ft tree they have some 6ft ones aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

B&Q have some trees's also.
    I'm rather give my money to a local business and not the crowd at the side of the road so am interested where else sells trees....at a reasonable price also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Usually, I went up to Cratloe Woods and got mine there, you can pick your tree then they'll wrap it for easy carriage.

Then about two years ago I've got mine in Sixmilebridge, up at the shop near the church and went back last year and will go again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

phog wrote: »
    Usually, I went up to Cratloe Woods and got mine there, you can pick your tree then they'll wrap it for easy carriage.

Then about two years ago I've got mine in Sixmilebridge, up at the shop near the church and went back last year and will go again this year.
    the Creatloe Woods lads were the most expensive last year, don't know why, and I've tried like 20 different spots in Limerick and its surroundings. ended up getting a tree in Crescent SC for a half what it was in CW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    the Creatloe Woods lads were the most expensive last year, don't know why, and I've tried like 20 different spots in Limerick and its surroundings. ended up getting a tree in Crescent SC for a half what it was in CW

got mine in the crescent last year as well, in the shop unit that used to be a video store. Great selection and best price i found.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 brahma

There is a unit behind omara motors on the ballysimon road (across from wicks) that are selling really nice trees. good price aswell i got one for 30 after major haggling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

There selling them outside the jetland on the ennis road aswell seen it passing today and there seemed to be a good few cars there getting trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Go to Fitzgerald flowers in Eastway business park, proper shop,

thay have lots of other xmas stuff as well inside with LED xmas lights for the tree reduced to 5 from €11.00 ,,, can't go wrong..

All the tree's are visible and the have the net then to pack them in for ya for the car/....

Happy ****mas,

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thousands of acres of Coillte forestries in county Limerick, West Limerick in particular. Just need a car and trailer and a handsaw and take your pick.
    The CEO of Coillte earns more than Barack Obama and Enda Kenny, combined paid for by your taxes, so your tree is already well and truely paid for.!! ;)

P.S. last month he refused point blank to take a pay cut.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

washman3 wrote: »
    The CEO of Coillte earns more than Barack Obama and Enda Kenny, combined paid for by your taxes, so your tree is already well and truely paid for.!! ;)

P.S. last month he refused point blank to take a pay cut.

That's in no way relevant to this thread.
    Thousands of acres of Coillte forestries in county Limerick, West Limerick in particular. Just need a car and trailer and a handsaw and take your pick.

And encouraging illegal activity/stealing is in breach of site-wide rules and guidelines.

Post something useful, or don't post at all.

• Advertisement

That's in no way relevant to this thread.

And encouraging illegal activity/stealing is in breach of site-wide rules and guidelines.

Post something useful, or don't post at all.

Nowhere in my thread was illegal activity or stealing mentioned.
    Every year Coillte and Greenbelt and most private operators clear maintenance paths through the forestries,felling hundreds of trees along the way.
    They will gladly give a person one of these trees if he/she asks for it.
    Most people in the bustling metropolis of Limerick City would hardly be aware of this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just need a car and trailer and a handsaw and take your pick.

Pull the other one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Every year Coillte and Greenbelt and most private operators clear maintenance paths through the forestries,felling hundreds of trees along the way.
    They will gladly give a person one of these trees if he/she asks for it.

you clearly havnt a clue, green belt or any other private companies do not own these forests.....so not only are you encouraging stealing trees off coillte, you are encouraging trespassing onto private property.

these "maintenance paths" you describe are part of a thinning operation and these trees are sold for stakes or pulpwood

finally just to let you know, these forests you're on about are spruce forests, xmas trees are pine or fir trees so again you show how little you know about forestry.... thin you should be more careful with statements about private companies, you'd never know who is reading them

you clearly havnt a clue, green belt or any other private companies do not own these forests.....so not only are you encouraging stealing trees off coillte, you are encouraging trespassing onto private property.

these "maintenance paths" you describe are part of a thinning operation and these trees are sold for stakes or pulpwood

finally just to let you know, these forests you're on about are spruce forests, xmas trees are pine or fir trees so again you show how little you know about forestry.... thin you should be more careful with statements about private companies, you'd never know who is reading them

Forestries in county Limerick consist of Sitka Spruce,Fir and Pine of various varieties. Also hardwood,mainly beach is planted on the perimeter to give the forestry a better look,especially on the public roadside.
    There are no signs of any description stating "no trespassing" on any Coillte/Greenbelt. Quite the opposite in fact, walking on the pathways is encouraged. The only warning signs are placed where logged trees are stored in rather high rows up to 20 feet to discourage climbing on top,for obvious reasons.
    Also, car rallies are becoming increasingly popular in forestries throughout Munster, FYI they are known as "forestry stages"
    And a few weeks ago a very successful treasure hunt was held in a coillte forestry in county Limerick.
    So your theory of "trespassing" is firmly put to bed.
    Larger trees cut during thinning are absolutely useless for stakes, farmers wont even take them for free as,like railway sleepers,they can seep into the water supply causing damage to animals. Instead they are usually left to rot, thus the reason most private wells near forestries are poisened, Sitka Spruce being the major culprit.
    I advise you to check your facts in future rather than accuse posters here of encouraging trespass/theft. Its quite clear from your post that its you,not me,that is talking through a rear end. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭djdunny

Go to Fitzgerald flowers in Eastway business park, proper shop,

thay have lots of other xmas stuff as well inside with LED xmas lights for the tree reduced to 5 from €11.00 ,,, can't go wrong..

All the tree's are visible and the have the net then to pack them in for ya for the car/....

Happy ****mas,

Ken

Ken I took your advice and went out there. Was looking for an excuse to go out that way anyway cos the girlfriend is always ranting on at how good the place is. I got a reasonable size tree for €30 which didnt seem too bad. And I now know where I will be buying all my flowers from now on. That place should be a bargain alert in itself compared to the rip off places around charging a fortune for flowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I stopped at the guys near Jetland/Ivans and was told trees are 45 euro. Trees look a bit scrawny.

There are no signs of any description stating "no trespassing" on any Coillte/Greenbelt. Quite the opposite in fact, walking on the pathways is encouraged.
    Larger trees cut during thinning are absolutely useless for stakes, farmers wont even take them for free as,like railway sleepers,they can seep into the water supply causing damage to animals. Instead they are usually left to rot, thus the reason most private wells near forestries are poisened, Sitka Spruce being the major culprit.

will you please do me one favour? ring green belt or any other private forestry company monday morning and ask them if they encourage people into forests that they have signs outside....then you'll understand what i mean by trespassing

larger trees are used for boxwood/palletwood or sawlog

they dont seep into the water, completly untrue, the problem that is associated with spruce is the needles increasing the acidity levels of the water (this is still being debated amongst the experts). this does not poison water supplies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Forestries in county Limerick consist of Sitka Spruce,Fir and Pine of various varieties. Also hardwood,mainly beach is planted on the perimeter to give the forestry a better look,especially on the public roadside.
    There are no signs of any description stating "no trespassing" on any Coillte/Greenbelt. Quite the opposite in fact, walking on the pathways is encouraged. The only warning signs are placed where logged trees are stored in rather high rows up to 20 feet to discourage climbing on top,for obvious reasons.
    Also, car rallies are becoming increasingly popular in forestries throughout Munster, FYI they are known as "forestry stages"
    And a few weeks ago a very successful treasure hunt was held in a coillte forestry in county Limerick.
    So your theory of "trespassing" is firmly put to bed.
    I advise you to check your facts in future rather than accuse posters here of encouraging trespass/theft. Its quite clear from your post that its you,not me,that is talking through a rear end. ;)
    Sounds like an expert from the EPA.....

all species of pine in limerick account for 9.1% of the total forestry, Douglas fir accounts for 3.2% and other conifers not including sitka and norway spruce or larches accounts for 0.7% .....this totals 13% so unless im missing something limerick doesnt seem to have an abundance of pine and fir for christmas trees(taking into account the age range limit for the average xmas tree)...............these figures are from page 58 of the national forest inventory.

also you are incorrect about the beech, beech accounts for 0.1% of limericks total, i'd say the majority along roads is either birch 1.0%, ash 3.9%, alder 5.6% or other short lived broadleaves such as rowan 3.8%............you are also wrong about the reason for these rows of broadleaves, under the grant scheme there must be a 10m setback from roads for broadleaves and 20m setback for conifers, this is to allow the road to dry properly during the winter months as far more sunlight is allowed through to the road which reduces damage...although i agree it does make the forest look a little better too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

djdunny wrote: »
    Ken I took your advice and went out there. Was looking for an excuse to go out that way anyway cos the girlfriend is always ranting on at how good the place is. I got a reasonable size tree for €30 which didnt seem too bad. And I now know where I will be buying all my flowers from now on. That place should be a bargain alert in itself compared to the rip off places around charging a fortune for flowers.
    Dave Fitzgerald runs a great business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

went to Crescent SC this year again, but the selection wasn't to good. the guy told me their main business is in Ballysimon (not the Ind. Est.), NcNamara is the name
    long story short, got the best tree ever 7ft, e35. I tried all the usual spots, but weren't really happy with prices/selection

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Folks, was gonna get a real tree but decided would be cheaper in long run to get a fake one, how much would you pay for a 6 foot, does it come with stand and lights? and where is best place to but it? thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There was a thread on this a few days ago with some places and prices-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056453337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

33ish euro for a 6ft "pre lit" Christmas Tree in Argos.
    It won't fool anyone into thinking it's a real tree, but it's far from the worst artificial tree. "Pre-lit" means they got someone to tangle normal lights around it before they put it in the box - I thought they were built into the tree before I bought, but no, just normal lights wound through the branches. 3 legs built into the base.

Get a half price decoration set in Tesco - 8.50 for a set that will fill that tree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Anyone know where I can get a decent christmas tree around Limerick...I've had a look around and they all seem pretty scrawny...

Big trees €35 in Penney's.
    100 assorted decorations €8 (I think) (and they come in multi-coloured, a blue/silver mix and a gold mix)
    Not sure how much the lights are, but I'm sure they're not that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

We picked a lovely one for E25 on Sat from Fitzgerald flowers.....can't remember the exact name of the estate but out by B&Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Millie wrote: »
    We picked a lovely one for E25 on Sat from Fitzgerald flowers.....can't remember the exact name of the estate but out by B&Q.

Eastway Business Park, Ballysimon Road. :)

Millie wrote: »

Thanks a mil, the scrawny ones that we came across were going for 40 quid and up...the boyfriends parents went all the way to Curraghchase and ended up paying €50. Can't wait to get a tree and get it up in the living room...it doesn't feel like Christmas yet without it being up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

are you people nuts??????????

tsc 12 quid or aros 7 quid. buy your deco in the 2 euro shop. sorted. get some wilderness air freshner and everyone will think its real. or as someone on the watefor boards told me. get some branches and put them on your heater for awhile and youll get the smell of trees:D

35 quid....................... wow

Advertisement