Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone number

• 07-12-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

My dad died nearly 2 a half years ago, I still have his phone number in my phone, I can't delete it. My phone is now in need of replacement. Should I use this a a chance to delete his number or should I keep it?

I feel guilty even thinking about it as an option, every time I scroll down and see dad I feel sad, yet I smile as I like the gentle reminder.

Any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I think keep it.... I think as long as its not upsetting you then its ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Yes, I see nothing wrong with keeping the number in there if it gives you comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agree with the previous posters :)
    Keep it.....The number sparks a happy smile for you!
    Why lose that connection?
    Keep it and keep smiling too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I know my father's number off by heart even though it's no longer in my phone. Still go to ring it sometimes :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

I haven't been able to ring my husbands number for over two years now. Not only do I have the number-I sometimes send him texts when I'm stressed out about something. :o

It's a comfort thing- keep it grindelwald! What harm is it doing in your phone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I changed phones 6 months ago and still transferred Nan's number to it. Dunno why. Can't even text her as the number is out of service. But it's still nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thanks, thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not alone, that I'm not some lunatic. I've been tempted to ring the number but i haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Keep it, after my nanny died I used to ring to hear the voicemail until the number was out of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭LovelyLottie

Keep it. I kept my mum's number in my phone for years though no voicemail to ring, that would have been nice :) Last summer my phone packed in and i lost all my numbers, but i only realised now reading your post that her number went with it. I guess the fact that i didn't realise i had lost it, meant that i was ready to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just something to be aware off, mobile phone numbers are "recycled" by service providers after a certain length of time. So just be aware of it and don't get a shock if you ring the number in the future and someone happens to answer the phone (it happened to a friend of mine and was very upsetting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Just something to be aware off, mobile phone numbers are "recycled" by service providers after a certain length of time. So just be aware of it and don't get a shock if you ring the number in the future and someone happens to answer the phone (it happened to a friend of mine and was very upsetting).

I seem to remember hearing that on Gerry Ryan one morning. Someone had rang in after losing someone very tragically, and I remember Gerry saying that he would contact the phone company and see to it that the person's phone no wasn't given to anyone else. This was a big fear of the caller that their loved one's no would be given to someone else.
    I still have my Dad's no on my phone almost 14 months after he passed away. I wouldn't even consider deleting it. Having said that I've never rang it and never will, but I just like the fact it's still there. I can still hear the way he answered the phone to me in my head, and that's enough. A huge fear of mine was that I would forget what his voice sounded like:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

My dad will be gone 4 years tomorrow and i still have his phone number in my phone couldn't and won't delete it, its a reminder of him and it makes me feel better when i look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have my new phone, and I kept the number.

Advertisement