Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric softener for newborns clothes..needed or not?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

So I just bought some Ecover non bio detergent for washing all my newborns clothes before he/she arrives and am wondering now if its necessary to get some fabric softener too? I would get the same brand as am trying to eliminate as many chemicals as possible. Also is it better to wash the clothes on a delicate 30 degree wash? They are all new clothes so not dirty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

As long as you're using non bio you should be fine. We have 2 kids and didn't use fabric softener for either of their clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

IMO, fabric softener is another one of those money-making schemes for commercial companies. It's absolutely not necessary at all. In fact, the ingredients & fragrances in them can really irritate sensitive skin.

We have water with horrendous levels of limescale, and I use pure vinegar as a fabric softener. It works just the same (in fact, it's even better b/c it cleans the machine as it goes), costs a fraction and does not irritate skin or noses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks Ayla we don't use softener but wasn't sure if it was needed for babies clothes want then to be nice and soft for newborn skin.
    How much vinegar do you add to your wash? I use vinegar to make my own kitchen and bathroom cleaner but had never heard of it for clothes washing.
    Do you think lower water temp helps keep clothes softer, I don't think the new clothes really need a hot was but not sure again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

How much vinegar? Well, I measure the same way I do most of my baking..."some." That prob explains why my cakes always look funny :D

I put it in the rinsing section of the detergent drawer & the machine takes care of the rest.

When my girls were little I washed most of their (and our) clothes at 30, just b/c we were too cheap to have the cycle on for 2 hrs. Every now & again I'd do a 60 wash just to sanitise & whiten, but more often than not it was 30. Again, the clothes were just fine for their skin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't bother using it on the girls clothes.
    I was the baby clothes on the machines baby cycle but on the old machine 40 degrees and often with the addition of nappisan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

The only time I use fabric softener is on towels for all the family but that's because it think they can get rough over time. Then again I have never tried vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

My 11 month old has eczema and I was told to stop using fabric softener and I use it all the time, but it has made a huge difference to his face in particular. I accidentally put a sheet on the bed which had softener on it and he was so red and itchy for 2 days after..:confused: I find a good blow on the clothes line on a windy day is great for them.

Advertisement