Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation vs Xbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Cheers for all the responses. From what I've read above it seems like the PS3 comes out on top despite the Xbox having a much more comfortable/useable controller.

I understand what games I want to play is also a big factor too. I'll mostly be looking at shooter games e.g. Call of Duty.

Yeah I'll be playing online from time to time but not to surf the web.

I think I'll rarely be using it to watch DVDs as Im happy enough with the old reliable laptop for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    GT5 is simply not in the league of the 360 range of racing titles, from 2 generations of the excellent Forza to the PGR titles.
    Plus you have a controller on the 360 that is so much better to play those titles with.
    Killzone? Fun but not in the same league as either Halo or Gears series.
    Infamous? Not really earth shattering is it? And then the 360 has Crackdown 1 and 2.
    Metal Gear 4 has as many who thought it was the worst in the series and the HD remasters of the best of the series is coming to both formats anyway.
    Warhawk isn't really worthy of the list.
    LBP is fun, I'll grant you, you can have that one!
    Ratchet and Clank? No where near as groundbreaking as they were on the PS2 and even then they often came across as pale versions of Jak and Daxter, another series that didn't get any better with the jump in console generations.
    SOTC/Ico, best games of all time, probably the best reason to own a PS3.
    God of War is another example of the laws of diminishing returns, and Bayonetta kicks it's ass anyhow!
    Resistance is a never ending supply of unimaginative levels, mostly coloured brown and destined to be forgotten about, not a great series at all.
    I'll give you Uncharted as well, great games if a little short.

Gears, Forza, Halo are all some of the best games in the various genres and it completely misses the amazing selection of titles via XBLA, Braid, Limbo, Geometry Wars, Pacman CE, the back catalogue of Xbox originals like Crimson Skies available to download etc.

I think I agreed with you there, since the demise of my launch 60gb PS3 I have not had the need to replace it and instead use a modded Xbox to act as a media hub, which it does very nicely.
    I will pick up another PS3 in the new year but I will really miss the PS2 compatibility big time, a stupid decision by Sony to leave it out.

You get what you pay for, yes, and now after years of pointing out that they are free Sony went and introduced a Gold, sorry, a Plus online experience, what a bunch of hypocrites.

I never said there was a price difference between the two consoles preowned games :confused:: too, but there is simply more variety available on the 360 as the machine has been on the market for longer.

Also the dashboard updates, on the 360, mean that your experience has improved incrementally, with the newest dashboard build online this morning and very nice it is too.

I too, if given a choice, would own both consoles as they both have games that I want to play, no fanboy am I, I am looking towards the new game from the Ico team and NEED a PS3 for that purpose.
    As much as I'd love to play Uncharted 3 after the fun I had with the previous two games, I know that the experience would be fleeting as the games are quite short, a couple of hours over a weekend would see it finished. Pity that.

Theres nothing between both consoles. Some people myself included much prefer the ps controller as I find the xbox one, big clunky and kind of annoying.

If online gaming is not a priority, call round a mates. I'm sure you know at least one person with each console and see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

efla wrote: »
    I'm almost ashamed for putting that up - I've always bought consoles on games alone, and have owned all sony/nintendo/ms since the ps1 (and I look forward immensely to owning a ps3 at some point in the future). I just cant quite take to the PS controller.

I started with the PS1 (well, a Pong machine back in the 80's) and never actually owned an original Xbox, but i remember the Xbox controller being too bulky to use. But, if i owned the Xbox or even a Dreamcast the size of the controller would have grown on me.

I had a PS3 before a 360 and when i got the 360 i thought i would never be able to get used to the controller, but now there's much of a muchness between them, but i still do prefer the PS controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

DarkJager wrote: »
    Not to sound like a fanboy but in terms if controller design I don't know how anyone uses a dualshock or would prefer it over the xbox pad. You need almost child like hands to use it while the xbox pad is much more comfortable with better spacing of the sticks and buttons.

I agree the 360 pad is better, but it's not like the dualshock is impossible to play with, and I barely notice a difference. Been using the dualshock since about 1998 and can't say I've ever had a problem with them or felt they were too uncomfortable. Like I said, I agree the 360 pad is better, but it wouldn't be a huge factor in what console I bought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I started with the PS1 (well, a Pong machine back in the 80's) and never actually owned an original Xbox, but i remember the Xbox controller being too bulky to use. But, if i owned the Xbox or even a Dreamcast the size of the controller would have grown on me.

I had a PS3 before a 360 and when i got the 360 i thought i would never be able to get used to the controller, but now there's much of a muchness between them, but i still do prefer the PS controller.

Nothing beats a dreamcast controller :)

or perhaps :eek:

And yes, I seem to remember the first xbox controller feeling like a brick. I probably need to dust off the ps2 for a while... I think it is the placing of the sticks - made fps' a little unwieldy

• Advertisement

Does the PS3 have better graphics? I mean, if you have just a standard TV how likely is it that you'll be able to tell any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Does the PS3 have better graphics? I mean, if you have just a standard TV how likely is it that you'll be able to tell any difference?

They're pretty similar. If it's just a standard TV 32" or less, I doubt you'll ever see a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both pretty much identical really. Xbox 360 has has a slight advantage in carrying out transparent alpha effects far more efficiently than the PS3. PS3 has a much better shadow algorithm and has more advanced shader effects so can cover up the video memory deficiencies it has by placing nce shaders over low res textures.

They both have pros and cons. If a game is specifically made for the hardware like Uncharted 2 or Halo Reach and GoW 3 on the 360 they look stunning and excel in the ares that the console is strong in. It used to be that third party games looked much better on the 360 but in the last 2 years there's very little between them. If you had the games side by side you'd have to be looking very hard to find differences and in the vast majority of cases the games are basically like for like.

Look at the digital foundry articles on eurogamer for a comparison between systems. Lately they haven't been able to find much difference between multiplatform games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I've decided to go with the playstation.......does anyone have any suggestions of where I could pick one up for a decent price? Should I be looking at gamestop, argos, smyths etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

thunderdog wrote: »
    I've decided to go with the playstation.......does anyone have any suggestions of where I could pick one up for a decent price? Should I be looking at gamestop, argos, smyths etc??

As a former owner of both let me tell you something, you are making a huge mistake not that I give a rats ass what you buy bunt the ps is a pile of crap compared to xbox360 well has some good games ie uncharted and little big planet..

Buy online defo will be cheaper

• Advertisement
Advertisement