Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy in 2012 or 2013

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Huh?...It already has in "leafier" suburbs and continues too...slowly but steadily they are falling and falling.

The new property tax should speed it up a little as well.

Once upon a time- a teacher could buy a property on 4 times the multiple of their (then) salary on Leinster Road in Rathmines (D6). Assuming a current teacher has a significant number of increments under their belt- their salary might be a little under 50k, using a similar multiplier- this would infer a current day price of ~200k for a property on Leinster Road.

During the boom these changed hands at 1.2-1.5million. This would signify that prices in this area would have to fall over 80% from peak, to reach a similar level of affordability that they were at 25 years ago.

They are currently around 450-500k, which means they could potentially fall another 50% on their current market prices.........

Sigh.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

smccarrick wrote: »
    Once upon a time- a teacher could buy a property on 4 times the multiple of their (then) salary on Leinster Road in Rathmines (D6). Assuming a current teacher has a significant number of increments under their belt- their salary might be a little under 50k, using a similar multiplier- this would infer a current day price of ~200k for a property on Leinster Road.

During the boom these changed hands at 1.2-1.5million. This would signify that prices in this area would have to fall over 80% from peak, to reach a similar level of affordability that they were at 25 years ago.

They are currently around 450-500k, which means they could potentially fall another 50% on their current market prices.........

Sigh.........

+1. Prices have a long way to drop yet, so best wait another year or 2 anyway before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Im really looking forward to buying but in no hurry yet. I want to wait and see what happens in Europe. Not buying 18 months ago has saved me tens of thousands and instead of getting a 35 year mortgage I would be getting a 20 or even 15 year one and still be making the same repayments. That's just the last 18 months, wonder what the next 18 months will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kildon

if the bottom price was 60% below the peak ( I know we can't possibly know what it is until it has happened), would you buy today or wait for the CSO index to hit -60%, I think buyers should ignore the index and use what they think is the bottom and ask for it today...that's my two cents worth

Advertisement