Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headgehog ???

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Strange request, would anyone know where to get a headghog.I need it for the snails etc in my back garden, and my daughter is going to ask for one for me for Christmas.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cathy01 wrote: »
    Strange request, would anyone know where to get a headghog.I need it for the snails etc in my back garden, and my daughter is going to ask for one for me for Christmas.:o

Thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055360415

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could try an animal sanctuary for one that has lost a leg or something that stops it from been able to cope in the wild, they will also be able to treat it for fleas for you. Lovely christmas present :D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I don't think they are pets. They are wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I have been saying for ages how I have to get one to help control the bugs in the garden and now, its on the list, a special present for me.:D
    Ill try the pet rescue places.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they hibernate during the winter months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Janey mac, I thought a headgehog was ok to stay in the open.Wondering around the garden.Holy mother, .....anyone know where to get a wind up headgehog:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Wonderful creatures. One got stuck in my shed a while back. Left a camera in there overnight with it. The sounds he made were comical. Come day light I cleared the shed to prompt his departure. He was in no rush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I don't think they are pets. They are wild animals.

There's no thinking about it, they are definitely wild animals and totally inappropriate as pets to the point of cruelty as they need to wander miles every night. No animal sanctuary would ever hand one out as a pet. They also have amazing skills for escaping.

If you have a slug problem either use the old drown them in a cup of beer method or encourage hedgehogs to visit your garden by leaving some wet catfood out.

Had one living in our garden in a rented place a few years ago, the garden was overgrown and unattended so he stuck round, used to see him wandering by when outside having a smoke. Then he started standing up against the glass door and scratching it, frightened the beejeesus out of me first time. I'd go over, open the door, he'd sort of stare at me (not sure what their sight is like?) and just walk back into the shrubs. You can encourage them, but you can no more contain them than you could a wild badger. I believe they're also a protected species?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

we had one about 20yrs ago that slept with our spaniel for about 5years then dissappeared, now we have a pheasant which comes into garden for food.. both are not pets but u love watching them..matural irish wildlife is wonderfull too be around..

• Advertisement
Advertisement