Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open on Christmas Day?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

We are 3 vegetarians. I am not a good cook and I am tired of the vegi stuff I buy in Tesco - Its fine every evening but not for Christmas Day. I wonder would anybody know of a Chinese, Indian or other place that might be open on Christmas Day where I could pick up some vegi currys etc, etc. I live in Cork.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

In my experience, the only eateries open on Christmas day are hotels. Restaurants are never open.

Would you consider booking into a hotel for dinner, letting them know of your veggie status in advance?

Alternatively people could suggest simple and delicious veggie meals for you to cook for Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You might get some ideas here in this thread. Otherwise I'd suggest buying a meal in advance. Does the Quay Co Op prepare Christmas dinners? Or Cafe Paradiso?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Thank you neuro-praxis. Wd be great to get very SIMPLE recepies. Hotels would be out really. Thanks Sweet-rasmus - that link was very useful. Cafe Paradiso take a long Christmas vacation. I bought two roasts from Quay Co-op last year - Chicken and Beef - they were awful!. We try so hard to be vegetarians as we love animals so much but we never really get an interesting meal - that is my cooking of course - so Tesco it has been!. But anyway, its worth it as we would never again return to eating meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

For a simple easy dinner why not pick up one of those granose nut roast kits from the HFS? All you do is mix it with water and pop into the container it comes with.

Get a nice grave or sauce to go with it and do all your veggies as normal.

If you are feeling more adventurous then there are loads of easy things to make http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/vegetarian-christmas/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Marks & Spencer nut roasts with Cranberry glaze are lovely - get a selection of sides and you're laughing.

Actually keep an eye out for close to out of date nut roasts in M&S, they usually reduce them quite a bit (less than half price) freeze them when you buy them, then defrost christmas eve and cook christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ok, well a simple meal would be a curry. You had mentioned getting a curry for your Christmas dinner, why not try this?

Buy a jar of Patak's curry paste and a can of coconut milk.

Get a selection of your favourite vegetables - I suggest mushrooms, squash, onions, cauliflower and broccoli. Chop them into bite sized pieces and stir fry them in a little oil for 3 minutes. Add in a couple of tablespoons of curry paste and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes. Add in your can of coconut milk and if you like, a can of tomatoes. Leave to simmer until the veg is tender. Taste the sauce and see if it needs salt, pepper or sugar. If you like it spicy, you might want to add a fresh chilli or two when frying off the veg.

When the veg is tender and the sauce has thickened, eat with boiled basmati rice, shop bought poppadoms, sour cream, mango chutney, buttered naan bread.

Pick up some vegetarian Christmas pudding and custard for dessert and you've got a complete feast. If you are not into curries let us know, and I will make some other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Thank you all so very much for your most helpful suggestions. Will see what I can manage!.

Advertisement