Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reel line # for DT line ?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello, I just bought a nice Sage VPS 490 9ft #4 and would like to gear it with a DT line. I had the issue on a previous rod that a DT4 wouldn't fit on a #4 reel .... and was explained at the time that I needed to get one line rating over in capacity for the DT line - for ex : a #5 reel for a DT4.

Is that correct ? I want to know before I get the reel. also Pflueger Trion do either #4 or 5/6 which I think will be too big for the rod ... there is no 4/5 of course ... I think I would have to get the Greys streamlite.

thanks for your advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

In an ideal world, a #4 reel should take a #4 line plus a minimum of 50 yards of backing.
    There are differences in the diameters of fly lines however, between manufacturers. This is especially true of floating lines.
    Most manufacturers rate the capacity of reels in relation to sinking lines which are narrower and generally more even.

You would probably be better off with the #5/6 reel. There is less chance of the line fouling the cage of the reel and damaging the line over time.
    There is also a marginal advantage in the speed of retrieve, as the diameter of the drum increases.
    And you will need to load a decent quantity of backing - as the old saying goes; 'You might not need it very often, but when you do, you need it really badly'.

The weight difference between a #4 and a #5/6 will not make a huge difference to your casting - in fact, it can make a rod/reel combination more comfortable to use if there is a little extra weight towards the butt of the rod. A reel that is too light for the rod, can feel as if the rod is loading towards the tip while casting over the course of a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

thanks for the advice. I'm hesitating between the Pflueger Trion 5/6 and the Greys streamlite 4/5

any experience with these 2 reels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

BoarHunter wrote: »
    thanks for the advice. I'm hesitating between the Pflueger Trion 5/6 and the Greys streamlite 4/5

i have the trion, in fact i have two of them, and its a good reel, i dont have the greys so cant comment, i like the trion and am happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Thanks IBD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I recommend anyone starting fly fishing to get an Okuma Airframe reels - they are dirt cheap, easy to use & clean and leave a lot of more expensive reels for dead in the salt water dept. I use the 4-6 for mostly but the 7-9 for SWFF, pike and sea trout.

The 7-9 weight handled a 17lb sea trout on the Rio Grande no bother in 2008! Lost a much bigger fish aswell (nothing to do with the reel). I've also caught pike aswell.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

BoarHunter wrote: »

I have a trion in a larger size - it's quite a heavy reel, very solid though. Personally I wouldn't fancy one on a 4#. I haven't used a streamlite but I've heard people say they can be a bit flimsy, particularly the drag.

I think the main criteria for a 4# reel is lightness so I wouldn't go bigger than 4/5 I have a double taper 4# line on a 3/4 reel. I cut a good bit off the reel end of the line - I'm never going to need more than 20 yards of line anyway for this kind of fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

i have the trion , excellent reel but go for the slightly larger reel for the 4 rated line . it stops the casing catching on the line and destroying it .

Advertisement