Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU and heatsink - Hardwareversand

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi, I got my pc today from hardware Versand everything looks fine but in the AMD athlon 455 x3 processing box which usually contains a heatsink fan and a chip there was only a heatsink fan, I took it that the cpu was installed into the heatsink part and was ready to be installed into the actual comp but when I went to do this there was no space or area for this to be done, I had bought a heat cool piper for 15 euro that was installed into the pc and I am wondering whether this is being used instead of the heatsink fan to allow the CPU to work.. I am really lost at this stage as what to do, has anybody else had this problem? PS by the looks of it, there is no cpu chip in the main part of heatsink.. I am a noobie to computers so this may seem stupid to some but I am unsure what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ok, you've got me a little confused. You're using terms interchangeably, and it's a bit difficult to figure out what's where.

Try and explain what's going on, as simply as possible.

Is your CPU (the little 1" square yoke) in your motherboard?
    Is the heatsink (the bgger, blocky metal thing with the fan) installed on the motherboard, on top of the the CPU, as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mk94

The CPU(chip) was not in its packaging in the box but the heatsink was, i asked for the build option from hardwareversand and everything did come built except the CPU ie the chip and the heatsink, now I don't know what to do because there is nowhere to place it on the mainboard when I checked and I also could not see the chip which should be on the mainboard..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Top centre of the board, is there a heatsink? Like this?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39770&agid=669 I got this installed in the comp after being advised too, I was wondering if this was being used instead as the cooler for the CPU chip and yes it is like that, but the amd athlon 455 x3 I got came uninstalled unlike everything else and the cpu chip was also missing from the its packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you ordered a retail CPU for a machine they built for you and ordered an aftermarket heatsink like the one you ordered then the CPU box will be missing the CPU but have the stock heatsink in it as the other heatsink and CPU will have been installed on the motherboard.

Just have a look at the motherboard and see if the big heatsink you linked to is installed on it. If it is, everything is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

If im reading it right here, you ordered it prebuilt and bought an aftermarth heatsink?. If so everything should be fine, the second cooler is the stock one that comes with the cpu's , and they just sent it to you because its yours

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can you post photos of what you have. If you ordered it prebuilt it should be built.

Is there a CPU in the Socket? Is there a lump of metal with fins and a fan on top of that?
    Did you buy a third party heatsink and a boxed CPU with stock heatsink that the guys a HWS threw into the box as a spare?

Yes I added everything thing to the online cart and then added the prebuilt option. the pc arrived today with everything installed except this heatsink fan which was in the amd athlon box(which did not contain a CPU chip) I opened up the PC and checked if this heatsink fan could be put somewhere and there was nowhere, so after realising that what I have just showed above in the link was installed I started to believe that the installed heatpipe cooler in the above link was being used instead of the amd heatsink and that they just left that for a spair, as I said I am a noobie to all this so I am sorry if I am confusing youse but this is important :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mk94 wrote: »
    Yes I added everything thing to the online cart and then added the prebuilt option. the pc arrived today with everything installed except this heatsink fan which was in the amd athlon box(which did not contain a CPU chip) I opened up the PC and checked if this heatsink fan could be put somewhere and there was nowhere, so after realising that what I have just showed above in the link was installed I started to believe that the installed heatpipe cooler in the above link was being used instead of the amd heatsink and that they just left that for a spair, as I said I am a noobie to all this so I am sorry if I am confusing youse but this is important :)

You can only ever use one heatsink. So if you ordered two like you did, then one will be left over and not used.

Ahhh... well thats good, can I just ask one more question, the AMD heatsink I slightly grazed the heatpaste with my thumb but by what your saying I won't be using that now... this won't effect it though in the future if ever needed no ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mk94 wrote: »
    Ahhh... well thats good, can I just ask one more question, the AMD heatsink I slightly grazed the heatpaste with my thumb but by what your saying I won't be using that now... this won't effect it though in the future if ever needed no ?

To be honest if it has been unused for quite a while, you would be better off cleaning off the old stuff and applying new paste anyway if a time comes when you want to use it again.

Advertisement