Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Charging Me a 25% Premium on Gas

Options
  • 07-12-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Got this letter today from Bord Gais.

Dear 40now
    We wish to inform you that the above balance (€202) remains due in respect of gas supplied prior to installation of our gas-card meter.

In order to recover this overdue debt your unit rate will include a premium of 25%, This premium will continue to apply until the overdue debt is cleared in full.

If you should have any queries blah blah blah contact us at this number.

Now if I top up my gas card they take a small amount off the debt that I owe them so can they also charge me a premium for the gas that I use on a daily basis.

Since last night when I topped up by €20 they took the €5 emergency that I owed, 69cent off my arrears and €14.31 credit was applied to use in gas credit. My meter reading yesterday was 112.453 and now it is 117.948 a difference of 5.495 units and my credit balance is €10.24. I make it out as €3.11 worth of gas used and I should have over €11.20 left, I know it doesn't sound much but over a month it adds up.

Not too sure but I hope this makes sense, can they basically charge me twice for my small arrears or am I better off paying my bill and getting B/G to take away their meter. Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't see what the problem is. Not once in your post did you mention trying to arrange repayment of what you own, but you still expect to receive a service off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think owing €200 is too little to subject you to those meters. They delay the repayment to any arrears by months.

A friend of mine owed a similar amount, I told her to offer a certain amount per week to clear the bill within 8 weeks but they refused and installed the meter. The wanted 2 payments of €100 week.

At the current rate it will take her 1 year to repay the €220. Also she is paying the highest possible Bord Gais tariff.

OP, I think you should query what tarrif you are on and get the amount per unit quoted to you in writing. Also contact Mabs and see if they can put a better case to the gas company for you and end up with getting rid of that meter.

Also take photos of the meter and the figures on it as when you call, Bord Gais dont seem to have access to the same figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I assume the 25% premium is knocked off the amount owed on the debt so it isn't going to waste. Seems a little odd to take money out of the top-up then also mark up the gas as the same result could be obtained by simply taking more off the top-up. If the 25% doesn't go towards the debt then you'd clearly be better off paying the debt as you're essentially paying interest on it. I don't know anything about this myself so you'll have to ring the number they gave you.

Advertisement