Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MythBusters Destroy Dublin [US]

• 07-12-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

...in California. Fcuking hell :eek:
    DUBLIN, Calif. (CBS) — A cast iron cannonball rocketed through two homes and landed inside a minivan Tuesday when a “Mythbusters” TV experiment went wrong.

Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are hosts of the scientific experimentation show, which airs on The Discovery Channel. The pair was reportedly trying to figure out how fast a cannonball would travel, when it misfired and shot hundreds of feet in the air.

“This cannonball was supposed to go through several barrels of water and through a cinder block, and then ultimately into the side of the hill,” said J.D. Nelson of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department.

Instead the cannonball flew over the foothills surrounding Camp Parks Military Firing Reservation, before spiraling back toward Dublin like a cruise missile.

It flew straight though the front door of a home on Cassata Place, and bounced around like a pinball, flying up to the second floor before blasting through a back bedroom wall.

The wayward cannonball then blasted across a busy road and through a second home some 50 yards away, demolishing roof tiles.

The homeowner’s mother was frightened.

“It was a very loud boom; she thought a tree fell, maybe a meteor,” said Ming Jiang. “It wasn’t clear that it was a cannonball landing on the roof.”

The out of control cannonball finally came to a stop inside Jasper Gill’s minivan.

“It hit the dash, through the passenger window,” said Gill, who had gotten out of the vehicle just 10 minutes before the ball struck. “I’m lucky I’m alive.”

Incredibly, no one was injured in the mishap.

Officials said Mythbusters had been using the firing reservation for the last eight years for similar experiments, but none had gone awry.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/12/06/tv-experiment-goes-awry-sends-cannonball-rocketing-through-homes/

Get ready for the Health & Safety brigade to call for the shows immediate cancellation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

I hope they show this one before they canel it, should get a lot of ratings if they do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

That's terrible

Dublin still exists. Thread disappoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Love the show, its amazing this is all that went wrong,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

“It was a very loud boom; she thought a tree fell, maybe a meteor,” said Ming Jiang.

Who the fcuk hears a bang and thinks "oh no, meteor :eek:"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The homeowner’s mother was frightened.

no ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

sgb wrote: »
    That's terrible
    Are ya mad? That's cool!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'd say it would be about as likely as a cannon ball being fired into your house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

A M E R I C A N S!!!!!!

But yeah I really hope they show it on tv :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Daemos wrote: »
    Get ready for the PC brigade to call for the shows immediate cancellation.

"You can't have a TV show shooting cannon balls around the place. What if it offends the Jews!?"?

I'd say it would be about as likely as a cannon ball being fired into your house

Maybe Al Queda have had severe budget cutbacks and have resorted to using cannons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No that's the Health and Safety brigade you're thinking of.

I must renew my membership actually.

Oh and 'down with this sort of thing - careful now - rabble rabble rabble'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Walter Pugman

Busted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/12/06/tv-experiment-goes-awry-sends-cannonball-rocketing-through-homes/

...in a country where they have a civillian 'artillery olympics'. That'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Are there any fields near the Dail that the we lend to Mythbusters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's what happens when you build houses out of wood. A good solid brick house now would have stopped that dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I heard a myth that the Dail is bomb-proof. We should get them over to dispel, or confirm, that myth.

With awesome results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

These mythbusters have no respect for peoples property and all in the name of making money passed off as some scientific show. Cancel this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Kari would definatly receive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

seamus wrote: »
    That's what happens when you build houses out of wood. A good solid brick house now would have stopped that dead.

We need to test that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hopefully this is just a storm in a tea cup and doesn't affect the show. It's highly entertaining. I also love that they genuinely seem to get along with each other and enjoy doing the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

But did it go wrong? Did it?;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Linoge wrote: »

"Good evening, I'm Dan Ashley. Carolyn Johnson is off tonight... fortunately no one was hurt."

:pac:

In fairness, 8 years is a good run without a whoopsie

I wonder will this be their "Hamster crash"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

But... but..... Kari Byron...... NOOOOOO! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

PC brigade? what do you think political correctness means? what you are thiking of is health and safety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KeithAFC wrote: »
    These mythbusters have no respect for peoples property and all in the name of making money passed off as some scientific show. Cancel this show.

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Awful show. Cancel it.

bleg wrote: »
    Awful show. Cancel it.

Great show. Don't cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

bleg wrote: »
    Awful show. Cancel it.

You just got checkmate'd! \/ \/ \/
    Great show. Don't cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Mythbusters is a load of crap. Grown men and women acting like children blowing things up. I'd love if it got cancelled and they put something decent on instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

KeithAFC wrote: »

It was an isolated incident where something went wrong. How does that mean lack of respect for peoples property?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Gardaí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

It means yank houses are built like ****, that's what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mythbusters is a load of crap. Grown men and women acting like children blowing things up. I'd love if it got cancelled and they put something decent on instead.

its a fun show that lots of people around the world like.......if you don't like it don't watch it, simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Gardaí

Came here for this. Leaving satisfied. 'Must have been a mee-tree-ite hit the line' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Grown men and women blowing stuff up is entertaining, and they do it in an informative manner where they explain what they are doing. You can learn much from the show, unlike the X-Factor, Britain's got Talent, etc

By far one of the best shows on TV. What do you suggest they replace it with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its a fun show that lots of people around the world like.......if you don't like it don't watch it, simples
    It's a load of rubbish that paved the way for other rubbish like Destroyed In Seconds and that other pile of crap where they saw things in half with a chainsaw.

Programmes that are on a channel called 'Discovery' should actually teach you something rather than being about blowing things up just for the sake of it.

These types of programmes are ruining the documentary channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

No that's the Health and Safety brigade you're thinking of.
    PC brigade? what do you think political correctness means? what you are thiking of is health and safety.
    Yep sorry, wrong bunch of nutjobs

It's a load of rubbish that paved the way for other rubbish like Destroyed In Seconds and that other pile of crap where they saw things in half with a chainsaw.

Programmes that are on a channel called 'Discovery' should actually teach you something rather than being about blowing things up just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Watching animals procreate FTW!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

$$$$$ signs for the homeowners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

$$$$$ signs for the homeowners.

Exactly.
    News Report did say the show is "on hold" ... I say its assement time. This could mark the end for Mythbusters.

I watch the show and many times they have stated they couldnt do certain myths the way they wanted to because of insurance. There is going to be a big pay out for those home owners out of the insurance which will raise the cost up for further 'myths' they test.

.. this could end it. I doubt it cause its VERY popular. But you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A couple of points to note:
    - the cannon firing was done on police property, with their full approval and bomb squad officers in attendance;
    - that cannon has been on the show before, and that time it was operated by its owners, not by the cast of the show. They're in the pictures this time too, so it's reasonable to assume that was the case yesterday too.
    Say what you like about the Mythbusters, but they are not too proud to get professional help when dealing with dangerous things.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Here's one of the balls they used in the experiment :D.
    I suck at mspaint shop :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I f*cking love mythbusters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

orourkeda wrote: »
    I f*cking love mythbusters

Like it too :)
    I'm just waiting till around 3:20am ... new episode straight from the states baby! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement