Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock Help - ASUStek Basswood 3G

Options
  • 07-12-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Over the next few months I'm going to be building myself a PC.

In the meantime I want to get the most possible out of my current system, and what better way than doing it that overclocking it!!

I'm going to try and provide as much information here as possible to help you guys help me in my overclocking attempts.

Model/Name: HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8070.uk - Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

Processor
    Type: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology: Quad-Core
    64-bit Computing: Yes
    Installed Qty: 1
    Max Supported Qty: 1

Mainboard
    Chipset Type: Intel P965 Express

Graphics controller
    Graphics Processor / Vendor: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1GB

Memory
    DDR2 3GB's

So my question is.. where do I start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

you start in the bios but i think its all about crunching numbers so its kinda scarey m8:) maybe ya might be better off waiting till you get a board that has overclocking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Model/Name:HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8070.uk - Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

Your motherboard is a bog standard locked down OEM POS.
    OEM boards generally do not have the features enabled to allow overclocking. Their target audience don't overclock plus the less options you put in the bios the less there is for customers to break....
    Top that off with a cooler which will not be designed in any way shape or form for overclocking: personally with that pc I wouldn't bother.

You could try software overclocking but you would need to keep an eye on the cpu temps.
    Another option is to download a modified bios and change the bios for the motherboard (if one exists) or physically mod the motherboard (depends on motherboard version)
    I would wait for the new build and do it properly then when you have the right motherboard for the job and the right cooling in place.

Have a read of this: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2007/07/25/overclocking_intel_core_2_quad_q6600/1

Overclocking guide for a Q6600. Gives a rough idea what steps you would need to take in the bios (in a bios that has overclocking options...).

Compare to overclocking a modern i2500K
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

You will note from both articles hardware choice is a big part of overclocking: you need quality parts to get a good clock.

Advertisement