Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview with Photographer: Taryn Simon

• 07-12-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Matt Black's video interview with Taryn Simon: True Shot for nowness.com
    The Celebrated American Artist Reveals the Ideas Pushing Her to the Limits of Photography

Talks a bit about her motivations and better know projects 5min49s

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Interesting to watch and I love her work.

However, maybe it's just me, but I didn't "get" a lot of what she was saying. I'm a pretty down to earth guy with a basic grasp of the English language.
    I find it hard to understand a lot of what artists go on about sometimes. At one point she used the phrase "....shedding artistic embellishment...." in a sentence and I've no idea what she's on about. I replayed it a few times but still no joy.

I don't want to sound like a complete muppet, but does everyone here understand these "artists statements"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I think the was a thread here not so long ago that delt with Art Bollocks.
    I thought most of the interview was pretty clear up until those last few
    statements, but some of that can come about through editing as well.

There was a nice profile of an Irish tweed manufacture, Molloy & Sons,
    one page/day back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I find it hard to understand a lot of what artists go on about sometimes. At one point she used the phrase "....shedding artistic embellishment...."

She actually said "shedding aesthetic embellishment" and explained directly afterwards that she meant paying less attention to lighting or colour or other aesthetic aspects of her photos.

There are many times I don't understand artist's statements but I actually thought that she explained her motives and themes really clearly in that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

alb wrote: »
    that she meant paying less attention to lighting or colour or other aesthetic aspects of her photos.

So when does it become just a "name" firing of a few snap shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Burnt wrote: »
    So when does it become just a "name" firing of a few snap shots?

Huh? She talking about not looking at how pretty or good her images *look* - that really is only the surface level of an image, she pares them back. Most contemporary art photographers do this. There are concepts behind each set of images that go beyond what most of us here would utilise. They're about as far removed from 'snap shots' as you can get.

(and what's so wrong with snap shots anyway?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement