Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene stolen

Options
  • 07-12-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up, we had our kerosene tank emptied sometime between it being filled up on Friday night and last night. It was out on the Ardee Road just outside of Kells.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

piperh wrote: »
    Just a heads up, we had our kerosene tank emptied sometime between it being filled up on Friday night and last night. It was out on the Ardee Road just outside of Kells.:mad::mad:

You need to get a big lock on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

An all too comon occurance these days and with the price of fuel at an all time peak it will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kilmurray

I live outside Trim and ours were taken on that week as well. We ordered oil on Tuesday(1200 liter) and was taken between Friday and Saturday. It was completely empty.We were changing boiler so didn't know we had oil stolen until the following week when boiler was connected. Gardai even didn't bother come out to have a look. We have a lock but they did not touch lock and no hole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Kilmurray wrote: »
    We have a lock but they did not touch lock and no hole either.

So how did they steal it then??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Those two thefts came very fast after both deliveries. Are they following the delivery lorry or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

staker wrote: »
    Those two thefts came very fast after both deliveries. Are they following the delivery lorry or what?

Staker when we mentioned it to a couple of people that was their train of thought to. Its certainly possible.

chewed wrote: »
    So how did they steal it then??? :confused:

That's our confusion as well and disgusted by the amount of money I had to pay for something I never got to use any of it. Gardai could not provide any answer either so our wild guess is whether they unscrewed the connection from tank to hose and drained out.

I do think the lorry was followed( we had no oil until that week for nearly three months) and think they were only targeting oil as I mentiond we were changing over boiler and boiler was delivered same week but they didn't touch it

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Are you sure you don't have a leaky tank Kilmurray ? It sounds strange that they bothered to connect the pipe back up after draining it ?

Lots of this going on all over the county at the moment though. Best defense is a big dog, and failing that lots of lights/CCTV.

Well if ten of us including plumber,electrician, and all the neighbours could not spot smell of 1200 liter of oil, I don't think that's the case. Oil just doesn't disappear into the ground. We have a dog and three PIR sensor lights and oil tank is outside our bedroom window.

As we said it is just our wild guess and only explanation. Some suggested oil guy never delivered to us but I was standing beside him when he was pumping into tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Yeah you'd smell it alright if it was a leak. Is there a second cap on the top of the tank by any chance, where a level meter could be installed ? I think ours has one of those which could be popped off. They may have pumped it out from there ?

According to the local gardai, most burglaries are happening during broad daylight at the moment - between 12pm and 3pm.

Locking the gate is another good deterrent. It won't stop them jumping over it, but it does stop them driving a van in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement