Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about second year business?? :)

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anyone any info on semester 2 of second year?? Economics and Finance Major. Any advice/tips?? Ive been warned about stats already but if anyone has anything else they can share....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Yes!!! I wish i had asked this! Pick marketing and entrepreneurship mostly project work so only 2 exams....DONT pick the FYP!

Im doing economics and finance regret it so much. Modules like entrepreneurship let you learn skills that will be really useful in work after college

I went for an interview for a big accountancy firm they didnt ask anything on my economics and finance bit were really interested in entrepreneurship

Picking marketing puts you at a great advantage because you still have to do your acca's if you want to go down the accountancy route so your much more well rounded

Learning practical skills is so important...theory didnt do me much favours on coop 100% marketing and entrepreneurship!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

kflynn wrote: »
    Yes!!! I wish i had asked this! Pick marketing and entrepreneurship mostly project work so only 2 exams....DONT pick the FYP!

You appear a tad bit confused between the major and minor options kflynn...

The Major options are:
    Accounting & Finance
    Economics & Finance
    Human Resource Management
    Marketing
    Risk Management & Insurance

There is no entrepreneurship element to the marketing option.
    Your major option also has nothing to do with an FYP. The FYP is one of the several minor options.

So to actually address the question asked (since it appears the OP is in 2nd year first semester and as a result would have already chosen their major option.)
    Has anyone any info on semester 2 of second year?? Economics and Finance Major. Any advice/tips??

You have two modules relating the the Economics and Finance major option is 2nd year semester 2:
    EC4014 - International Economics
    EC4024 - Financial Economics

EC4014 is (or at least it was when I did it) a theory based module looking at stuff such trade theory - why nations trade, trade policy - tariffs, economic integration - types, european fiscal integration.

EC4024 was less theory based and more applied. It looked at stuff like arbitrage, interest, exchange rates, stock prices, etc... but with only a small theory focus - more 'plot out the exchange rate and and suggest reasons for movement in rates during certain time bands'

They are straight forward modules, they act as building blocks for modules in 3rd and 4th year so the content isn't very 'deep' yet, but it's important you gain an understanding of the content for later modules.
    Ive been warned about stats already but if anyone has anything else they can share....:D
    What are the 'stats' that you know of?

Were you trying to refer to MA4104? You didn't structure your post very clearly (which might in part be why kflynn when all over the place with his answer - he might be smoking something too)
    MA4104 isn't that bad in all fairness, don't treat it like a 'I'll go to the lecture and take notes and then maybe go to tutorials'. It's a maths module... how do you do maths? By practice. The issue is people try to 'learn the module off'. You can't memorise a maths module.

So if your question was: I'm going into 2nd year 2nd semester of business doing econ&finance as my major. I'll be taking the modules EP4003, PM4044, MA4104, EC4014 and EC4024. Does anyone have any advise?

My answer would be:
    EP4003 - I forget, sorry.
    PM4044 - A theory module, lots of raw learning required.
    MA4104 - Stats, you learn through practice. Confused? Practice some more
    EC4014 - Theory, trade policy, economic integration
    EC4024 - A more applied econ. module. Arbitrage, interest, exchange rates

Picking marketing puts you at a great advantage because you still have to do your acca's if you want to go down the accountancy route so your much more well rounded

Picking marketing if you wish to do professional accounting qualifications makes you 'more well rounded' because when you graduate you'll have no accounting exemptions! You'll then have to do your professional accounting exams without exemptions - That's like doing a whole other degree I'd imagine. :confused:

That would litteraly add years to the amount of time it would take before your finished your professional accounting exams :eek:

Of course you'll be 'more well rounded' if you do 2 degrees as opposed to 1... :D

You might as well do something completely unrelated to accounting if you want to be 'more well rounded' taking your approach. Why not do equine science and the do the ACCA exams? :D
    theory didnt do me much favours on coop 100%
    Theory tends not to help as much in practice...

"Hey guys, Pearl Harbour was 70 years ago today"
    "That's great, now go back to your desk and work"

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Yes i said theory doesnt help why are you repeating it?

God your very annoying! You get the contract for 3 and a half years anyway and you dont get that many exemptions....and yes you need to be well rounded learning a business plan, making contacts(I got a job from a contact in entrepreneurship), learning theory as you go will help you greatly in a corporate finance role. Its as good as 2 degrees and does not add much time on! I know people doing it.

Look this is on the advice of a partner in a big firm so.....think hes a bit more qualified

Nothing wrong with doing equine science and accounting, if you work in insolvency and are appointed over stables you will be a major benefit....if you work in corporate finance you will be able to get clients in that industry....

End of my participation in this hate when threads get like this

Best of luck OP for the rest of the course!

God your very annoying!

And you have done nothing to answer the OP's question. All you've done is talk about entrepreneurship and marketing and doing professional accounting exams. What part of that addresses any of the OP's post? You also randomly mentioned FYP - completely irrelevant to the OP's post too!
    You get the contract for 3 and a half years anyway and you dont get that many exemptions....and yes you need to be well rounded learning a business plan, making contacts(I got a job from a contact in entrepreneurship), learning theory as you go will help you greatly in a corporate finance role.
    What are you even taking about? That blob of text has about 3 concurrent thoughts meshed into one. They all follow the general principle of 'OMG I wanna get an accounting job'

Yes i said theory doesnt help why are you repeating it?
    Because it's so obvious. It's also irrelevant to the OP's post. My whole 2nd post was an opportunity for me to read your post, scratch my head and :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Has anyone any info on semester 2 of second year?? Economics and Finance Major. Any advice/tips?? Ive been warned about stats already but if anyone has anything else they can share....:D

im in the same boat as you i picked economics and finance because i found it the most interesting but after the economics test today im a bit worried did i make the right choice ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dontgothere

Im doing economics and finance regret it so much. Modules like entrepreneurship let you learn skills that will be really useful in work after college

I'm considering that as a minor option anyway! I just really liked the lectures for economics/finance. Seem to have a low staff turnover compared to the others (my opinion).
    Marketing's probably really interesting but i hate presentations and thats what alot of the assessment is (if what ive heard is true). Thanks for the advice :D
    Polar Ice wrote: »

Were you trying to refer to MA4104?

So if your question was: I'm going into 2nd year 2nd semester of business doing econ&finance as my major. I'll be taking the modules EP4003, PM4044, MA4104, EC4014 and EC4024. Does anyone have any advise?

PM4044 - A theory module, lots of raw learning required.

Yes that was what i was referring to, sorry =] PM4044 = Can you remember who teaches this?? Thanks for the breakdown on everything!! :D

im in the same boat as you i picked economics and finance because i found it the most interesting but after the economics test today im a bit worried did i make the right choice ha

Im thinking the same thing. :D It is really interesting, but at the same time i dont know if its the right choice for me. I was lost with most of the MCQ's... suppose we'll have to wait and see :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I went down the marketing and entrepreneurship route during my BBS degree.
    It has more practical elements to it than the other majors imo, and while you may only have 2 exams to do at the end of the semester, you will also do a bucket-load of work during the semester. So while others are heading out on a night out, you will be stuck in [or at least should be] trying to complete yet another group project.
    I highly recommend this route. The class is smaller, you get to know a really creative group of students, and it helps develop skills such as teamwork, time management, presentation skills etc...

DO pick the FYP.
    When I did the BBS course, the FYP was compulsory, and it was one of the best thing I did in UL. I loved working on a project of my own, even though at the time I thought it'd never end. But it helped me develop and add to my skillset.
    If you decide to go on to do a postgrad, and have never written an FYP, you will struggle to cope with writing a thesis. I have completed an MBS and a 25,000 word thesis, and doing the FYP helped me immensely with writing that.
    Also, you have to complete the FYP by the start of semester 2 in 4th year, so you have 1 less module/exam to do in 2nd semester.

PM4044 = Can you remember who teaches this??

Michelle O'Sullivan is who I had for it.
    I did the module in AY'08-'09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm 4th year economics and finance major (with german), pm me if you have any specific questions, co-op or whatever, in the middle of exams right now so give me a few days to write back :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement