Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting hubby mobile for Christmas

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hiya

My hubby just has an ordinary Nokia mobile - pay as you go with Vodafone..

I was thinking about getting him a mobile for Christmas.. He doesn't use Facebook and the only time he uses the internet is to check the Liverpool website..

One of my friends got a HTC phone which looks very nice..

So if I go with a HTC phone, should I change him to Bill pay.. Are they very sore on credit if you are on Pay as You Go..

Any advice would be great..
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

annetted wrote: »
    Hiya

My hubby just has an ordinary Nokia mobile - pay as you go with Vodafone..

I was thinking about getting him a mobile for Christmas.. He doesn't use Facebook and the only time he uses the internet is to check the Liverpool website..

One of my friends got a HTC phone which looks very nice..

So if I go with a HTC phone, should I change him to Bill pay.. Are they very sore on credit if you are on Pay as You Go..

Any advice would be great..
    Thank you

I've a HTC desire and its very easy to use. First off, how much credit would your husband use each month? When you say he uses the internet on the phone, is the data package he has added or is he connecting to your home broadband connection and free wifi available?

If you get him a smartphone on billpay, he will signed into a contract for 18mths. I think what you should do is work out a plan on line that you think will suit his needs and doesn't cost that much extra either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

There's a website http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp

It allows you to input information about your mobile usage and then tells you what package works out the best for you pricewise.

Haven't used it in a coule of years, but I think it was good.

For billpay customers, I'd recommend doing this with a couple of old bills to hand as peoples perceptions of what they use can be very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Don't switch to bill pay without checking plans out first because chances are you are better off on payg. Some decent payg plans now which include Internet.

What sort of usage is he doing at the moment for calls and texts?
    Are they mostly to VF network?

You can get free texts and Internet for €20 a month and have your credit still to use on calls

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

thanks for advice.. he would use 20 euros every month - as he is on free 087 to 087 calls thru Vodafone..

he wouldn't use his phone to check the internet now at all.. he just has a very basic phone..

we have 3g mobile broadband and he would use the internet there.. that costs us 20 euros a month bill pay..

this will be our first step away just from ordinary mobiles!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well for €30 he could continue with the free calls and texts and have his Internet usage.

This has all the details:> http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

If the current Internet broadband is only used by him or when he's around, then you could scrap this if out of contract and tether through the new phone. Not sure about HTC but I presume this can be done via WiFi like with an iPhone. Get HTC or Samsung over iPhone though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Davy wrote: »
    Well for €30 he could continue with the free calls and texts and have his Internet usage.

This has all the details:> http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/
    +1 for this package, I have been using this for the past year &I have approx. €120 built up as most of the numbers I ring are Vodafone, even when we are away on holidays I have enough credit built up to fone home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Sorry to hi jack,was looking at the samsung mini on tesco mobile,asked about payg with internet in store but they havnt a clue,i only do about 10 a month on calls with them which is doubled.I would only use it to browse really,does anyone know would this be viable with tesco payg or would it be expensive,I just have pc vodaphone broadband with no wifi at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

tipptom wrote: »
    Sorry to hi jack,was looking at the samsung mini on tesco mobile,asked about payg with internet in store but they havnt a clue,i only do about 10 a month on calls with them which is doubled.I would only use it to browse really,does anyone know would this be viable with tesco payg or would it be expensive,I just have pc vodaphone broadband with no wifi at home.

Yes, for 10eur with Tesco Mobile you could buy a 30 day 1GB data bundle for €6.99 which you could use for mobile data and tethering (no extra charges for tethering). Then with the €10 eur bonus credit and remaining €3 of original topup you could make calls and texts. Calls to other Tesco Mobile customers are free and you get 200 free domestic and 50 free international webtext.

Data bundles can be stacked so as long as you buy another before the first runs out and you can extend both the remaining allowance by 1GB and the expiry date by 30 days.

hope this helps

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Yes, for 10eur with Tesco Mobile you could buy a 30 day 1GB data bundle for €6.99 which you could use for mobile data and tethering (no extra charges for tethering). Then with the €10 eur bonus credit and remaining €3 of original topup you could make calls and texts. Calls to other Tesco Mobile customers are free and you get 200 free domestic and 50 free international webtext.

Data bundles can be stacked so as long as you buy another before the first runs out and you can extend both the remaining allowance by 1GB and the expiry date by 30 days.

hope this helps

regards
    Paul
    Thanks Paul,incidentally while i have you here,just back from england and was wondering when are you going to give poor auld Paddy an even break and give us the triple payg allowence like England.

• Advertisement
Advertisement