Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synchronizing DIT Email on Android

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to set up my DIT Email account on my android phone with no such luck.

It gives me the option to choose POP3 or IMAP. From what I could find, I presume IMAP is the one to choose?

When I do so it tells me to put in my username and password which I did. It then automatically chose the IMAP Server as 'mydit.ie' and the Port as '143'. Is this correct?

When I clicked next, a message appears which says 'Checking incoming server settings' and after a short while another message appears saying 'Setup could not finish: Unable to open connection to server.'

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a box that should be ticked that I am missing?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I have been trying to set up my DIT Email account on my android phone with no such luck.

It gives me the option to choose POP3 or IMAP. From what I could find, I presume IMAP is the one to choose?

When I do so it tells me to put in my username and password which I did. It then automatically chose the IMAP Server as 'mydit.ie' and the Port as '143'. Is this correct?

When I clicked next, a message appears which says 'Checking incoming server settings' and after a short while another message appears saying 'Setup could not finish: Unable to open connection to server.'

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a box that should be ticked that I am missing?

Any help would be great.
    I have tried and failed to do this so many times. There's some kind of reward in this for the person who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have tried and failed to do this so many times. There's some kind of reward in this for the person who knows!

I just found the solution! You're supposed to set it up through Gmail. Just simply add your DIT email address as another account and it will be recognised by Gmail. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrmrbungle

Incoming settings
    IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    Security type: SSL accept all certificates

Outgoing settings
    SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465
    Security type: SSL accept all certificates

make sure you put your email address as the username

cxxxxxxxx@mydit.ie and not just the cxxxxxxxx part

p.s. this info is available in "settings/forwarding and pop" in the dit webmail page

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Anyone know how to do this these days?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i124Q wrote: »
    If you have the gmail app, just put in you email address and no password. Then the app will redirect you to your DIT ICT Sign on page in your browser, just sign in there as normal using student number and password and then you'll be redirected back to the app :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

i124Q wrote: »

Well I changed my ictdomain Password a long time ago, so naturally any time I've tried using thunderbird it would tell me my password was incorrect after inputting all the correct settings.

It appears that when you are trying to log into your account from an app like thunderbird you have to use your date of birth as your password in the format DDMMYYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Yep, that's it. Just use your DOB as you would in the library rather than your actuall password. I thought I'd mentioned it on here, but maybe not.

Advertisement