Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor losing my number

Options
  • 07-12-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm just looking for some advice on what to do with this circumstance. Sorry it's so long!

I have been a Meteor pay-as-you-go customer for about 6 years and decided to move to bill-pay. I rang customer care last Friday to port my original phone number onto the new sim card. I was told it would only take 24 hours to kick into effect.

Somehow the customer care person ported a completely different number onto my sim card, enabling me to read and receive calls and texts which were meant for the owner of this different number. I can't imagine this person was happy when they found out.

And now apparently my number will take an extra 24 hours to retrieve (making it 144 hours i've been waiting)

I'm really quite upset about this because the customer care staff are claiming that there's no supervisors to speak to and nothing can be done except further waiting. I'd rather know now whether I should move to another network or get another number rather than waiting more.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar circumstance or can offer any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Not much you can do im afraid. The mobile networks actually own your number, despite what most people think, so a legal route will be difficult. The customer care agent messed it up. Looks like instead of a sim swap on your account, they swapped another customers number onto your sim.

If you want to leave the network, you have a cooling off period (if you have gone ahead with moving to bill pay) so make sure, if you are cancelling, that you inform the network about this within that cooling off period. You may go outside that period while waiting to get your number back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 checkmate?

Thanks for the reply wobbles!

It got even messier in the last few hours. That chap made sure his number couldn't be accessed from my phone/any phone for the past two days but meteor have put it back onto my sim card again. So all his texts and calls are coming back to me again!

It'll now take 48 hours to get my number back. God help me! Surely this is some breach of privacy on this man though? Even if they own the number, does that still mean they can legally port it onto another person's phone so another person can access texts etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If there's nothing you can do,maybe you could e mail them outlining your disappointment in the service blah blah, might get a month free or some form of credit toward your bill.

Advertisement