Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H maths as external candidate

• 07-12-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a notion that I want to do my LC higher maths as an external candidate, I have always regretted not doing it.

I did the LC in 1990 and dropped the higher paper about 6 weeks before the exams for two reasons: first I couldn't devote the time to it or my other subjects would've suffered second: because I never covered trigonometry at inter cert level because I was out sick the week we did it in 2nd year (yeah, i know, and the dog ate my homework too) and in those days you could get away without answering a Q on trig in the inter cert and I just never caught up! They didn't give A1 A2 etc. in those days but I did get an A in the lower paper and found it very easy at the time

I have since gone on to do an BA and an MA in subjects unrelated to maths so it would be challenging but it's not like I haven't used my brain in 20 years.

I'd love any advice? I have been looking through the forums here and the syllabus seems to have changed a lot in twenty years. What's this project maths business about? Is it a practical application of maths in everyday life? How long would I need to study for if I was doing an hour or two a night most nights? Should I aim for 2012 or 2013? I have a tutor lined up so that's not an issue. What books are good? Am I mad?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Hi, just came across this thread because I'm looking for the exact same thing.

Have graduated with a BA, doing an Msc currently (although it's really an MBS) and did ordinary level maths in 2008 when I did my LC - after dropping down a couple of weeks beforehand from higher level.

Would like to sit Higher Level maths exam, but not sure what's the best method - just go over my old HL textbooks ? Do distance learning? I'm not worried about working it myself if that was doable, but I'd like a kind of format of this-is-an-example-of-what-you're-doing-and-why-now-do-some-for-yourself.

Sorry mods if I'm not meant to resurrect old threads - it's just as I said, that this is very similar to my own situation. (although obviously less time has passed)

Advertisement