Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain when playing (bass)

Options
  • 07-12-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Started getting a sharp pain in the joint in my index finger when playing bass. It comes on after playing finger style (ie without a plectrum) for four or more songs in a row, which is a big problem given that I'd like to be able to play thirty songs in a row for gigs.. I've been using a plectrum which isn't a great option, as it affects sound quality.

Never had this problem before. Felt pain in the finger one day for no reason (probably bumped it or something and didn't notice - spaced out me! :rolleyes: ) Since then I've not been able to play for as long as I need to without a plectrum.

Spoke to the doctor and she said to stop playing for so long - not an option.

Help?!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You say you have not had this problem before. Were you able to play thirty songs in a row previously ?

The fact that you have not had this problem before leads me to think that your hunch is correct, and you injured your finger elsewhere without realising it. I strongly recommend that you take your doctor's advice and give the finger time to heal. Playing through pain is not going to improve matters, and could make things even worse. If playing with the pleck does not aggravate the finger, then this is your only option (besides ceasing to play altogether) until the finger heals. Better to have temporary inferior sound quality than a permanently damaged finger.

There is one other thing to consider, and that is that the injury may be bass related. Sometimes, if your technique is not up to scratch, it can take a while before problems/injury manifest themselves. Perhaps you may be "digging in" too much, in which case you could play with a lighter touch and compensate by hiring the volume on the amp. A review of your technique might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

You are going to have to stop playing with that finger for a while, end of story.

I hate using a plec too, my advice is tighten up your strap so the bass is raised up a bit toward your chest and play with your thumb. Sounds great and you can play anything with your thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Spoke to the doctor and she said to stop playing for so long - not an option.
    To be blunt you should listen to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

For the time being, take a break! You don't want to make things worse.

Can you play with a pick without your finger hurting? If so, switch to that. Or use your thumb as suggested.

You should definitely incorporate stretches into your practice routine.

I often stretch my wrists and fingers to maintain flexibility. If your technique has your wrist at too tight an angle you could be catching a nerve, which would result in non-local pain, possibly in the finger. Your wrist should be as close to straight as possible, on both arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

might be something with your technique, could you throw up a short video of your right hand playing like you normally would?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Malice wrote: »
    To be blunt you should listen to the doctor.

Agreed.

Sounds to me that you may show signs of carpel tunnel. Believe me, it'll take a long time to recover from if you don't ease off playing... and they'll be long term pain. A mate suffered from it a year back and he still hasn't fully recovered.

Advertisement