Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I too am surprised at all this. I had payment details set up at the start of the week. This is pretty standard for mmos

I unfortunately was lazy about doing it. :)

Difficult dungeons - ??
    Hard Raids - ??
    Innovative boss mechanics - ??
    PvP balance - ??
    New PvP ideas - ??
    Replayability - ??
    Excitement - ??
    Seriousness - ??
    Potential - ??

Um, the game has been out what, 3 days officially? Seriously wait a few months, read reviews by serious raiders and then decide if you want to put down your cash. You can't judge the end game content for a game in the first 3 months at least. This game could have fantastic end game content or a ****e endgame for PvEers. It's far too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

nesf wrote: »
    Um, the game has been out what, 3 days officially? Seriously wait a few months, read reviews by serious raiders and then decide if you want to put down your cash. You can't judge the end game content for a game in the first 3 months at least. This game could have fantastic end game content or a ****e endgame for PvEers. It's far too early to tell.

Agreed Look at WOW when it first came out it was **** and bugged to crap not finished need i say more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Chuey wrote: »
    Not everyone is an experienced MMO'er, and if they or someone else dont tell you how else would you know?
    I can't access the page now, but when you enter your pre-order or product code it has a big Step 1-4 graphic telling you exactly the steps that'll need to be done. Since everyone had to have entered the pre-order/product code at some point, everyone has seen this.

jeawan wrote: »
    Agreed Look at WOW when it first came out it was **** and bugged to crap not finished need i say more ?

WoW was horrible for ages. But then, it didn't have much competition either back then so people were far more likely to put up with it and keep subscribing. New MMOs have to get it right much faster now.

You can have a great game but if the end game is lacking people will leave in droves after 3-4 months after launch when the average person has levelled to cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Blowfish wrote: »
    I can't access the page now, but when you enter your pre-order or product code it has a big Step 1-4 graphic telling you exactly the steps that'll need to be done. Since everyone had to have entered the pre-order/product code at some point, everyone has seen this.

I never got those steps. I got a warning on the launcher to add my product key which linked to a webpage on SWTOR.com a few days ago, I entered the code and that was it. No steps 1-4, no follow on info about CC info or any prompt to go to any page that info was needed on.

Even leaving out customers not paying attention to launcher info, Bioware have no excuse for not expecting the SWTOR.com website from having alot of customers using it at the same time and it seems to crap itself pretty easily tbh.

@Nesf in fairness I don't think Blizzard expected the sheer amount of players they got at launch which was in the millions when every other MMO out at the time was hitting the 500-600k subs mark at most. They also learned from that cluster**** as every expansion launch to date since then has been smooth as silk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ya, and even if the endgame content sucks, Leveling toons in this game is well worth playing it for a month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Venom wrote: »
    Blowfish wrote: »

I never got those steps. I got a warning on the launcher to add my product key which linked to a webpage on SWTOR.com a few days ago, I entered the code and that was it. No steps 1-4, no follow on info about CC info or any prompt to go to any page that info was needed on.

Even leaving out customers not paying attention to launcher info, Bioware have no excuse for not expecting the SWTOR.com website from having alot of customers using it at the same time and it seems to crap itself pretty easily tbh.

@Nesf in fairness I don't think Blizzard expected the sheer amount of players they got at launch which was in the millions when every other MMO out at the time was hitting the 500-600k subs mark at most. They also learned from that cluster**** as every expansion launch to date since then has been smooth as silk.

I think he means how Molten Core was patched in and battlegrounds were too.

Blizzard sold the games and manufactured the boxes, they knew what they were doing. That and I'm talking about most of Vanilla WoW not just launch. There were problems, both design and bug, for quite a long time in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Quick question.

Have no cash in my paypal account and have not validated it yet, can i use another credit card and change it before i get billed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Varik wrote: »
    Quick question.

Have no cash in my paypal account and have not validated it yet, can i use another credit card and change it before i get billed.

You need at least 1 quid in your account for it to be verified AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Stev_o wrote: »
    You need at least 1 quid in your account for it to be verified AFAIK.

Can i switch the payment option from the card to paypal before the 30 days are up.

Thanks

The 4 steps/stages are on the page where you enter the code, in fact entering the code is step 3 afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I wonder what content they're going to add? More playable races/missions? I was surprised at how limited the selection of races is for each class.

I'd love something to do with the Yuuzhan Vong to be added, they'd have to be clever about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Anyone else feeling the game world is a bit empty ? I know there's long queues and so on, so there must be loads of players online but even the starting area's seem very empty. I know the game world is instanced, but even listing on /who and showing up hundreds of players in your area - there just seems to be so few around.

The mobs also, they just stand there, no movement, just stand there in tight packs - just seems very lazy not to develop the mobs further and let them at least roam around a bit and have a better AI than just stand there in the one spot.

The open world area's also seem way too big, with little in them. I wouldn't mind so much if they were packed full of interesting stuff but more often than not it's just packs of static mobs placed around and even the scenery is fairly bland and uninteresting.

Actually reminds me a lot of PlanetSide, and that game is ancient at this stage.

Apart from the flashback instances and warzone pvp, most of the time it just feels like I'm playing a single player game that has an online chat with others doing the same :(

The UI is also horrible looking, the chat window itself I hide/turn off half the time too as it's just in the way, huge fonts and ugly design.

Anyone know if there's a way to scale down the UI ? Or even just change the Field of View ? It feels like I'm playing @ 1024x768, can't even zoom out very far.

The game has a lot going for it and a lot of potential but the levelling experience thus far just seems very boring, probably to me anyway due to bland graphics in the world - everything seems very dull and unexciting.

I was thinking though it might be just the Skyrim effect, in that it spoilt me graphically but I dunno :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mr. K wrote: »
    I'd love something to do with the Yuuzhan Vong to be added, they'd have to be clever about it though.

If you mean clever as in LA/SOE clever, than pray they never become "that clever". It involves utterly violating the SW canon for a sales gimmick. The Vong don't appear until sometime after the end of the galactic civil war (post Ep.VI film-wise). TOR is set some 4,000 years BEFORE Ep.IV. So no, I really doubt you'll be seeing any Yuuzhan Vong anytime soon.

oxo_ wrote: »
    Anyone else feeling the game world is a bit empty ? I know there's long queues and so on, so there must be loads of players online but even the starting area's seem very empty. I know the game world is instanced, but even listing on /who and showing up hundreds of players in your area - there just seems to be so few around.

People are busy levelling not chatting I'd say. Some good General banter on Trask Ulgo often enough anyway.
    oxo_ wrote: »
    The mobs also, they just stand there, no movement, just stand there in tight packs - just seems very lazy not to develop the mobs further and let them at least roam around a bit and have a better AI than just stand there in the one spot.

Pretty standard for most MMOs, most classes are balanced off fighting X no. of mobs at level X. If we had a proper freeroaming AI for mobs then this would make the game far, far harder. Second problem is all that AI stuff is done on the server not your CPU so there's much less scope for complex AIs (higher CPU load = lower max player cap = more queues for people = lost customers).

Skyrim has spoilt you for immersion. The AI in it is far superior to the very basic AI you'll see in most mobs in almost every MMO I've played. But they're fundamentally different kinds of games and that's why.

TBH yes some of the worlds are very dead feeling the npc do just stand there but i understand to a point if they have them all interacting like the quest ones or even just talking it be very graphic heavy , I am happy with the world as it is I do miss the SWG world effect they where pretty good in fairness .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

logged in.....1 hour queue.

this is getting seriously ****ing annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is everyone else's server full of people putting stuff on GTN at default price?

• Advertisement

No my server has very little on GTN i put stuff up and it doesn't sell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is anyone using modded (orange) gear? I've gotten a few items, which have awful base stats, but i believe they are moddable? Are they as good/better than what you'll generally get from questing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, items with slots have low (or no) base stats but once you put a few good mods on them they can be better than other gear you already have.
    Have a look at the commendations mods vendors for some quick items to slot in there

Kiith wrote: »
    Is anyone using modded (orange) gear? I've gotten a few items, which have awful base stats, but i believe they are moddable? Are they as good/better than what you'll generally get from questing?

Yes they are designed so that you can basically wear it till 50 if you want you just have eto keep changing the Mods in them

Definitely. People have no idea yet of what stuff is worth. Use it to your advantage.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I use as much as possible. Orange gear doesn't have any stats at all on it's own, it's all based on the mods you put in it. Shift and right click it to add the mods.

The best way I find of doing it is just to pick up as many commendations as possible on each planet and spend them at the mods vendor. Doing that and using the level 20/40 pvp gear means I've never actually spent any money on gear at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

People are busy levelling not chatting I'd say. Some good General banter on Trask Ulgo often enough anyway.

Yeah it's not the chat, it's the lack of other actual players in your area. The chat channels are fine, which makes it feel even more weird, loads of people chatting but nobody to be seen.
    Pretty standard for most MMOs, most classes are balanced off fighting X no. of mobs at level X. If we had a proper freeroaming AI for mobs then this would make the game far, far harder. Second problem is all that AI stuff is done on the server not your CPU so there's much less scope for complex AIs (higher CPU load = lower max player cap = more queues for people = lost customers).

Maybe AI was the wrong term to use. I was thinking more the "paths" mobs would take. You usually specify this via the backend database held on the server rather than just place the mobs in one area and they just stand there doing nothing. Again though, probably spoiled by other MMO's like Wow which did this very well and made you think you were actually part of a living world.

The world just doesn't feel "alive" in places like it should do.

Anyway, still like the game a lot, hope it doesn't bomb out after a couple months as it's a game I'd like to enjoy for a couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

where are all the honour guard guys leveling up? cause i havent seen one person flagged for pvp in Nar Shaddaa or in Tatooine. Guarding their Honour in stealth i reckon >.< seriously though havent seen one person yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Really hooked on this game. Rolled a jedi consular (sage) as I was mainly healing in WoW and really enjoy the questing. I've spent ages playing and am only lvl 12 but am doing everything at a slow pace and listening to all conversations properly and generally taking in as much as I can.

Whatever about the end game content, this game is seriously fun to level in. Feels almost like a direct cross between Mass Effect and WoW

edit -> To all those who have to queue to log in; are you on PvP, PvE or RP servers? I'm on a PvE (dune bantha) and have never had a queue regardless of time of day.

Omphin wrote: »
    where are all the honour guard guys leveling up? cause i havent seen one person flagged for pvp in Nar Shaddaa or in Tatooine. Guarding their Honour in stealth i reckon >.< seriously though havent seen one person yet
    Once we have a good few 50's we should organise a grudge match. 10v10 in the pvp ffa area on Tatooine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Looking for a higher res version of a video on the Swtor website. Check out the thumbnails!

http://goo.gl/WbXzD

Advertisement