Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dcully wrote: »
    Probably would be enough for a few months who knows?but what im hearing is they are poor,here again i cant say for sure as im only lvl 41 but pretty much every lvl 50 ive spoke to ingame are saying there is nothing to do and the 2 raids suck?
    If the flashpoints are anything to go by they are poor.
    pvp means nothing to me, not a fan at all.

Hmm, one thing I wonder is whether people are expecting Cata level complexity in raids in a game that obviously is going to attract a lot of new people to the genre. I'm really not expecting much to challenge a decent raid group at normal, or even heroic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm not there yet as I've a few levels to go so I can't speak first hand regarding endgame.

This is many people's first MMO so leveling flashpoints should be easy, and most are. But even newbies know how to play by level 50 so engame stuff should be hard. I'm hoping when I get there it will be a good challenge and if it's not, the next one should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=162569

Seems Bioware's is guilty of a bit of the ole false advertising. No high res texture setting in a 2011 MMO is a complete joke but using a special developer only graphics setting for promo pics and videos is out and out lying :(

Venom wrote: »
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=162569

Seems Bioware's is guilty of a bit of the ole false advertising. No high res texture setting in a 2011 MMO is a complete joke but using a special developer only graphics setting for promo pics and videos is out and out lying :(

Not quite, the high res textures were there during Beta apparently when the videos etc were made. There must be some problem with the engine that they cut them. I know the current one, even maxed out, is trivial for a high end PC to run at the moment (actually it's a problem because the game for some idiotic reason doesn't cap the framerate at all, so you can get insane GPU temps from the game hitting 130+ fps).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

God that's awful PR there. They also came out saying the game is fully optimised (BS). Pretty bad form them all round.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Not quite, the high res textures were there during Beta apparently when the videos etc were made. There must be some problem with the engine that they cut them. I know the current one, even maxed out, is trivial for a high end PC to run at the moment (actually it's a problem because the game for some idiotic reason doesn't cap the framerate at all, so you can get insane GPU temps from the game hitting 130+ fps).

But that's due to Bioware using the heroengine which many people in the industry claim is a total piece of crap. Either way the graphics shown on the official site which claim to be ingame graphics are not those used in the retail product.

Bioware only now coming out with the truth about the "bug" that was effecting the missing high res textures almost a month after the game has been launched is a pretty dodgy business practice imho.

But that's due to Bioware using the heroengine which many people in the industry claim is a total piece of crap. Either way the graphics shown on the official site which claim to be ingame graphics are not those used in the retail product.

Bioware only now coming out with the truth about the "bug" that was effecting the missing high res textures almost a month after the game has been launched is a pretty dodgy business practice imho.

Yeah, I suppose I'm just extremely cynical about games companies doing this kind of thing and don't find it particularly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The mroe I hear the guys talking on mumble and attempt to play this game, the more it appears to be just a single player RPG.

In the zones I'm in there is little more then 40 people in at a time.

Finding groups seems to be a struggle and I'm now at the point I'm putoff y the cut scenes.

Would have rather that budget went into developing content etc rather then "epic story" for me having to kill 10 imperials, then 20, then 40.

I feel it just breaks me getting into the flow. I'm typically a fast leveller, but Swtor just seems to keep wanting to slow me down and force me to appreciate the "work" they put in, which is simply not how I want to play an mmo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TheDoc wrote: »
    Would have rather that budget went into developing content etc rather then "epic story" for me having to kill 10 imperials, then 20, then 40.

I feel it just breaks me getting into the flow. I'm typically a fast leveller, but Swtor just seems to keep wanting to slow me down and force me to appreciate the "work" they put in, which is simply not how I want to play an mmo

This is what i'm loving about it. The 'kill 10, 20, 40' quests are just bonus quests which can be skipped if you want, though the main quests are pretty similar. Class quests are interesting though, and i'm really enjoying it. I'd much rather take it slowly with some good cutscenes, than try and fly my way to lvl50.

But to each his own and all that.

I'm usually an inveterate powerleveller. For once this game has enough shiny stuff to keep me interested in levelling slower. I view this as a fairly good thing to be honest. Normally I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the rest of the guild (who dig story and such) to catch up. For once I'm level or even slightly behind them for the most part instead of me and one or two others being 10-15 levels ahead of the pack.

I can see how if you wanted to powerlevel that it'd drive you a bit mad though.

• Advertisement

Bah bloody downtimes, I had a half hour free this morning to do some space dailies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

nesf wrote: »
    I'm usually an inveterate powerleveller. For once this game has enough shiny stuff to keep me interested in levelling slower. I view this as a fairly good thing to be honest. Normally I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the rest of the guild (who dig story and such) to catch up. For once I'm level or even slightly behind them for the most part instead of me and one or two others being 10-15 levels ahead of the pack.

I can see how if you wanted to powerlevel that it'd drive you a bit mad though.

I prefer powering a main then enjoying content after on an alt.

Like already I've missed our guilds first raid...

That would have been unthinkable in wow for example

I prefer powering a main then enjoying content after on an alt.

Like already I've missed our guilds first raid...

That would have been unthinkable in wow for example

*nods*

I'm taking the opposite approach in this game, powerlevelling on the alts except for the class quests. Then I'm in a guild where most people level slowly so not much of an inconvenience to me to level slowly this time around.

Kiith wrote: »
    This is what i'm loving about it. The 'kill 10, 20, 40' quests are just bonus quests which can be skipped if you want, though the main quests are pretty similar. Class quests are interesting though, and i'm really enjoying it. I'd much rather take it slowly with some good cutscenes, than try and fly my way to lvl50.

But to each his own and all that.

You can indeed skip the non class quests which make up 80% of a planets missions and xp, but doing so will make doing the next planets class quests very hard to impossible. On my BH alt I finished the Nar shadda portion of my class quest at level 25 so off to Tatooine I go. I only did the class quests here and 1 or 2 of the talk to various npcs around the spaceport missions.

After finishing up the Tatooine portion of the class quest I was just level 26 (including some space mission xp) and I was then sent to Alderanne where I was up against level 29 gold mobs as part of the class missions which were just to much for my character to progress.

Its a pity that once out of the starter planets you must go through the exact same missions for every alt you run as the class quests only consist of 4-5 missions per planet and the rest made of of filler content.

You can indeed skip the non class quests which make up 80% of a planets missions and xp, but doing so will make doing the next planets class quests very hard to impossible. On my BH alt I finished the Nar shadda portion of my class quest at level 25 so off to Tatooine I go. I only did the class quests here and 1 or 2 of the talk to various npcs around the spaceport missions.

After finishing up the Tatooine portion of the class quest I was just level 26 (including some space mission xp) and I was then sent to Alderanne where I was up against level 29 gold mobs as part of the class missions which were just to much for my character to progress.

Eh, of course you can't skip almost everything, gain just one level and head onto the next planet. It's the same in almost every MMO I've played.

You can indeed skip the non class quests which make up 80% of a planets missions and xp, but doing so will make doing the next planets class quests very hard to impossible.

Its a pity that once out of the starter planets you must go through the exact same missions for every alt you run as the class quests only consist of 4-5 missions per planet and the rest made of of filler content.

I didn't mean the side quests, i just meant the bonus quests you do while doing the sidequests. The kill 10, 20, 40 etc... while doing a quest. These can be skipped without any problems. You will need to do some sidequests or PvP/Flashpoints if you're just doing your class quests.

I agree that it is a shame that all classes take the same route through the game though. Would be nice if Jedi's took a different path than Smuggler/Troopers. Would be nice for a little variation.

Just found this gem on the official forums :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/mirrormirror.jpg/

I hope to **** ME3 is not as sloppy a mess SWTOR is turning out to be lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ger_Stone

Variation? Every class has it's own class quest line which is more than most MMO's have.

Ger_Stone wrote: »
    Variation? Every class has it's own class quest line which is more than most MMO's have.

Hate to break it to you, but the class quests make up around 20% if even that of the missions a character has to do to hit max level. They also pretty much follow the same formula of every other quest in the game.

It's 20% more than most other games

• Advertisement

It's 20% more than most other games

Its also a feature that was not only advertised 100% more than in other games but seems to be the sole focus of SWTOR's development with very little to show for it in the finished product.

The say that it's tthe sole focus of Development is going way too far if you ask me. The game is only out a month and its seems to be going smoother than most other game launches. Treu, it has it's flaws and bugs but not any more than any other games. Rift still has bugs in Raids since release for example.

The say that it's tthe sole focus of Development is going way too far if you ask me. The game is only out a month and its seems to be going smoother than most other game launches. Treu, it has it's flaws and bugs but not any more than any other games. Rift still has bugs in Raids since release for example.

The voice over for every npc/cutscenes are the only thing SWTOR brings to the table over other MMOs. Far to many of the more basic features like LFG tools, Auction house, appearance tabs, non horrid travel routes, public quests and crafting are either very basic in how they were implimented or entirely missing from the game. The sheer amount of bad design that plagues STWOR is shocking imho.

Yeah, it needs a few tools like some of what you mentioned, Dungeon finder for sure but I reckon they will come at some point in the near future, I actually love the crafting, beats running around and having to do everything yourself

I quite like how crafting and gathering was implemented personally. It removes the worst of the grind and time wasting that I normally associate with levelling a craft while trying to level a character.

I can agree with some the those compaints, but i'd have thought the crafting system is one of the best going at the moment. Maybe not in regards to the quality of crafted items compared to looted items, but the system itself is great.

It's especially nice when you have a level 50 and you roll and alt. With 5 companions on the go, its easy help your alt level his crafting and keep him in Critted Blue/Purple gear

Got my 1st spam email about account verification. Happy days :pac:

I still haven't gotten one or a mail from gold sellers. I was watching Gamebreaker Tv and they play on US servers and they said they might get one mail per day asking if the want to buy credits

• Advertisement

Just to clarify my issue with crafting is the items made and lack of use for them rather than the crafting system itself but again this is down to piss poor design and rushing the game to market.

Advertisement