Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Spunge wrote: »
    Whats the population for Rift like ?

Its usually a bad sign when an MMO is dirt cheap. I hate playing empty MMOs :(

Its dirt cheap to buy the game, subscribing is the same as all mmos.
    Trust me its far from empty, im on Icewatch pve and its very well polulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nody wrote: »
    I think I found the article in question; it was about active players rather then subscriptions (they have released that they have a million subscribers in December last year as a side note, question is when/if there is another update).
    Looking at active players would be fairly misleading though. SWTOR was released just before christmas, so naturally the activity is going to be higher for the first couple of weeks as so many people will be off work/school. That's not to say there's no possibility that there's been a drop off, but as Nesf said, 2/3 months in gives a much clearer indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Blowfish wrote: »
    Looking at active players would be fairly misleading though. SWTOR was released just before christmas, so naturally the activity is going to be higher for the first couple of weeks as so many people will be off work/school. That's not to say there's no possibility that there's been a drop off, but as Nesf said, 2/3 months in gives a much clearer indication.

Absoltively - I've gone down from playing daily to playing once or twice a week, and I have no plans to go anywhere, I'm just back in work and have less free time.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Raphael wrote: »
    Absoltively - I've gone down from playing daily to playing once or twice a week, and I have no plans to go anywhere, I'm just back in work and have less free time.

Time will tell.

Agree. It came out on holiday time, so everyone were just playing it, because of no school or work. Now it's different.

I cut down myself too, but I would call myself a hard ore mmorpg player anymore. In fact when I play swtor the last thing I have on my mind is my level. In fact I am only 28 and I am enjoying this game alot. I don't feel need to rush to max level and farm dungeons like I had in wow. I am really enjoying the story and world. For me swtor - a jaurmey to max level, not a rush.

As mentioned before its very hard to say after first month. If it does drop subs like anvil ( warhammer mmorpg ) then we will know is fecked, but I'd it's just few subs drop ( which is very normal ), then it will be grand. It will be cleared picture around march or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If it does drop subs like anvil ( warhammer mmorpg ) then we will know is fecked

I wanted to like that game so much. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm still enjoying The Old Republic. Completed Act 1 on my Smuggler last night, and while it wasn't exactly groundbreaking, it was really enjoyable. Hopefully the story can keep me interested, as it's about the only thing that really is at the moment. The game itself is solid enough, but i doubt very much i'd keep playing if there wasn't any story content. I'll resub for now though, as it's only €12 (iirc) and that's worth it for what i'm getting now.

Tempted to go and try Rift again myself. Maybe actually try and see if i could actually enjoy raiding. Never really bothered before.
    nesf wrote: »

Same here. After all the talk of how fantastic DAoC was, i'd really hoped for a fantastic PvP experience. It had potential, but it just wasn't enough to keep me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I loved it, and it was epic. World pvp was savage! Then my Internet connection went down for 1 month, when I came back everyone were gone!!! I almost cried :(.

One of the best pvp mmorpg I ever played :(. Fighting for keeps was epic :(

Tempted to go and try Rift again myself. Maybe actually try and see if i could actually enjoy raiding. Never really bothered before.

Well for sure Rift has plenty of endgame content.
    A lot of hardcore wow guilds of a few years ago are now choosing rift as the premier raiding mmo.
    Personally i havent raided in 10 months ie last time i was subbed but the guild im in are constantly raiding and loving it.
    Once i decide on a main ill be raiding with them for sure.
    Even if you dont raid theres loads to do @ lvl 50,instant adventure is a lot of fun,then you have your 5 man dungeons and different tiers of them,the new Embers Isle zone,then theres the planar attunement and chronicles.
    Throw €12 at it for a months playtime,if you dont enjoy it now you never will imo,just make sure you are on a decent population server, remember theres free transfers now too.

Dcully wrote: »
    A lot of hardcore wow guilds of a few years ago are now choosing rift as the premier raiding mmo.
    Personally i havent raided in 10 months ie last time i was subbed but the guild im in are constantly raiding and loving it.
    Even if you dont raid theres loads to do @ lvl 50,instant adventure is a lot of fun,then you have your 5 man dungeons and different tiers of them,the new Embers Isle zone,then theres the planar attunement and chronicles.
    Throw €12 at it for a months playtime,if you dont enjoy it now you never will imo,just make sure you are on a decent population server, remember theres free transfers now too.

Shush now, I don't need three subs going out... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

how has the star wars general discussion thread descended into a lets all return to rift thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

CyberJuice wrote: »
    how has the star wars general discussion thread descended into a lets all return to rift thread :)

Id call that a bad sign. Its come to the stage where i like watching MMOs fail more than i like playing them.

CyberJuice wrote: »

More to do with the fail that is swtor than anything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

anyone having issues logging in over the last few days ?
    authenication server down ? no servers on server list if you can manage to log in and once in lag spikes of 80000 ms response times ?

or is it just me and should i kick me stupid router around the place ?

missed last day of farming illum before change ( must actually look see what the changes are maybe me marauder getting some love)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think it's an issue on your end unfortunately, didn't have any issues myself last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

yeah seemingly so . **** it anyway -

post on official forums saying turn off xp compatabilty mode (turned it on to try raise fps )

cool thnx m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No patch today it seems.

Free month should be running out soon. I wonder how much subs drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ill be interested in seeing some of the feedback for the newcomers of MMO's who may not have realised they get charged on a month by month basis.

Id say they ll be a big enough slump with the hardcore community and the like but id imagine it ll retain a lot of it's newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ill be interested in seeing some of the feedback for the newcomers of MMO's who may not have realised they get charged on a month by month basis.

Id say they ll be a big enough slump with the hardcore community and the like but id imagine it ll retain a lot of it's newcomers.

None of our guild are canceling subs we are willing to give it time and have no interest in going back to wow , was also talking to a large hardcore raid guild that rolled on our server they used to Raid 5 days a week in wow and none of them are canceling either .
    I think jumping a big flashpoint into a game is a knee jerk reaction anyway better not release it and fix some **** wrong with things first

Most of my guild are subbing or have set up subs for the next 3-6 months. They're giving the game time and are well burned out from WoW (to the point of some cancelling their subs after being subbed since launch). Mists of Kung Fu Pandas might bring some back to WoW but a lot are really sceptical about it and are actively looking for a new MMO. They're mostly a PvE crowd so I'm not sure if GW2 is going to do much for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think the big test will be once a new large online PvE game comes (Diablo 3 for example) to see if people return to SWTOR after completing it or not.

• Advertisement

Most of my guild are subbing or have set up subs for the next 3-6 months. They're giving the game time and are well burned out from WoW (to the point of some cancelling their subs after being subbed since launch). Mists of Kung Fu Pandas might bring some back to WoW but a lot are really sceptical about it and are actively looking for a new MMO. They're mostly a PvE crowd so I'm not sure if GW2 is going to do much for them.

My guild are the same though some have signed for the Diablo 3 deal. A lot were sceptic of cata and moaning during the first months.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Dcully wrote: »

There's free transfers? I didn't know this. Could you tell me how i can transfer please?

My guild are the same though some have signed for the Diablo 3 deal. A lot were sceptic of cata and moaning during the first months.

Yeah quite a few got the annual pass for that reason, myself included. Cata was the death of our raiding community, we lost a lot of people due to disinterest after Wrath and found it impossible to recruit on our server, everyone just wanted to do 10 man raiding.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    There's free transfers? I didn't know this. Could you tell me how i can transfer please?

Log in,and at the bottom of the screen theres a transfer oprion, beside the shard selection.
    Click transfer and then your desired destination and its done instantly.
    Can be done every 7 days per character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I'm finally gonna buy this some time this week,been watching youtube vids all week and I want it more and more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I think I'm finally gonna buy this some time this week,been watching youtube vids all week and I want it more and more :)

Swtor or rift? lol this thread has gone wild :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Swtor or rift? lol this thread has gone wild :D

Swtor of course :-)

Swtor of course :-)

Waste of money imo.
    Everything about it is simply not as good as most other mmos,combat,graphics,dungeons [flashpoints],pvp,the world feels empty because of numbers dropping off at an alarming rate and the way the world is instance based.
    The flashpoints and raids are pretty poor,buggy and just not a challenge, this is one seriously dumbed down mmo [so called mmo]
    Unless ofcourse you want a story? but you get better stories from other games that dont require a subscription..
    Serious lack of content past lvl 25.
    Just my opinion ofcourse but after getting one character to lvl 50 another to 30 and 2 more to their early 20s ive played enough to form an opinion that its not worth buying let alone subscribing to after your free 30 days.
    You might be happy to buy and then subscribe but the net is full of forums with massive amounts of players not subscribing and slating the game.
    I wouldnt be a bit surprised if this saw the biggest drop in players after the standard free 30 days of any mmo launch of recent years.

After 2 weeks myself and 2-3 other guys were the only ones to log in at all in our guild.
    As far as i can tell they all got fed up of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I completely agree with you on this i feel like i wasted my money getting the game... ( thank god i had a voucher for 25 euro off in smyths so it only worked out at 25 euro ) too many bugs. People are dropping like flies and the world just did not draw me in.

What i had got from wow even from the get go was that the world had drawn me in and i felt connected and it felt live a living world not as much now but back in the day i got a sense of awe from wow that i have not been able to replace.

If you are a die hard star wars fan i say you will love it but if your not go check out something else. Maybe Rift or look up info on Guildwars 2 if you haven't Already that looks so amazing.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is out on demo for PC check that out i played it yesterday and LOVED it its like skyrim but better! :D

I would highly recommend Kingdoms of Amalur!

• Advertisement

New patch. Performance is now awful even when I turn off AA. This game is not optimised. The Hero engine must be garbage considering I've been in wow zones with more going on and lots of players with everything on full and the game playing like silk.

Guess I'll be playing pandas in a few months.

Advertisement