Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to playing some more over the weekend. Havent really had much time to play this week, but i've nothing to do for the next few days so i'm gonna get stuck back into my Smuggler, and maybe roll a Bounty Hunter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Dcully wrote: »
    the world feels empty because of numbers dropping off at an alarming rate and the way the world is instance based.

So many dead planets! Is it possible to change server at all?

Finding it impossible to get a group together for higher level flashpoints / heroics.

I'm on Taris now, and despite asking 3 days in a row on Slius Shipyard server, I have failed to get a group together from guild or server.

It's becoming just a single player game, where you see some other randomers running around doing their own thing... My enjoyment is steadily decreasing!

They are surely going to have to severely reduce the instancing if the number are dropping as much as some people here seem to think. I've not been playing for a few days, but what's the point on having these large open worlds if you never see anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

There will be a drop on numbers after first free month ends. It's inevitable. It's been the same in every MMO I've played including WoW. I would also imagine , that this game with the emphasis on story lines is encouraging people to male lots of alts and level them. I have noticed the starting zones to have a healthy population so it may be due to the alt creation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dcully wrote: »
    Waste of money imo.
    Everything about it is simply not as good as most other mmos,combat,graphics,dungeons [flashpoints],pvp,the world feels empty because of numbers dropping off at an alarming rate and the way the world is instance based.
    The flashpoints and raids are pretty poor,buggy and just not a challenge, this is one seriously dumbed down mmo [so called mmo]
    Unless ofcourse you want a story? but you get better stories from other games that dont require a subscription..
    Serious lack of content past lvl 25.
    Just my opinion ofcourse but after getting one character to lvl 50 another to 30 and 2 more to their early 20s ive played enough to form an opinion that its not worth buying let alone subscribing to after your free 30 days.
    You might be happy to buy and then subscribe but the net is full of forums with massive amounts of players not subscribing and slating the game.
    I wouldnt be a bit surprised if this saw the biggest drop in players after the standard free 30 days of any mmo launch of recent years.

After 2 weeks myself and 2-3 other guys were the only ones to log in at all in our guild.
    As far as i can tell they all got fed up of it.
    MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    I completely agree with you on this i feel like i wasted my money getting the game... ( thank god i had a voucher for 25 euro off in smyths so it only worked out at 25 euro ) too many bugs. People are dropping like flies and the world just did not draw me in.

What i had got from wow even from the get go was that the world had drawn me in and i felt connected and it felt live a living world not as much now but back in the day i got a sense of awe from wow that i have not been able to replace.

If you are a die hard star wars fan i say you will love it but if your not go check out something else. Maybe Rift or look up info on Guildwars 2 if you haven't Already that looks so amazing.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is out on demo for PC check that out i played it yesterday and LOVED it its like skyrim but better! :D

I would highly recommend Kingdoms of Amalur!

Well thats real disapointing to hear :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Kiith wrote: »
    They are surely going to have to severely reduce the instancing if the number are dropping as much as some people here seem to think. I've not been playing for a few days, but what's the point on having these large open worlds if you never see anyone?
    I'm pretty sure they have, actually. Didn;t notice the numbers, but on 2 consecutive Wednesday evenings, with the patch dropoing between them, there was 2 Dromund Kaas instances 1 week and only 1 the next - that 1 instance was 150, dunno how many were across the 2.

This was at about 8pm. Might have just been lower player numbers, but fingers crossed they tweaked the instance formula.

Also, read somewhere that they're gonna tweak it down for Ilum to hlep performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Raphael wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they have, actually. Didn;t notice the numbers, but on 2 consecutive Wednesday evenings, with the patch dropoing between them, there was 2 Dromund Kaas instances 1 week and only 1 the next - that 1 instance was 150, dunno how many were across the 2.

This was at about 8pm. Might have just been lower player numbers, but fingers crossed they tweaked the instance formula.

Also, read somewhere that they're gonna tweak it down for Ilum to hlep performance.

Seeing as how they lowered the amount of players per instance on Ilum wont that just make the servers seem more empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not really. The emptyness problem is more of a levelling problem, where there's small amounts of people spread around a large area. The problem on Ilum is, as Dustaz mentioned on the last page, 200 Imps standing around outside a Rep base waiting for anyone to come out, and everyones FPS nose diving. Ilum seems to be having too many people in a small area, so more instancing needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

massive issue affecting vodafone internet users both here and abroad - specifically germany - stopping us logging in during peak hours - 6 to 10ish nightly - right pain in the ass but seemingly it is a vodafone issue (or they are at least aware of it)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

massive issue affecting vodafone internet users both here and abroad - specifically germany - stopping us logging in during peak hours - 6 to 10ish nightly - right pain in the ass but seemingly it is a vodafone issue (or they are at least aware of it)

Is that with the usb or landline broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I thought i was going to throw the computer through the window lastnight i got so mad at it.

Normally goes like this for me, the launcher loads up an takes its sweet as time in doing so, if i touch it in a way it doesnt like it crashs on me. If i have passed its comfort zone and it wants to be nice it will allow me to enter my password and connect to the game.

When i do finally get in to the game my ping is like 5 to 10000, i get stuck in one place and cannot move. The game will then turf me out because of error 9000 and i will have to repeat.

Its so stupid that they cannot track this down and the information around it is non existant.

Finally finishin my rant, what is the deal with the repair tool you actually have to log-on and then do the repair. This is so stupid considering that half the problem is you cant log-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

landline for me m8 ,

its strange - get in before 6 normal - under 100ms latency , second 6 oclock hits latency spikes - highest i have had so far is 300 K , then disconnect and cant login again.

tis a strange one alright - biggest issue seems to be lack of information coming from Bioware with regards to the issue (customer service seems to be taking a beating on forums though)

ah well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

tis a strange one alright - biggest issue seems to be lack of information coming from Bioware with regards to the issue (customer service seems to be taking a beating on forums though)
    Vodafone deliberately throttle/shape peer to peer traffic. It wouldn't suprise me if what's happening is that the SWTOR traffic is incorrectly being identified as peer to peer by Vodafone, so they throttle it.

There's not really anything Bioware can do if this is the case as it would be entirely Vodafone's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

landline for me m8 ,

its strange - get in before 6 normal - under 100ms latency , second 6 oclock hits latency spikes - highest i have had so far is 300 K , then disconnect and cant login again.

ah well :D

Have landline myself,well if that is the case its one more reason not to buy it I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Stev_o wrote: »

Lol that was a pretty funny vid

That was brilliant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Very good. had me laughing out loud quite a few times. :D

"What is love...." :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well thats real disapointing to hear :(

Just one point. It's an MMO, there's going be a very strong divide of opinion between those enjoying the game and those hating it.

I've enjoyed what I've played for what it's worth.

I would second that. Don't let other people sway you into getting the game or not. Make your mind up for yourself because only you know if the game is for you or not. If you like the look of the game, try it.

• Advertisement

Wait a month or two till the free trial is available otherwise your forking over 50 quid and then some for something you don't know how you'll react to.

Wait a month or two till the free trial is available otherwise your forking over 50 quid and then some for something you don't know how you'll react to.

If a free trial is available in a month then the game will probably be dying or at least doing quite badly. Took absolutely ages for the WoW free trial to come out iirc.

It's 2012 not 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

nesf wrote: »
    Just one point. It's an MMO, there's going be a very strong divide of opinion between those enjoying the game and those hating it.

I've enjoyed what I've played for what it's worth.
    Seconded, I'm still having a lot of fun and I haven't even started raiding yet.

As for the numbers supposedly dropping off, I just logged in and there are still 250+ people on the fleet alone, same as ever.

Absolutely zero chance of swtor being free to play in the first year. Zero.

I'd suggest try it. I am enjoying the game a lot and think it's worth it. If you really don't like it in the end, then 50 euros isn't exactly the end of the world. I honestly don't think a free trial will be coming until at least summer. So if you're gona wait be warned.

Kirby wrote: »
    Absolutely zero chance of swtor being free to play in the first year. Zero.

Nobody is suggesting that it will be?

They only throw trials out when the box stops selling. We wont be seeing that for ages yet.

It's 2012 not 2004.

It's a AAA MMO with a stupidly strong IP from a developer whose reputation is insanely good. It'll keep selling, regardless of problems, for a good while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

nesf wrote: »
    It's a AAA MMO with a stupidly strong IP from a developer whose reputation is insanely good. It'll keep selling, regardless of problems, for a good while yet.

Whatever else SWTOR is, it sure as hell ain't AAA quality.

Advertisement