Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Venom wrote: »
    Whatever else SWTOR is, it sure as hell ain't AAA quality.

You may not like the game but seriously, the reason there's so much bitching is because it's a AAA title and people's expectations were high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Whatever else SWTOR is, it sure as hell ain't AAA quality.

MW3 is a triple A title. I think its garbage but that doesn't stop it from being a big game with a big budget.

It may have already been posted but here it is anyway. This may help those we are experiencing button delay :

Hi everyone; I wanted to give you all an update on the ability delay situation.

Thanks to constructive feedback from the community, including some great videos, we were able to identify an issue that could cause abilities on global cooldown to appear available to the player, resulting in unresponsive/ignored player input. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Additionally, we have located an issue that would cause player input for certain instant abilities to fail in frantic combat situations, resulting in unpredictable and frustrating gameplay issues for the affected player. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Finally, our engineers have identified an issue introducing a significant delay between player input and ability execution in certain game situations, most notably (but not limited to) fast paced PvP. The magnitude of the delay varies with a number of factors, including processor hardware, but can, especially on dual core CPUs, result in a very perceivable reduction in game responsiveness. We are in the later stages of testing a fix for the problem and hope to be able to roll it out to the servers very soon.

We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input, but the above mentioned developments should provide a very measurable improvement in combat responsiveness.

Thanks again for your patience and support and we hope to see you on the public test server to help us validate these improvements before pushing them to the live servers.

Georg Zoeller
    Principal Lead Combat Designer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nesf wrote: »
    Just one point. It's an MMO, there's going be a very strong divide of opinion between those enjoying the game and those hating it.

I've enjoyed what I've played for what it's worth.

Ya I'm still interested in getting it but that problem with vodafone broadband that excal was talking about has put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You may not like the game but seriously, the reason there's so much bitching is because it's a AAA title and people's expectations were high.

Maybe the reason there's so much bitching about the game is down to its poor quality. A Big IP and huge budget does not equal a quality product

• Advertisement

Maybe the reason there's so much bitching about the game is down to its poor quality. A Big IP and huge budget does not equal a quality product

And AAA is about developer, budget and IP not about quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

your having a laugh mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just because a game is billed as being an AAA product doesn't mean it is one.

DCU Online, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online all claimed to be an AAA game's yet were piles of crap on release.

Warhammer online had a much bigger budget than any of those you listed. As does swtor. As nesf said, AAA titles relates to their budget and scale of release.

Kirby wrote: »
    Warhammer online had a much bigger budget than any of those you listed. As does swtor. As nesf said, AAA titles relates to their budget and scale of release.

seriously saying a AAA game is not about quality is absurd.

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »

GoW3, MW3, Final Fantasy 13. All AAA titles with big backing and all were poor. People still refer to that type of game as AAA. What you gonna do eh? Quality doesn't come into it sadly.

GoW3, MW3, Final Fantasy 13. All AAA titles with big backing and all were poor. People still refer to that type of game as AAA. What you gonna do eh? Quality doesn't come into it sadly.

Sorry your not really making a point here you saying these are all tripple A title's which they are and they are all good examples of good quality production's in game play story telling game mechanic's and that is why they are refered to as AAA title's, And your trying to say swotor is one of these titles ? seriously ? so your saying swotor is a AAA title because what it had the budget of one ? the game doesnt come to close to any of those title's in any way.

Well there is that saying opinions are like such and such. I think that applies here.

The fact that you think Modern Warfare 3 has "good quality production's in game play story telling game mechanic's " just leads me to believe we are far, far apart on our interpretation of story telling.

It should be only about quality* and gameplay but it's a marketing term so it's unfortunately not that simple. It's as much about hype, playerbase size and perception as it is about perceived quality. It's also about reviews and we all know how trustworthy they are.

*whose opinion matters here anyway? Reviewers? People shouting the loudest in forums? The fanboys? Etc.

Well there is that saying opinions are like such and such. I think that applies here.

The fact that you think Modern Warfare 3 has "good quality production's in game play story telling game mechanic's " just leads me to believe we are far, far apart on our interpretation of story telling.

Its considered a good game for a fps isnt it ? that it sells like happy meals, i dont actually play it because i dont like mc donalds, But then you did just say yourself a its a tripple A title along side swotor :rolleyes:

Yes, I did. Because it is. Whether I like it or you like it is irrelevant. You kind of just proved my point for me there. You don't like MW3 so don't play it but that doesn't change its AAA status. The same applies to this one.

Its considered a good game for a fps isnt it ? that it sells like happy meals, i dont actually play it because i dont like mc donalds, But then you did just say yourself a its a tripple A title along side swotor :rolleyes:

Think of it like Hollywood Blockbusters. The big movies each year. They're rarely the same ones as the critically acclaimed ones.

Example: SpaceChem, one of the best, if not the best, puzzle game that came out in 2011. Superb game, very addictive, extremely well executed. Small budget, indie developer so never, ever, ever going to be a AAA game despite it being a best-in-class game. Its genre didn't help either.

It's all marketing buzz with this AAA stuff. Which was what I was getting at in my original post, the marketing, official reviews and IP will keep sucking people in for a good while despite the flaws in this game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

AAA to me is more a marketing term than a quality term. I'd never describe a fantastic game as AAA, but i've probable used it to describe the likes on MW3, BF3 etc... To me its just a way of describing a massive game, with a massive budget and fanbase.

The fix's that Kirby posted earlier will solve one of the biggest issues that people have been complaining about. Posting this again as it seems to have been missed by some.
    Hi everyone; I wanted to give you all an update on the ability delay situation.

Thanks to constructive feedback from the community, including some great videos, we were able to identify an issue that could cause abilities on global cooldown to appear available to the player, resulting in unresponsive/ignored player input. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Additionally, we have located an issue that would cause player input for certain instant abilities to fail in frantic combat situations, resulting in unpredictable and frustrating gameplay issues for the affected player. A fix for the issue is currently scheduled to go to the public test server with our next update.

Finally, our engineers have identified an issue introducing a significant delay between player input and ability execution in certain game situations, most notably (but not limited to) fast paced PvP. The magnitude of the delay varies with a number of factors, including processor hardware, but can, especially on dual core CPUs, result in a very perceivable reduction in game responsiveness. We are in the later stages of testing a fix for the problem and hope to be able to roll it out to the servers very soon.

We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input, but the above mentioned developments should provide a very measurable improvement in combat responsiveness.

Thanks again for your patience and support and we hope to see you on the public test server to help us validate these improvements before pushing them to the live servers.

Georg Zoeller
    Principal Lead Combat Designer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I apply AAA to games made by big companies like blizzard, valve, bioware etc. That have a crap lot of money.
    That doesn't mean they are good, but of course they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Spunge wrote: »
    I apply AAA to games made by big companies like blizzard, valve, bioware etc. That have a crap lot of money.
    That doesn't mean they are good, but of course they can be.

I apply AAA to batteries, but then I'm not as much a nerd as the rest of you guys, rofl:eek:

• Advertisement

Omphin wrote: »
    but then I'm not as much a nerd as the rest of you guys, rofl:eek:

Yet you're posting in a MMO thread.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Yet you're posting in a MMO thread.... :pac:

ok, i am a nerd, just not hardcore....oh feck it i probably am:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

well I took the plunge and got it and 2 month card thing,am I too late for the 1 month free sub?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

well I took the plunge and got it and 2 month card thing,am I too late for the 1 month free sub?
    You usually get the 1 month sub with any MMO you buy (i.e. it comes with the initial purchase of the box).

how much space on the hard drive does it need? It doesn't actually say it on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Stev_o wrote: »
    I don't get it. I laughed at the "Night At the Roxbury" bit, but that's an easter egg. What's up with the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

how much space on the hard drive does it need? It doesn't actually say it on the box
    My folder is 37.5 gb, though I do have a load of extra test realm stuff in there which you wouldn't need. As far as I remember a fresh install was 25-30gb.

Blowfish wrote: »
    My folder is 37.5 gb, though I do have a load of extra test realm info in there which you wouldn't need. As far as I remember a fresh install was 25-30gb.

oh dear :eek: time to uninstall some games then :-P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My folder is 21gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

LMAO!

SBjrT.jpg

Advertisement