Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiith wrote: »
    Releasing a patch on Saturday morning...awesome Bioware. Obviously no one in Europe could possibly want to play now. Also, put the forums to read only so no one can voice their compaints.

Absolutely stellar job from them.

If it was some urgent bug I'd be ok with a Saturday morning patch. Content patch, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The game just crashes to the desktop for me now :(

Ten seconds in Tatooine and then boom

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Is it possible to get the Games client posted to me. My broadband is so slow and I only have a limited download available per month. Which doesn't even cover the size of the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

somuj wrote: »
    Is it possible to get the Games client posted to me. My broadband is so slow and I only have a limited download available per month. Which doesn't even cover the size of the client.

If you know someone within normal reach who has the game installed and all patches etc installed, just copy their folder to your hdd. That's how i had to do it in the end, stupid eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well last day off of my five before getting back to work.

Got from 30-40. Tbh still felt myself getting pulled away by WoW and league of legends.

I enjoyed the class quest I'm at with my Jedi Guardian, but still havnt felt engrossed enough to spend all my time levelling.

Will hopefully put a bit more effort to hit 50 so I can just stop worrying about it and do endgame content, but still not overly sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I found 30-35 on guardian quite hard tbh after i got doc though i am just hammering stuff level 39 now and also working on my level 50 gear wise i am enjoying the game was not too impressed with the end part of the trooper class quest though

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Genuinely disappointed by the customer service within the game and out of the game as well. Played my Sorcerer the last few days and used my Dromond Kass commendations at early level 15 to buy the level 16 lightsaber so I wouldn't have to waste time travelling back. I didn't read the description to notice that the one I bought had a Light I requirement with all my choices so far sending me to Dark I. No bother says I, will just sell it back to the vendor for which I received some credits and no commendations. So I bought it back and opened a GM ticket. It's open 5 days, rolling onto a 6th today with no resolution. I'm at a point now where I am about to outlevel the item anyway.

My out of game gripe is running on a month now. Since a patch around Christmas time the game has suffered random lockups and game crashes on me. As in I could play an hour and be grand then crash 5 times in a 10 minute period. It's an average of four crashes per 2 hour session for me which is a nightmare for doing group quests or any kind of PVP. The game played perfect in the beta and I had no crashes in the early access program outside of server instability. Whatever was pushed in their pre Xmas patch has killed my install. I'v gone through countless tickets and emails with them, currently on my 8th email and each time a different person responds effectively asking me the same questions again and again. I'v been told 4 times to reinstall my drivers and the latest suggestion is my router could be causing my game to disconnect. Fantastic suggestion except I am not disconnecting my client is locking up and dying on me!

Very poor customer service on all accounts.

To be fair, i'd probably ignore the first request if i saw it as a GM. It's not something that they should be helping with. You made a mistake by buying something you couldn't use, because you didn't look at the items stats. It's in no way their fault. They shouldn't take 5 days to tell you that though.

The 2nd one, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

To be fair, i'd probably ignore the first request if i saw it as a GM. It's not something that they should be helping with. You made a mistake by buying something you couldn't use, because you didn't look at the items stats. It's in no way their fault. They shouldn't take 5 days to tell you that though.

Good to see the boards MMO community chipping in with a helpful response as ever :)

The only person I am blaming for not reading the stats is myself. However I can rightly have a pop off of their system for now allowing a refund (hello WoW refund system) within a reasonbale time limit, 10 seconds in my case was somewhat reasonable. It is something however that GMs deal with as part of their job description, when you go and create a ticket they even have a catagory for item/loot issues. Assuming that goes into a dedicated queue, (otherwise picking a catagory is pointless) it should be processed with within a few hours nor days. Straight forward item swap or commendations refund, would take the GM 30 seconds to process it. If it was something that they wanted to avoid dealing with the above mentioned refund within a time limit system should work. Couldn't see it being a big deal to code, you could even safe guard it from abuse my not allowing a refund if any part of the item is missing like a mod / hilt etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

witless1 wrote: »
    Good to see the boards MMO community chipping in with a helpful response as ever :)

The only person I am blaming for not reading the stats is myself. However I can rightly have a pop off of their system for now allowing a refund (hello WoW refund system) within a reasonbale time limit, 10 seconds in my case was somewhat reasonable. It is something however that GMs deal with as part of their job description, when you go and create a ticket they even have a catagory for item/loot issues. Assuming that goes into a dedicated queue, (otherwise picking a catagory is pointless) it should be processed with within a few hours nor days. Straight forward item swap or commendations refund, would take the GM 30 seconds to process it. If it was something that they wanted to avoid dealing with the above mentioned refund within a time limit system should work. Couldn't see it being a big deal to code, you could even safe guard it from abuse my not allowing a refund if any part of the item is missing like a mod / hilt etc.

Considering the amount of polish SWTOR needs on just normal everyday MMO functions I don't think item refunds are even in the same galaxy nevermind on the to do list lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Leigh, i can sympathise, a similar thing happened to me. The first raid token i got , i went to trade it in. When you look at the tokens in the vendor, there is no tooltip to indicate what set they are part of. As a result i bought the healer consular set as opposed to the damage one. Obviously theres no refund so i made a ticket. I got it refunded but it took a while.

I dont think its too much to ask for refunds from gms, but the game is so bad, they are snowed under with requests and its about a 2 week waiting period. We've given up asking for refunds from normals because of the delay.

witless1 wrote: »

I aim to please :P

I still don't think GM's should be dealing with accidental purchases, especially when there are actual bugs and major issues to deal with. Warcraft (iirc) only got the refund system fairly recently too. This isn't directed at your mistake, just in general. I did something similar myself with my first character. Spent 25k or something like that (out of a total 30k) on some lvl50 Relic. Really annoyed at that.

Thankfully slicing was bringing in crazy money at that time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I aim to please :P

I still don't think GM's should be dealing with accidental purchases, especially when there are actual bugs and major issues to deal with. Warcraft (iirc) only got the refund system fairly recently too. This isn't directed at your mistake, just in general. I did something similar myself with my first character. Spent 25k or something like that (out of a total 30k) on some lvl50 Relic. Really annoyed at that.

Thankfully slicing was bringing in crazy money at that time :cool:

The Wow refund system was in Wotlk, so we are talking voer 2 years ago....

Based on the fact that there are a huge number of users (thousands) who can't patch to 1.1 and therefore can't play at all right now, I think refunds are probably a bit down the queue right now.

I played for about 5 hours last night and didn't need to group at all (couldn't if I wanted to based on people around!), enjoying the game immensely as single player experience and thoroughly enjoying the trooper storyline but I must admit, I am desperate to get to lvl 50 so that I can play with some other people in groups.

Thank god they added the companion concept or some of the larger phases would be next to impossible for certain specs.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The Wow refund system was in Wotlk, so we are talking voer 2 years ago....

I stand corrected. Thought it was more recent, but now that i think about it i remember using it in Wintergrasp a few times.

I stand by my other point though :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a refund system? o_0 Why? If you don't read the description, then tough :p No matter, as everyone else has said, there're a lot of other vital issues need solving first I guess.

I hit 33 last night and have finally finished with Tatooine. I think I need to spend some time learning about gear because despite the high level, I'm having difficulty in combat.

I spent some time over the last couple of days getting crew skills levelled up so my Artiface, Archeology and Treasure Hunting are in or around the 200 mark. Have learned a few purple spec items too, so might start selling them for cash to fund new gear.

I've been spending my planetary commendations on things like Armour plate, mods and enhancements - am I better off spending them on something else?

Shiminay wrote: »
    I hit 33 last night and have finally finished with Tatooine.

I finished Tatooine last night (excluding Bonus Series) at level 27, should I spend time levelling around the place before continuing?

There's a refund system? o_0 Why? If you don't read the description, then tough :p

Dav, Im a jedi consular. There are 2 Advanced Classes, Shadow (melee) and Sage (caster). Each of these has 2 distinct specs, shadow has a rogue-y dps and a tank. Sage has a mege/warlock type spec and a healer spec. So quite a lot of diversity.

When you win a token from a dungeon or raid, It tells you its a "Jedi Consular unassembled headpiece". So it could be used for all specs. So far so good.

Now, go to the vendor where you turn this in and look at the range of head pieces. Some have defence and some have accuracy (a purely melee stat), so theyre out. After that however, they just have varying degrees of willpower and other stats. You cant see the 2 and 4 set bonuses they give when you are buying them. These only appear when they are in your inv. Leaving you to GUESS which are the mage items and which are the Healer items.

So yes. They need a refund system.

Draupnir wrote: »
    I finished Tatooine last night (excluding Bonus Series) at level 27, should I spend time levelling around the place before continuing?

If your class quest is green or yellow then you dont need to and you can follow it to the next planet. If its red or orange finish tat till its green or yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Draupnir wrote: »
    I hit 33 last night and have finally finished with Tatooine.

Smuggler? I finished up on Tatooine last night myself at lvl 30. On Alderaan now and most missions are 28/29.

Dustaz wrote: »
    When you win a token from a dungeon or raid, It tells you its a "Jedi Consular unassembled headpiece". So it could be used for all specs. So far so good.

Now, go to the vendor where you turn this in and look at the range of head pieces. Some have defence and some have accuracy (a purely melee stat), so theyre out. After that however, they just have varying degrees of willpower and other stats. You cant see the 2 and 4 set bonuses they give when you are buying them. These only appear when they are in your inv. Leaving you to GUESS which are the mage items and which are the Healer items.

So yes. They need a refund system.

Really? Holy **** thats a terrible design. Ok i take it back, a refund system is needed. Or a properly designed reward system.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

The whole game is just one big mess.
    after getting my second toon to 50 i dont see any point
    as there is feck all to do as my server is lousy and still feels
    like a solo game.

Ilum is a lagfest...and then the grind for tokens is a pain
    Im sorry i resubbed for 60 days..must have been mad..
    this game needs at least 12 months of redisign.
    rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

It would be in BWs interest to open up free server transfers (or at least cheap paid ones). Populations imbalances and empty servers are going to make even more people leave this game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was just making funs at the refunds system thing - I actually think it's a perfectly reasonable service to add in (if you're going to have buy-back in shops etc, refunds make sense and from an RP point of view, it still makes perfect sense). I had no idea that you could run into the problems you've outlined Lee, that's, putting it mildly, fked up. :(

The reason I'm probably so over-levelled for my stage in the game is that I would duck in and do the space missions and not quest if I was short on time, or fancied playing another game. They're great for very quick and very easy XP. I also make sure I log out in a rest zone all the time so I have the XP boost when I get back in.

Dustaz wrote: »
    If your class quest is green or yellow then you dont need to and you can follow it to the next planet. If its red or orange finish tat till its green or yellow.

That's a good benchmark actually, cheers, it's Orange right now I think.

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Smuggler? I finished up on Tatooine last night myself at lvl 30. On Alderaan now and most missions are 28/29.

I've a trooper, maybe I'll do the bonus series and maybe see if I can find some random to do a Heroic or two somewhere. Randoms are rare in my experience though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    The whole game is just one big mess.
    after getting my second toon to 50 i dont see any point
    as there is feck all to do as my server is lousy and still feels
    like a solo game.

Ilum is a lagfest...and then the grind for tokens is a pain
    Im sorry i resubbed for 60 days..must have been mad..
    this game needs at least 12 months of redisign.
    rant over!

Fair play to ya for being able to get a second character to 50 as I quit on my BH alt at level 37 due to not being able to face running the same quest lines in the same order again :( Thankfully I cancelled my sub 5 days before the renewal kicked in as when F2P rubbish like DCU and STO pull you away there is something very wrong lol.

The amount of in your face grinding you need to do for social, PvE and PvP gear is just mind blowing for a modern MMO and the dev team really should of taken a leaf from WoW, Rift and Warhammer and hidden it better imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'm on Taris and my god is the lag after the last update ungodly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Make sure your settings are the way you want them. Graphics settings have been known to change on their own on some patches. i.e Anti-Aliasing and shadows turning back on.

Advertisement