Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

noticed that on the last patch will check tonight cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Draupnir wrote: »
    Jaxxy wrote: »
    Smuggler? I finished up on Tatooine last night myself at lvl 30. On Alderaan now and most missions are 28/29.

I've a trooper, maybe I'll do the bonus series and maybe see if I can find some random to do a Heroic or two somewhere. Randoms are rare in my experience though!

True! If there were more guildies around the Heroics could run so much better. As it is I automatically untrack Heroics because I couldn't be bothered with groups most of the time.

I would recommend the Tat bonus series though, I got some good stuff, I think I got a new gun at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

allanb49 wrote: »
    noticed that on the last patch will check tonight cheers

You're generally okay for lag though. I found Alderaan fairly laggy last night, but then again I find everything laggy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I'm on Taris and my god is the lag after the last update ungodly

Are you at the bonus series or the main planet?

Taris used to have a horrific amount of lag, but they fixed it a good while ago (it was fine when i went thru there with an alt a few days ago). Only the bonus series area still suffers from it and holy christ its bad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So having started moshing my way through Alderaan, I was getting smacked all over the place by the basic mooks. "This will not do" I said to myself, so I found the closest Galactic Auction House and went spending. Got a new Implant, Off-Hand Shield and head gear (that looks like a pair of blinged out welding goggles!), bracers, boots and gloves and even spent the 2 Alderaan commendations I'd managed to pick up on an equipment mod to increase my sabre and upon my return to the fight, I was in far, far better shape for killing things. I'm gonna try make a habbit out of checking the auction house once every few days - I've been selling stuff I can't use that I pick up with moderate success.

• Advertisement

Jaxxy wrote: »
    You're generally okay for lag though. I found Alderaan fairly laggy last night, but then again I find everything laggy. :D
    Dustaz wrote: »
    Are you at the bonus series or the main planet?

Taris used to have a horrific amount of lag, but they fixed it a good while ago (it was fine when i went thru there with an alt a few days ago). Only the bonus series area still suffers from it and holy christ its bad.

I've loaded it up tuesday and wednesday and it's just a moving camera for about 2 mins no character then it loads up and is all jerky,

Just on the main planet and i think there where only 30 people on it the other night, Could be a one off anomaly whats the bonus series?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    So having started moshing my way through Alderaan, I was getting smacked all over the place by the basic mooks. "This will not do" I said to myself, so I found the closest Galactic Auction House and went spending. Got a new Implant, Off-Hand Shield and head gear (that looks like a pair of blinged out welding goggles!), bracers, boots and gloves and even spent the 2 Alderaan commendations I'd managed to pick up on an equipment mod to increase my sabre and upon my return to the fight, I was in far, far better shape for killing things. I'm gonna try make a habbit out of checking the auction house once every few days - I've been selling stuff I can't use that I pick up with moderate success.

No need to buy from the Ah.

MMO rule #3
    Never buy gear, you will always get better drops and quest rewards.

I believe endgame professions do provide your BIS gear, but there is absolutely no point.

Every planet you commendations you get allow you to buy two items of gear from the planet comm vendor and all the mods/enchancements you need.

After the first couple of planets you gearset will be fine.

Waste of money imo considering how much the last two levels of riding speed cost

I've loaded it up tuesday and wednesday and it's just a moving camera for about 2 mins no character then it loads up and is all jerky,
    Yeah, that sounds like the way it used to be on taris. No idea why your getting that now
    Just on the main planet and i think there where only 30 people on it the other night, Could be a one off anomaly whats the bonus series?

When you finish the class quest and main planet questline of a planet, it opens up a bonus area to you thats higher level. Its either available when you go back to the spaceport as you leave the planet or in some cases such as aldaraan, you are breadcrumbed back to it at a later time.

I found them handy enough for a couple of reasons. 1 they give pretty good money and 2 they are generally easier than the planet your on at the time, so you can more or less aoe your way through them for an extra level.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I found that despite the drops, which weren't bad at all and have been pretty much all I've been using, I was just getting splattered - a group of 4 mooks would leave me almost dead and that can't be right when I'm technically over-levelled.

I am, of course, entirely prepared to chalk it down to the fact that given this is my first MMO, I'm simply useless at the combat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Shiminay wrote: »
    I found that despite the drops, which weren't bad at all and have been pretty much all I've been using, I was just getting splattered - a group of 4 mooks would leave me almost dead and that can't be right when I'm technically over-levelled.

I am, of course, entirely prepared to chalk it down to the fact that given this is my first MMO, I'm simply useless at the combat :)
    Depending on what class you are, your companion can also make a fairly large difference. For me as a Sith Warrior, levelling was doable with a dps companion, but altogether much smoother with the healing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The general rule of thumb is,

If you are Damage specced, go for the healing companion.
    If you are Tank specced, go for the damage companion.
    If you are healing specced, go for the damage companion or a tank companion geared with damage gear.

It will make leveling alot easier as you will have no downtime between groups of monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cinnamono

So I've decided to roll out an alt. I only really play my Sage for raids now, and I feel I'm overpowered for PvP, it's slightly unfair.

My main goal is to play as a Bounty Hunter and power my way to Level 50. This involves:
    • Skipping all dialogue except for my class quest (I hear it's good). I generally found side quests boring anyway.
    • Skipping flashpoints, PvP and Heroics, generally any group content that requires waiting around or looking for groups, unless I see an open invitation for a Heroic that involves doing it quickly
    • Constant resting. Bearing in mind I only play 4 hours a day weekdays and around 6 hours a day weekends, that's a lot of double XP, which I would think makes up for the lack of XP from the above.
    So, is this doable? My main concern is obviously the lack of quality gear due to the lack of FPs, and whether green gear (or the odd blue) from quests, and commendations, is enough. Then again, by doing all the above with the sage, I was completely overleveled by the time I was 50, didn't even get to Corelia til 49, so I aim to be finished before that this time.

I'll give it a go. My sage took 7 days, 12 hours to get to 50. I am to do this in half the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Get yourself oranged up, blow all your commendations on mods as you leave the world, and you'll be well geared - I stopped doing FPs and heroics on my hunter half way through, and have been fine.

The class story is indeed quite good (I'm on Correllia with my BH atm), and I wouldn't advise leaning too heavy on the spacebar - you haven't seen the imp main story, which has some really great bits. Up to yourself, mind.

cinnamono wrote: »
    So I've decided to roll out an alt. I only really play my Sage for raids now, and I feel I'm overpowered for PvP, it's slightly unfair.

My main goal is to play as a Bounty Hunter and power my way to Level 50. This involves:

You think your sage is OP so your gonna roll an operative?:)

Your plan is pretty much the way i levelled my main. I didnt bother with FPs because the xp is pretty bad and after the first few planets i didnt really bother with heroics that much either. I was at corellia at 48 i think.

Basically, class and planet quests, with space mission and the odd bonus series thrown in and you dont need much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cinnamono

Dustaz wrote: »
    You think your sage is OP so your gonna roll an operative?:)

Your plan is pretty much the way i levelled my main. I didnt bother with FPs because the xp is pretty bad and after the first few planets i didnt really bother with heroics that much either. I was at corellia at 48 i think.

Basically, class and planet quests, with space mission and the odd bonus series thrown in and you dont need much else.

Well I'm doing BH because I hear it's a good story (The consular one is rubbish). I've also used my Sage as both healer and DPS so I want a class that can be a tank too.

That's basically what I'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Powertech is tank and medium range dps. Merc is healing and long range dps.

As for leveling, the Merc is godlike. Go Arsenal spec and blow through everything with unload, Tracer missile and heatseeker missile. I dinged 50 doing the very first mission on Voss without ever setting foot on Corellia or Ilum.

5 days 20 hours and that was a sedate playstyle doing every quest and not skipping any cutscenes. If you go hardcore and just watch the class missions I could imagine a 3 day play time blitz to 50 easily.

With regards gear, pick an orange gun and orange armor set you like the look of and just stick new mods into it every level. It's the most efficient way of doing things and you can pick a set you like the look of.

Medium to short - Pyrotech PT DPS is in the 15-4m range, but Advanced Prototype likes being closer than that for hidden blade & rocket punch (<4m)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Think I will finish class quest tonight.
    Pulled a sicky from work yesterday and levelled to 50 :D
    Correllia is actually quite a nice planet! Good Star Wars feel about it

Anyone got any tips for Thanathon? (Not spoilers!)
    I'm thinking of some quick pvp for buffs beforehand.
    Not sure if a tank companion or healer companion will work best. (I'm dps sorcerer)
    Guess I will find out anyway after my first attempt.

Also what kind of specs are you other dps Sorcerers using? I pretty much halved points spend between lightning and madness, seems to work the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Loco wrote: »
    Also what kind of specs are you other dps Sorcerers using? I pretty much halved points spend between lightning and madness, seems to work the best for me.

It is looking like a hybrid build is out performing a traditional full tree build in either tree. Again this is only looking like because of a lack of combat logs and theory crafting. Most people seem to go as far as Chain Lightning and then invest in the Madness tree. A good percentage of your damage comes from DoTs and it is looking very strong in PVP and PVE. That generally means a nerf down the line and the fact a hybrid tree is possible without touching the top tier talents can also be guaranteed a nerf or upper tree buff will happen.

I've spent almost 2 weeks now on Taris, the lag is really holding me up and i'm LV24 and it's a lowish level planet,

Should fly through the other places i reckon after this,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Did they make a change to the way cooldown is displayed on the UI in the latest patch? The actual pushback and cooldown overlays seem much more conspicuous to me now and I really like it. I don't think I changed a setting to cause it myself.

They did, yeah. Along with making sprint stay on when you die. \o/

Raphael wrote: »
    They did, yeah. Along with making sprint stay on when you die. \o/
    Indeed. The only problem with the sprint thing though is that by complete habit I hit my keybind for it every time I rez, so I end up switching it off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even better, Corso Riggs no longer turns his Harpoon thing back on everytime he's summoned. Bloody annoying that one.

That's pretty funny - you could switch that keybind to your buff? No real need to have sprint bound anymore.

Raphael wrote: »
    That's pretty funny - you could switch that keybind to your buff? No real need to have sprint bound anymore.
    Well I have the buff bound too and hit both. But you're right, I'll more than likely just take it off my bars for a while. Having the extra button slot will be handy too, for me as a Juggernaut, not everything I want to bind will even fit on my bars.

Patch 1.2 trailer is out, and it seems to be pretty good. Loads of new features,

A new Warfront, new Operation and a new Flashpoint, as well as a working Legacy system, UI customisations, high res textures, appearence customisations and loads of other things too.

From looking at the Guild summit, I'm really stoked about the kinda stuff on offer for 1.2 - some of the legacy features look great.

Also, we got a forum? :eek:

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, we got a forum? :eek:
    Surprise!

Based on the poll data from the who's still playing thread, there was still sufficient interest, so request was approved.

Advertisement