Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Heh, try healing on Kephess!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have still to run a HM due to commitments outside of the game, but hopefully when i hit 50 with my Marauder itll be easier for me to get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can anyone tell me if the 00800 number works and is free off vodafone landline/mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Varik wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the 00800 number works and is free off vodafone landline/mobile.

No, the call centre is in Galway but it's an English number and there's no Irish equivalent so far as I was able to learn. You're better off using Skype and calling the American number free instead.

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    So what I am wondering is, Cathar in 1.4, will it cost 1.5 Mil? if so, f*ck that, took me ages to reach 1.5 mil to unlock another species.

Still messing around with my Marauder though, I am in game broke, I actually have debts to pay off. :P

I know what you mean :) I'm 41 on my marauder and still only have my 90% mount. Too lazy to move money over from my other guy :P

• Advertisement

Bioware sure are doing their best to make it a grindfest anyway, between the legacy perks, augments and armor removal costs since 1.3 they've basically said "go farm dailies every day to take up your time while we add new content"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

Yep, takes time to do the job grinding but spends it in a minute.

Once i started doing the Belsavis dailes on my BH i had close to a million credits.

Contrasting to my marauder, once i hit 50 i had 500k and couldnt afford to buy my speeder after all the new skills i had to buy at 50.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just finished act 1 on my Sentinel. That was pretty epic i have to say. Kind of disappointed i didn't at least get a cut scene with the
    Desolator exploding
    . Heading back to Alderaan now, and then to Balmorra. Balmorra was where i stopped playing with my Smuggler, so i plan on flying through it.

Quite enjoying the game again.

Sentinel storyline was pretty meh imo. Gonna start an imperial agent soon, apparantly theirs is the best

• Advertisement

I like it so far. Seems more 'epic' (in a Skywalker kind of way) then my Smuggler ever did. Imperial Agent is next on my list, as i've heard it's probably the best of all the stories. I've always found it tough to be a total dick in games though. So i'll probably be a light side Agent.

I went full evil marauder, some choices i was like "awh sh!te i dont wanna do that"

But i was keeping with the moral choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I loved the trooper story line. Act 1 was particuraly good. It felt like Mass Effect in a way. I just finished Act 1 of the Sith Inquisitor and I didn't find the story line all that engaging at least compared to Sith Inquisitor, but the end of act 1 made me laugh. I wasn't expecting that! The Sith inquistir character going full evil made up for the less engaging story. So many choice quips and put downs, it made me laugh out loud on numerous occassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20120731

SWTOR is going free to play this Autumn.

.... And i finally got around to cancelled my sub this month. Go figure..

No surprise really. The subscription model is on it's way out, and i'd say most, if not all, mmo's will be f2p from now on.

Unless there's serious incentive to stay subbed I think I'm going to go F2P. After all we were sold about the CE store getting new gear on a regular basis I'm not too inclined to believe there's going to be any real benefit to staying subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kiith wrote: »
    No surprise really. The subscription model is on it's way out, and i'd say most, if not all, mmo's will be f2p from now on.

Pretty much, cant think of any big MMO's out in the forseable future with a sub, The Secret World being the last. Its just the way the market has shifted, and with 2 of the biggest MMO's this year being "Pay once" (Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2) its insane to try compete with a sub.

Might jump back in at the end of the year, find myself getting frustrated with MMO games after more than a few days so paying for a month at a time didnt suit me.

You'd have to wonder what the benefits will be to staying subbed at €15 a month really. Pay it so that I can do the same Hardmode FP's over and over, and maybe a new operation/warzone every 3 or 4 months?

F2P will pretty much kill the levelling process of the game, because we all know the ... age bracket it will attract, and if continuing to just play at 50 means still paying the full subscription, I'm not sure it's worth it.

The forums are going absolutely mental over it.

Cina wrote: »
    The forums are going absolutely mental over it.

The forums go absolutely mental over anything. As has been said regarding official forums before...You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy :cool:

True. What I jsut don't get though, is that they're going to have these Cartel coins which you get either by remaining subbed or by buying content and staying f2p, which seems to leave two scenarios for subbed players, either you get all this content free anyway and don't actually need the coins, or staying subbed purely means you can get a certain amount a month and continue to use ops/warzones, but you still have to pay money to get these coins to buy the content.

The latter option would be a little ridiculous, it basically f*cks over people who have remained subbed throughout. We're still paying the same amount as we have always done for less content, as well as having to pay money to buy these new 'luxury' items and gear.

If that does happen, I genuinely can't see myself staying in the game, as much as I still enjoy it :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    The forums go absolutely mental over anything. As has been said regarding official forums before...You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy :cool:

Doesn't help when the Imperials over at BioWare have pretty much ignored every bit of feedback they've received from the playerbase in favour of doing their own thing. The more they tighten their grip, the more subs that slip through their fingers.

I want a very clear explanation of what these Cartel coins do because if my €15 a month doesn't buy me exactly the same value (or more consider I'm in a billing cycle) than Johnny F2P I sure as hell am not staying subbed. I don't even see why they're bothering with Cartel coins for subbed accounts, we should just get the stuff for free as normal and the F2P players can buy it with their artificial currency if they want access. If all we get are luxury items I'm not making the same mistake I did with the CE again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

didnt they something about raising the levels before? like beyond 50? wouldnt that be the main draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

zuroph wrote: »
    didnt they something about raising the levels before? like beyond 50? wouldnt that be the main draw?

They mentioned it briefly in the coming this year video at E3 but never went into much details about it. The big problem I see in raising the level cap is the amount of work and cost in adding more VO work if its done via class story quests or how dull and boring it would be if players needed to grind endgame OPs and Raids over and over to level up.

As for SWTOR going F2P all I can say is meh. Why play a game with such a bad F2P model when you can play GW2 with all the bells and whistles for just the price of the box. Tho this would explain why so many of the cool armor designs from SWTOR's beta got pulled just before launch so they can now be sold in the cash shop.

Limiting F2P customers to only 1 level 50 character, no access to OPs/raids/endgame content and no AH is not going to get customers to spend money on the product in the long term. But then considering the many bad design choices the devs went with from day one I can't say I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Venom wrote: »
    As for SWTOR going F2P all I can say is meh. Why play a game with such a bad F2P model when you can play GW2 with all the bells and whistles for just the price of the box.

I think a lot of people will sign up and play the game purely for the character story. It's 8 single player games wrapped in an MMO world. When I played the game I really enjoyed the class storyline and the work that went into it. Sadly the game refused to play for longer then 10 mins without crashing and customer support just washed their hands on it. When I get a new machine in the Autumn I think I might try out the storylines of the other classes.
    Venom wrote: »
    Limiting F2P customers to only 1 level 50 character, no access to OPs/raids/endgame content and no AH is not going to get customers to spend money on the product in the long term.

Yeah that's a bizarre model to try and make money. If they only attract people after the single player elements the whole MMO scene is lost on them, you can level to max without requiring any real MMO interactions. Is it just one level 50 though? I only briefly checked:
    http://www.swtor.com/free/features

And didn't see anything about it being just 1 character to 50, could be there though and I'm just not seeing it :)

I'd also question the motivation for people to stay subbed if the content is slow in coming. Like anyone into raiding in a serious manner what's stopping them subbing for a few months until new content comes out? That could tip them below their min required subscribers.

Advertisement