Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, you are pretty much unkillable with a healing companion. I've been powering through heroics, and even started pulling multiple groups just to fly through. Kind of ridiculous, but lots of fun :) And you can turn back on the map markers for regular side quests if you enjoy them. I've just done them all, so am delighted to not even see them anymore. Really looking forward to the new content though, as it's supposed to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I'm on chapter 4 as commando. Its a very interesting story so far.

Anyway Bioware said they wanted to make it more story driven and soloable because that's what they were all about before swtor. I think they've achieved that and generally everyone is happy. I know I'm done with MMO raiding etc and jumping into a SW story is fine by me. Considering the price to do so..

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

ive just redownloaded the game, i like the idea of it being story driven so im going to continue on with the game from where i left off. I remember most of the storyline anyway adn cant face the whole starting from scratch

You also get a free lvl60 boost if you subscribe, and don't fancy doing the 1-60 content.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have they given out the speeder/gear/companion for subbing yet.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i got them already. I think you needed to be subbed over 3 different dates. I got a speeder, dual pistols and a chest jacket thing. And the companion, though i won't use him till i encounter him in the actual story.

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i got them already. I think you needed to be subbed over 3 different dates. I got a speeder, dual pistols and a chest jacket thing. And the companion, though i won't use him till i encounter him in the actual story.

Was subbed, so will check.

Thought when they said the expansion was free for subscribers that it meant it was free while subscribed, but if you've subscribed you get to keep all the chapters of the expansions that were released while and before you subbed.

Currently subbed so I can get the current 9 chapters of the knights of the fallen empire, revan, and the hutts while playing free next month.

Yeah, you get everything that is there at the moment for one months sub. Pretty good, but also a good way of keeping people come back every month, as they are releasing a new chapter for the next 4-5 months.

Yeah, you get everything that is there at the moment for one months sub. Pretty good, but also a good way of keeping people come back every month, as they are releasing a new chapter for the next 4-5 months.

Started up a 60 there just to have a look as my I'd rather get the 55s I've got up to 60 playing revan and hutt cartel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

if you make a lvl 60 character you can delete them and make a new one before they hit lvl 61 if you decide you dont like the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Can't you just resub when the last chapter is out and unlock from 9 to 15 (or whatever the last chapter was)?

irishmover wrote: »
    Can't you just resub when the last chapter is out and unlock from 9 to 15 (or whatever the last chapter was)?

The idea is they keep going on a monthlyish basis so there'll be a new arc after this.

Yeah, you only get the content if you are currently subscribed, but you do get all previous content when you subscribe. The last 5-6 chapters will be released over the next 5-6 months.

The 12x kinda mess normal play up, but has the new levelling and planet scaling improved it from before.

Just about finished the expansion content on my Knight, and it's really well done. Definitely an improvement over the previous content, though i'm not sure how it could be as relevant for any classes other then the Knight (given his class story). Will be interesting to see though.

Started up an Imperial Agent and Sorcerer last night, and am torn about which one to play. Playing the Agent pretty straight forward (good of the empire, screw the Sith etc...), but going super comic villain crazy for the Sorcerer...it's really fun. Agent storyline is really good though, so might keep them both going and see which one wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just about finished the expansion content on my Knight, and it's really well done. Definitely an improvement over the previous content, though i'm not sure how it could be as relevant for any classes other then the Knight (given his class story). Will be interesting to see though.

Started up an Imperial Agent and Sorcerer last night, and am torn about which one to play. Playing the Agent pretty straight forward (good of the empire, screw the Sith etc...), but going super comic villain crazy for the Sorcerer...it's really fun. Agent storyline is really good though, so might keep them both going and see which one wins out.

Lighting Sorc is much more fun to play than Agent and has much better companions along with their own stories. Personal story wise, I preferred Sorc. Maybe I just heard how epic the Agent one was and it just didnt live up to it for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I played this initially back on release but the MMO focus really wasn't my thing, so I only got to like level 15 or 16 in one character and haven't played since. I've read about how all the changes and in particular the new expansion have really focused on the single player and its now possible to play and level up solely by completing story missions, which sounds great.

I'm thinking of jumping back in with a new character.

I'm not against subbing, but don't want to do it needlessly as my play time is quite limited. I understand you need to sub / pay to get the latest expansion, but if I'm starting from scratch and only playing maybe 6 or 7 hours a week it'll take me a good while to reach that stage. I've also heard that the free to play model has been greatly improved in version 4.0 and that the 12x level boost now applies to free players also so you can play only the story missions.

With the improvements to the free to play model, is there any other reason to consider subbing for levels 1 - 60?

Also, how many hours are we talking about to level up to 60? I'm interested in story / single player stuff only so wont be spending time on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I believe they stopped the 3x level bonus to storyline, so it would be regular time to level unless they extended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Star Wars bug has got me with Battlefront and the new film so just started playing this again as I've cancelled any other sub I had going. Played the first 10 levels or so with JK and SW. Actually quite enjoyed it again.

Love some of the changes they have made such as all companions having a heal, dps or tank spec, solo flashpoints are a great addition too as I remember having to queue for an age for the first one before.
    Game seems to be quite densely populated. Maybe others like me just have the Star Wars bug going too.
    I enjoyed it enough to sub for a month and see how it goes after. Serious XP gain going. Just finished up the Jedi Knight quests to leave the first planet after getting my first saber and I'm level 20. Granted I did all the side-quests too but I'm now way OP for Coruscant. Just gonna do the story quests here I guess.

Are professions worth it or just a credit sink?

• Advertisement

I'm still playing as well, and levelling a few different classes at the same time (Agent and Trooper atm). You absolutely fly through the missions. My Sorcerer was lvl30 after finishing the first planet, but you get downleveled to suit whatever planet you are on. It's still very easy though, as the companions are super-powered machines. Professions seem utterly pointless as far as i can see. You constantly get gear by doing the Heroic missions, which are better then anything you can craft (within reason). I just took 3 collection professions last time, and haven't bothered with crafting.

Definitely worth the sub for me, as i get to just focus on the class and planet missions, and am still way ahead of the levelling curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Heavily considering resubbing, haven't played since 2013, is there a massive difference now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Heavily considering resubbing, haven't played since 2013, is there a massive difference now?

I'm really enjoying it since I came back and yes, there seems to be a lot more to do these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EmonMCC

Wow finding this thread buried here is so sad. Nobody talking about it anymore? Or is everyone on reddit or dulfy these days?

Currently I'm a little worried about update 4.5 which will bring power management nerfs to Inquisitor/Consular classes. Well healing on my Sorc/Sage is already a strain on resources. Especially when you have downtime healing and want to contribute some dps for the raid the healer is very power hungry. I wonder if that will be even more of an issue when the force power is being nerfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I just resubbed yesterday for 2 months as I take a break of sorts from WoW. Anyone else playing?

I pop back in from time to time, but my most recent resub didn't hold my attention for very long. As much as i'd like to experience the story, the gameplay just isn't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I pop back in from time to time, but my most recent resub didn't hold my attention for very long. As much as i'd like to experience the story, the gameplay just isn't up to scratch.

I played this on release and was thinking of booting it up to play the single player as a F2P. Mainly for the story.
    Any suggestions on this Kiith? TBH I havent played since 2012, when I had a single charachter [lvl43 Sith Inq]

Is it worth giving a whirl as a prefered, for a story line? How many hours are i the story?

TBH I have a million things in my backlog, so Im 50/50 on this.....

It's a far better single player game than it is an MMO in my opinion. And in Bioware's opinion it seems, as the last two expansion packs were almost entirely aimed at story based content. Some of the stories are actually really good. I've a light sided Jedi, sarcastic Smuggler, and an absolutely evil bitch of a Sith Sorcerer. Good voice acting for the most part, interesting stories, and half decent combat. It's stupidly easy though, and pretty much impossible to die with the companions being as overpowered as they are.

I'm too sure how it works when playing F2P though. When subscribed, you don't have to do anything bar the class story missions. You may need to do some of the crappy side quests in F2P. Definitely worth it imo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

God damn it man. You were supposed to say it was s**t. Guess ill have to install and give it a whirl. Stupid easy isn't a deal breaker. I normally play games on hard, but not too hard :P, and always for the story.

• Advertisement

So got an email in saying if I sub again before the 20th I get a second month free, might not as I'll have Mass effect but when onto the site.

Did they move away from the last expansion system when you got all released chapters up to the point you subbed to keep, sounds like it or they could have just missed a "," and were referring to a character token.
    Anyone playing much.

Advertisement