Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marshall Major/Minor

• 07-12-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

anyone tried the new Marshall major or minor headphones? Love the design, initial reviews seem to be very positive. €59 for minors in Harvey Norman, thinking of investing, have an inline remote and mic for iphone also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ra0044

Hi

I bought the Marshall Minor headphones about 4 weeks ago. I am really not that impressed by them to be honest.
    They are good looking and comfortable for sure and the mic and remote work ok on my Galaxy s2. For headphones supposedly designed like marshall guitar amps of which i own a couple, the sound is very much lacking in bass and the high frequencies distort when played loud which unfortunately is how I like my rock.
    They also have no sound isolating qualities what so ever. I knew this before i bought them but never realised just how annoying it is on the bus to not have noise isolation. There is however very little noise bleed even when quite loud.
    Sadly as with many quality brands these days I think Marshall just sold the name to a very average manufacturer of headphones. A shame really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Split to own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

ra0044 wrote: »
    Hi

I bought the Marshall Minor headphones about 4 weeks ago. I am really not that impressed by them to be honest.
    They are good looking and comfortable for sure and the mic and remote work ok on my Galaxy s2. For headphones supposedly designed like marshall guitar amps of which i own a couple, the sound is very much lacking in bass and the high frequencies distort when played loud which unfortunately is how I like my rock.
    They also have no sound isolating qualities what so ever. I knew this before i bought them but never realised just how annoying it is on the bus to not have noise isolation. There is however very little noise bleed even when quite loud.
    Sadly as with many quality brands these days I think Marshall just sold the name to a very average manufacturer of headphones. A shame really.

Aw, bummer. Have had 3 pairs of Sony MDREX-38IP for the iphone which I thought had great sound but keep breaking. Have been looking for a decent pair in this price range and had high hopes for these, wont be buying now anyways. Thanks for the info.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

px-100 are 40 quid in hmv i think cheaper online. If you don't want them to completely cover your ear and don't mind open sound they're really good for the price. Fold up nicely too. I have the 200s which I recommend highly, got them for about 55 on amazon.

The headfi forum has some really good reviews, though the prices are always in dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ra0044 wrote: »
    Hi

I bought the Marshall Minor headphones about 4 weeks ago. I am really not that impressed by them to be honest..

I've a pair of majors and have to say, it is the same for them. They are completely lacking in bass, and have a very tinny sound. For what little time I spent using them with my ipod, the results were equally as under whelming.
    I bought them mainly to be used in conjunction with a marshall amp and the difference in the sound from strumming the same chord on the same settings with the headphones plugged in, and then plugged out is absolutely shocking.

Another flaw worth noting is that the major opted for the coiled cable which seems like a great idea to keep a long cable tidy when you don't need it to be long, but doesn't actually work, as it is so taught that if you I walk away from the amp, the cable unplugs itself from the jack.
    I was also hoping to use these with the xbox but this negates that as I'd have to sit uncomfortably close to the tv.

One plus they might have over the minors is that as they are over ear, they might go some little bit further towards noise cancellation.
    But it's also worth noting that the 'cushion' pieces aren't at all comfortable and after a half hour or so of use, my ears hurt.

The only reason I still use them is because I can't use my guitar amp without them and I can't afford a pair of higher quality, but I am seriously considering getting rid of them. All they are good for is looking good hanging off of a marshall amp.

Avoid at all costs.
    /Rant

• Advertisement

I had thought/hoped that this product was going back to the drawing board but as it turns out, they are going further into this venture.
    The major model is going out in a new colour and they are releasing a new model called 'monitor' with a hefty pricetag. Looks the exact same as the major with oval ear pieces instead of square.

http://www.marshallheadphones.com/headphones/monitor/monitor-black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Wow, he certainly puts a positive spin on them, but I couldn't disagree with them more.
    Boost with amp?
    With an amp is how I primarily use mine and the sound is so high on the treble and lacking in bass.

Advertisement