Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Vectra 1.6 Club- should I buy?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a medium sized family saloon for approx 8-9k. I have come across a nice Opel Vectra 1.6 club with low mileage and I might view it tomorrow.

I have been doing some research online to find the spec of the engine but I'm having no luck. It seems vauxhall in the UK didn't do the 1.6 engine.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

You should go for the 1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

shblob wrote: »
    You should go for the 1.8

Agreed, that 1.6 is gutless in a car that size.

And in a higher spec level than Club....

Like this 1.8 SRi http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2636695

Or here's a newer SRi if that suits better: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2550152

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

have you looked at the mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

No. Far better cars out there for 8-9k.

*wait's for Skoda to be suggested.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

vectras are very cheap, should be getting an 09 for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Apparently you can get a Vectra sri 150 bhp diesel in from the north for around that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

166man wrote: »
    No. Far better cars out there for 8-9k.

*wait's for Skoda to be suggested.. :D

Even if i didn't own one I'd still be of the same opinion - the Skoda jokes aren't remotely funny anymore and a waste of pixels.

OP, you'd get a diesel SRi on an 09 plate for that with a better engine, economy and power tax if you didn't mind a Vauxhall badge. Alternatively you could look at a mondeo or Accord but for the money the Vectra is hard to beat in its class. And the later Vectras were a decent car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i have looked into them and theyre about 7k to get a 07 diesel 150bhp sri inc. vrt. you'd definitely get a 09 for 9k. although if the choice is better for 07's it wouldnt be worth it. a 1.6 in a vectra or any large car is false economy
    or get the 120 bhp 8v diesel which is supposed to be much more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Those 150bhp vectras gave lots of DMF and clutch problems, (lots of torque going through the clutch), they are not cheap to fix so keep this in mind.

I just did a quick calculation on a random 58k 08 SRi on auto trader and it came in at €8400 with a small allowance for travel of 400.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Even if i didn't own one I'd still be of the same opinion - the Skoda jokes aren't remotely funny anymore and a waste of pixels.

OP, you'd get a diesel SRi on an 09 plate for that with a better engine, economy and power tax if you didn't mind a Vauxhall badge. Alternatively you could look at a mondeo or Accord but for the money the Vectra is hard to beat in its class. And the later Vectras were a decent car too.

Some of the jokes do occasionally make me lol. Also a Skoda Octavia would be a good suggestion for the OP as an alternative so hardly a ''waste of pixels''.

The diesel SRI do look nice and are a million miles away from the base 1.6 model. Pity the interior is so woeful..

166man wrote: »
    Some of the jokes do occasionally make me lol. Also a Skoda Octavia would be a good suggestion for the OP as an alternative so hardly a ''waste of pixels''.

The diesel SRI do look nice and are a million miles away from the base 1.6 model. Pity the interior is so woeful..

But you didn't suggest anything in your original post so it kinda was a waste of pixels;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Unfortunately I have not had many opportunities to drive nice cars in my live, which is maybe why I can say that I loved my 1.6 Vectra Club which I had for 150k km. Yes it was drab inside but had a decent spec and was very comfortable. I found the 1.6 ok, decent enough for overtaking when needed. If the money is right then I'd say go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something like this is far better than a Vectra in every aspect:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201136204305443

Cheaper to tax on the co2 system than the old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

can i just say though, WHAT the hell were Opel/Vauxhall thinking when they designed that interior. Surely at some point someone must've looked at it and said "dear god what have we done!"

EPM wrote: »
    But you didn't suggest anything in your original post so it kinda was a waste of pixels;)

I thought I would let somebody else make the suggestion as in all seriousness it would be a good option for the OP. Apologies if I offended your Octavia, it's lovely!:)

@Bazz, no offence intended but by any chance do you know the person selling that Mazda 6?It's just I'm sure I have seen the link for it beside your username about 6 time's at this stage! :D

Advertisement