Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance question

• 07-12-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into an apartment and I'm looking to claim rent allowance. I had to move counties as I've recently started a job bridge program.

The guy I pay my rent to doesn't own the apartment but he does own a house up the country where he's receiving rent himself as the girl living there has kids and is having the rent paid by the state.

If I claim rent allowance by using his pps number then will he get taxed extra as he's being paid from 2 different places.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

To get rent supplement you must provide proof of income, this proof of income will have your PPS number on it.

One of the forms for RS requires a landlord to provide proof that he is the person legally entitled to receive the rent, to do this he must supply a copy of his deeds or a sworn declaration that he is the legal owner.

You must also supply a copy of your lease and or your rent book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

thanks for your reply

He doesn't own the apartment, he just lives here and pays the rent to an estate agent. I pay him the rent

Unless you can get your name on to the lease, you probably won't be granted RS for this property.

He's only just after renting the place and the lease is still here with an option for more than one signature.

If I put my name down on the lease as well then would I be able to claim rent allowance?

Thanks again for your reply

If your name is going on the lease, why then would you be paying him rent and not the owner of the property? The department of Social Protection need to know that the landlord getting the payment is the person legally entitled to receive it.

• Advertisement

The lease is still here waiting for the estate agent to collect it, my name isn't on it yet.

I can also put my name on it as it's still here so then it would have 2 names on it

If your name is on the lease then you may be entitled to RS but if his name is also on it then you will get less as it will appear that you are sharing the apartment. The amount of RS for people sharing is less then for people living alone.

You should talk to someone in your local Citizens Information Centre, they should be able to help you through the minefield that is applying for Rent Supplement.

I'm working (job bridge) so getting the time off is difficult to go see them in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Del007 wrote: »
    I recently moved into an apartment and I'm looking to claim rent allowance. I had to move counties as I've recently started a job bridge program.

The guy I pay my rent to doesn't own the apartment but he does own a house up the country where he's receiving rent himself as the girl living there has kids and is having the rent paid by the state.

If I claim rent allowance by using his pps number then will he get taxed extra as he's being paid from 2 different places.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

To qualify for Rent Supplement you have to be renting privately for six months
    out of past twelve months and prove you were able to afford the rent when the the tenancy started and since experienced a change in circumstances (drop in income) or be approved as in need of social housing by the local authority.

More details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Advertisement