Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone give me some history on this ?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

As a child I spent a lot of time in Swords.... Well I lived there so I had to.

I was always fascinated by this and also upset that I could never get the lock off :D

Anybody know whats down there and the history on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I drive up that road at least twice a week and have never noticed that. I'll be watching with interest at the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Well if the Google Map had correctly named the street as "Well Road" it would be clear.:D It's actually the source of the town of Swords name. Well worth checking out Martin Dardis website on Swords

MartinDardis.com
    The Town of Swords was formed in 560 and is named after 'Sord being the Irish Gaelic for pure and of which the holy well of St. Culumba stands to this day which was founded. The water from the well is said to have great healing powers, it remains to this day on consercrated grounds at Well Road Swords

Not much more online about the Well or if any miracles can be attributed to drinking the water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've seen that but never knew what it was. Pity it's locked up - if there's water in there that can cure people I'll be down there with my torch and iron bar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thanks CR. Swords is very historic and the lack of information is somewhat frustrating.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Thanks CR. Swords is very historic and the lack of information is somewhat frustrating.

You could always start a Swords history thread!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not a bad idea.

From The Lord Mayors looking like a Mayo Mascot to the Cinema that pre dated the old Superquinn !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's a few steps that lead down to a well, it wasn't locked when I went to school. If i remeber correctly it is called St. Colmcilles well.
    from wiki
    The town can trace its origins back to 560, having been founded by Saint Colmcille (521-567).[1] Legend has it that the saint blessed a local well, giving the town its name, Sord, meaning "clear" or "pure". However, An Sord also means "the water source" and could indicate a large communal drinking well that existed in antiquity;[2] the well is located on Church Road off Main Street opposite the pavilions.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

The Muppet wrote: »
    There's a few steps that lead down to a well, it wasn't locked when I went to school. If i remeber correctly it is called St. Colmcilles well.

I was always told in school it was St Colmcilles well too, and that gate that's there now wasn't there when i was a young lad.

St Culumba/Columba is St Colmcillie.

Wiki
    Saint Columba (7 December 521 – 9 June 597 AD)—also known as Colum Cille (Old Irish, meaning "dove of the church"), Colm Cille (Irish), Calum Cille (Scottish Gaelic) and Kolban or Kolbjørn (Old Norse, meaning "black bear")[1][2]—was a Gaelic Irish missionary monk who propagated Christianity among the Picts during the Early Medieval Period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I was always told in school it was St Colmcilles well too, and that gate that's there now wasn't there when i was a young lad.

Yeah supposedly people used to extol its curative properties not that far back in history but when I was a chungfella all I remember was it smelled like pee. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This is St Columb's well, From 'Fingallian Holy Wells', by Petra Skyvova (Publl by Fingal County Council, 2005):

'It is a large stone structure with a flight of steps which turn slightly to the left leading to a vertical opening protected by a small iron door. A larger gate at the top of the steps is kept locked to prevent unauthorised access and vandalism. .... By tradition the saint cured lepers there and left the marks of his feet at the well.'

Seems Swords had a bad Leper problem back in the day. Well it must work, when was the last time you seen a leper in Swords?

Chapters of Dublin
    A short distance north of the castle is an elevation known as Spital Hill, where, as the name indicates, there stood in ancient times a hospital, probably for lepers - an institution to be found in every town of importance during the period when that terrible scourge was prevalent in the country. In this connection, it should be mentioned that St. Finian, the Abbot of Swords, who was appointed by St. Columbkille in the 6th century, was himself a sufferer from this disease, and is, in fact, usually referred to as "St. Finian the Leper." The ecclesiastical establishment here was founded about 550 A.D. by St. Columbkille, who soon afterwards retired in exile to lona, off the west coast of Scotland.

Spital is an old english word for
    A hospital, especially one for patients with contagious diseases

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The parish church in Rivervalley is named after St. Finian and I heard that the area was the site of a leper colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

I've seen that but never knew what it was. Pity it's locked up - if there's water in there that can cure people I'll be down there with my torch and iron bar ;)

When I was young, there was no lock on the well but over the years, vandalism and dumping of cans, bottles and all sorts of trash made it necessary to lock it up. What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

theres something similar in malahide castle, dont think there is a cross on the gates though...but it is locked up.

Advertisement