Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a dog...

• 07-12-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    A friend of mine saved a dog from a local river today- he was a small dog but fully grown and it looked like he'd just been flung over the wall into the water below :(
    Thankfully my friend heard the dog whimpering and got him out of the water.
    There was no collar or anything so he left the dog into the Garda station.

Just wondering what will happen to the dog now, I assume he'll be brought to a pound? Will he be okay there? We're so worried he won't be claimed and will be put down. Nether of us have much room for another dog (we both already have one each) but we hate the idea of that poor thing being hurt. Do they still put down healthy dogs? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

bubblefett wrote: »
    Hi all,
    A friend of mine saved a dog from a local river today- he was a small dog but fully grown and it looked like he'd just been flung over the wall into the water below :(
    Thankfully my friend heard the dog whimpering and got him out of the water.
    There was no collar or anything so he left the dog into the Garda station.

Just wondering what will happen to the dog now, I assume he'll be brought to a pound? Will he be okay there? We're so worried he won't be claimed and will be put down. Nether of us have much room for another dog (we both already have one each) but we hate the idea of that poor thing being hurt. Do they still put down healthy dogs? :(

If he is brought to the pins chances are he will be pts, the usual grace regardless of if a dog is healthy is 7 days, done surrenders are pts on the same day they arrive.

Ur friend should call Garda station and ask them to call a rescue centre or take him back until he can be placed in a rescue centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Yes the dog can be put to sleep after 1day in the pound so please don't let this go. Most shelters aren't taking in any more dogs until after Christmas but may be able to help you advertise him for re-homing or even get a foster home for him in the mean time.

Where are you based?

Well done for saving him from the water. It's a long shot but it'd be no harm to bring him to vet to see if he's micro-chipped. It should be free just to get him scanned and see if anything comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well done to your friend for rescuing the dog.

A stray dog can't be put to sleep after one day, thats only surrenders, strays have 5 days to be reclaimed then yes, they can be pts. However, it depends which pound the dog will be going to, a lot of them work with local rescues, so hopefully he will get out to safety.

If however he doesn't, at least he will just fall asleep, rather than drowning, so even though its horrible to contemplate, it is a kinder fate for him, poor dog:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Hey all, glad to report the doogy has gone to a good home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

Now that is the best news I've heard all week. Bless the little darling, and bless your friend for rescuing him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

is it a foster home?? or forever home??

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

This thread has ruined:mad: and made my day:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

yoy cant really by law rehome a dog this quick. by law, not saying i agree, you have to let a dog do 5 days in the pound after that the dog becomes the council property and then they can pts/rehome. if you do not do this the original owners have 1yr and 1 day to claim their dog back. also you dont know if there is a family looking for this dog, it could have got out, stolen who knows. yes, i know things dont look good but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

We were too late to take the dog back from the gardai so we looked up the pound on facebook before travelling out and found that they'd put up his photo. Under it was loads of comments saying how beautiful he was and the pound commented that he's a new home to go to if he's not claimed :)

I'm just so glad everything worked out for the doggy, proper christmas miracle i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You could do worse than confirm he has gone to a new home - hell of a difference between somebody promising to take him and actually doing so. Hopefully all will be well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement