Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

baraca wrote: »
    I remember a big storm some years ago, Think it was christmas eve not sure but it was around christmas I'll never forget that night. If anyone could help with pulling out a chart for that or provide a link it would be great.

Would love to compare.

Christmas Eve 1997 probably, biggest storm in recent years for the south, 88 knot gust at Valentia

Stephens Day 1998 was the big one in the north, lost electricity and phone for about 5 days and a neighbour had his entire roof blown off a year old house. Definitely don't want a repeat of that. 98 knots at Malin and sustained category one hurricane force

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Dec1997_storm.PDF

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Dec1998_Storm.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

redsunset wrote: »
    Sorry if this comes across as too Extreme, but I designed this and sending it to my Family and friends just in case.

184764.JPG

:eek::eek::eek:
    If the News of the World was still around they'd have hacked into your phone by now redsunset!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

12z GFS for Midnight Friday now has 10m wind speeds at Dublin airport hitting 90km/m with 850hpa winds reaching 223km/h!
    I take it those 850winds, at an altitude of around 1000m, may try to work down to the surface in the strongest gusts?
    For Dublin, the 12z GFS is the strongest GFS run Ive yet seen, marginally stronger than last nights 18z, which was the previous strongest so far.

It looks similar to this morning's ECM to my eyes, so it certainly has support!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Any word on how the ensembles are looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I remember a big storm some years ago, Think it was christmas eve not sure but it was around christmas I'll never forget that night. If anyone could help with pulling out a chart for that or provide a link it would be great.

Would love to compare.

Christmas Eve 1997, it was the last big storm for the south, I'll never forget it. Archives are on wetterzentrale and meteociel, I'm on my phone so can't link.

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »
    What time is the ECM out lads ?

After six.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Any word on how the ensembles are looking?

They are a bit breezy alright. Here is the control run.

gens-0-1-108.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Would love to compare.

Christmas Eve 1997, it was the last big storm for the south, I'll never forget it. Archives are on wetterzentrale and meteociel, I'm on my phone so can't link.

Remember it well - I was in a Chirch in Cork City (being my devout self!) and I remember a few windows were blown in behind the altar and the branch of a tree sticking through! And the wind, my god the wind - unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Harps wrote: »
    Christmas Eve 1997 probably, biggest storm in recent years for the south

Stephens Day 1998 was the big one in the north, lost electricity and phone for about 5 days and a neighbour had his entire roof blown off a year old house. Definitely don't want a repeat of that

If the Christmas Eve 1997 storm had happened on a random day in January, it would be mostly forgotten about by now, I suspect. It was bad, but with the exception of the Cork area, it was not extraordinarily bad. It seems to have become something of a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Stephens Day 1998 was the big one in the north, lost electricity and phone for about 5 days and a neighbour had his entire roof blown off a year old house. Definitely don't want a repeat of that

"Hi, My name is Ian , It has been 7 weeks since my last snow , im coping ok........

Im 21, I studied Climate and Earth System Science In UCD for 2 years, unfortunately , i couldnt cope with hours and hours travelling on bus every day so i exited from the course and now im In DIT studying Maths part-time, hope to get back into meteorology after i obtain my degree, and would love to move to Canada to study/work over there.
    For me , my interest in Meteorology Started (probably like many) when i seen the film twister, no matter how many times ive seen it id always watch it again whenever it was on.
    I remember well the Stephen's day storm of 98 ( i think it was that year! ) , we wer at the usual family get together , i was watching the film on the tv in the room and just by looking out the full-length windows it was like i was IN the film... then the power went and we all got to light candles for the rest of the night. "

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

redsunset wrote: »
    Sorry if this comes across as too Extreme, but I designed this and sending it to my Family and friends just in case.

184764.JPG

I can hear it now.

"..he means well..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If the Christmas Eve 1997 storm had happened on a random day in January, it would be mostly forgotten about by now, I suspect. It was bad, but with the exception of the Cork area, it was not extraordinarily bad. It seems to have become something of a legend.

We were without power in Tipperary for days. Wrecked havock on the Christmas dinner! ;)

Haven't experienced a storm like that since to be honest. I have a distinct memory of attempting to save the roof of one of our neighbors houses alongside having to physically disarm our alarm system after it began sounding once the power was gone for days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solyad wrote: »
    I've to fly out of Dublin airport Thursday morning and back (from London) Friday evening so I'll put it this way... What level of storm does it take to disrupt Dublin airport typically.
    You will be grand, Aer Lingus were rehearsing their wind landing skillz since then and have it all pat. They will land!

lol wut

Half the trees in our back garden blew down in Kilkenny, nothing like that has happened since in these parts.

I think it broke 50 year records for wind speeds in Kilkenny.

There is a Met Eireann pdf on it on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

They're wind speeds at 5000ft or so.

Guess I won't be taking the microlight out of the garage then on Friday....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

It was pretty bad in Limerick City. It blew up out of nowhere. Suddenly there was debris flying about the city, including the roof of one of the georgian buildings on O'Connell Street.

There were a number of lives lost. RIP.

If it had happened on a random day in January, I think it would have been much worse. As it was people were heading home at the time when it struck. Things were winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Come on guys, you know the deal. This will cross us much weaker or be dying to head north if it's as deep as forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

Guess I won't be taking the microlight out of the garage then on Friday....;)

Not unless you mind landing somewhere in eastern Europe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

I'll never forget the Boxing Day storm of '98. Driving home from work and huge oak tree crashed down on the road about 10 feet from the car. The car bounced twice with the impact. I still don't know how my colleague hit the brake so fast.
    Got home to find my sisters family gathering had moved to my house because I had an open fire, therefore heat.
    I will never forget the hangover the next day either. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »
    Remember it well - I was in a Chirch in Cork City (being my devout self!) and I remember a few windows were blown in behind the altar and the branch of a tree sticking through! And the wind, my god the wind - unbelievable!

That wasn't the Blizzard was it? If so it struck as 13:30 and shut down my Santa in Douglas Village as part of the roof came off allowing ingress of copious water that destroyed Santa's Hut.

The wind was never seen before, and rarely outside the Arctic no one on this forum, even those from our storm alley north west have ever experienced this condition, it remains [AFAIK] a unique event to have effected Cork City and nearby environs only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I'm liking the old storm stories, sounds like a cosy time that brings people together. I can't really remember much significant weather events in my time; apart from the odd occassion I've gone seeking them in the mountains, but always alone and have no one to share the moments with.

I do hope we get some significant weather, preferably cold and snow but some serious winds would be fun too, Obviously I hope no harm comes to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

South Tipp got an awful hammering from that and was the worst i remember.In the early evening for 2-3 hours it was the only time i was ever worried about the wind in 38yrs.The amount of tress knocked and bent all in the same direction was unbelievable.Honestly thought the car were going to turn over and tried to park as best to avoid it.Felt worse than "hurricane" Charlie windwise.
    Didn't matter a damn that it was Christmas Eve or if you were in Cork as 75miles northeast from Cork City in South Tipp it was horrendous,sometimes if you are not in an area when severe weather hits it may be best not to speculate what it was like for those who were..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember negotiating fallen trees and a couple of downed power lines to on my way to a pub on St Stephens day back then. There was no electricity in the pub. So we had pints by candlelight. A good night was had by all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

dsmythy wrote: »
    Come on guys, you know the deal. This will cross us much weaker or be dying to head north if it's as deep as forecast.

But how do you know for sure?

Especially with what Deep Easterly was talking about the other night, with each subsequent low being more south than the last.

We can only comment on what the models are showing for next Friday. If there showing a major storm, affecting most of the country, then we'll disscus that. If it moves North, well grand then, it's a strong possibility. If it didn't move North, but that's what people are being told to expect, it could be a disaster, causing deaths to people who were told 'ah sure it'll move off North and be a normal day!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

184774.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

EDIT: Thanks JS. Sorry

Yes, 12z ECM has a flabby LP system tracking close to our NW and then tracking NW over northern Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

John.Icy wrote: »
    But how do you know for sure?

Especially with what Deep Easterly was talking about the other night, with each subsequent low being more south than the last.

We can only comment on what the models are showing for next Friday. If there showing a major storm, affecting most of the country, then we'll disscus that. If it moves North, well grand then, it's a strong possibility. If it didn't move North, but that's what people are being told to expect, it could be a disaster, causing deaths to people who were told 'ah sure it'll move off North and be a normal day!'.

I don't know for sure but I've seen too many wind events be downgraded closer to the time. Nevertheless I have tentatively told a few people that Thursday night into Friday might not be the best time to persue certain activities. Only if the models show this on their Wednesday night runs will I be convinced on it's severity. The problem with the general public would be a 'boy who cried wolf' attitude to warnings thanks to tabloids in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM not keen on developing storm2!!!!

ECM1-96.GIF?11-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

that's the ooz ECM irishwolfe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    ECM, very similar to GFS. Centre about 40-50km further north of GEFS projection (Donegal Bay)

184775.GIF
    That,s the ooz Wolf, 12z bins storm number 2 :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement