Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS might blow up something for the south UK here.

Such a tenuous set up!

and a no!

Paris gets hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I thinking Cork might get a battering - I just feel it!! The South could come off the worst from this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFS might blow up something for the south UK here.

Such a tenuous set up!

Almost, but its France that would get the worst there.

A bit more intense than the 12Z but staying south.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Is the UK Met Office model the only model that is corrected by humans after the run? Maybe this is why they are still giving the storm and other models have lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Northern France taking the heat with Thursdays low on the 18z.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

GFS giving France a decent storm but still nothing for us, even southern England mostly escaping

Harps wrote: »
    GFS giving France a decent storm but still nothing for us, even southern England mostly escaping

The English forums will be saying, it was forecast to move into France, but then during the night over the Bay of Biscay the storm exploded................... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

leahyl wrote: »
    I thinking Cork might get a battering - I just feel it!! The South could come off the worst from this!

Strange that you say that I was thinking the same thing, it reminds me of the build up to the 97 xmas eve storm. We are long overdue a big storm, one that will beat our northern brothers :)

But it looks to be forming a little to late for us on the latest runs, but the UK Met still have it slamming into us.

Spindle wrote: »
    Is the UK Met Office model the only model that is corrected by humans after the run? Maybe this is why they are still giving the storm and other models have lost the plot.

The UKMO model isn't corrrected by humans, but the UKMO Fax Charts can be adjusted by forecasters.

Spindle wrote: »
    leahyl wrote: »

Strange that you say that I was thinking the same thing, it reminds me of the build up to the 97 xmas eve storm. We are long overdue a big storm, one that will beat our northern brothers :)

But it looks to be forming a little to late for us on the latest runs, but the UK Met still have it slamming into us.

I know I shouldn't be hoping for something like this but I can't help it :-) there's nothing like a good storm and if the UK met are "very confident" of such a storm then that's good enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I just pressed rewind on tv again to see that forecast again on bbc the low was very deep and went up by donegal bringing most of the strong winds to most of ireland he said they were very confident of damaging winds but uncertain about the track

Hooter23 wrote: »
    ....but uncertain about the track

Aaah therein lies the problem - they don't know where these winds are gonna cause damage!

a wise young man has spotted in the UKM mes (NAE) that the storm for Thursday is just about coming into range.

The storm progged here just coming into view.

The cente is <985mb at this point, lower than progged on the ECM or GFS, showing the disparity of forecast as early as this point.

11121418_1218.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

a wise young man has spotted in the UKM mes (NAE) that the storm for Thursday is just about coming into range.

The cente is <985mb at this point, lower than progged on the ECM or GFS, showing the disparity of forecast as early as this point.

That could mean it will occlude earlier and take a track further north.

11121418_1218.gif

NAE gets its boundary data from the UKMO though doesn't it? Since that is right at the edge there maybe thats more a reflection of the UKMO rather than the NAE?

Su Campu wrote: »

Yeah what i was thinking. This thing could do anything i feel. Could be a fish or a or go to Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was just gonna say that...

For 2moro's Storm. 10 m sea level pressure and wind chart ( Hirlam ) has Force 11 winds hitting the N & NW from 1pm- 6pm .
    We should have set up a top gust guess... thread :rolleyes:

185005.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Seems to fit in with the UKMO projection alright: (sorry for size of chart)

185007.PNG

988 mb at 12z and occluding!

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Was just gonna say that...

For 2moro's Storm. 10 m sea level pressure and wind chart ( Hirlam ) has Force 11 winds hitting the N & NW from 1pm- 6pm .
    We should have set up a top gust guess... thread :rolleyes:

Isn't that model the WRF (GFS hi res), not the Hirlam?

Isn't that model the WRF (GFS hi res), not the Hirlam?

Really?... i always thought Peter Lynch saying it was the Hirlam... ah well.
    Cant see a reference for it on the page.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Really?... i always thought Peter Lynch saying it was the Hirlam... ah well.
    Cant see a reference for it on the page.

It's there alright. http://mathsci.ucd.ie/met/mcc-about-fc.html
    About these Forecasts

There forecasts are generated using the WRF-ARW model.
    The initial data come from the GFS (Global Forecast System) run by the National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in Washington. The lateral boundary data are also from GFS.
    The charts are prepared using the NCAR Graphics Package NCL (NCAR Command Language).
    The forecasts are updated four times each day, from the GFS analyses at 00, 06, 12 and 18 UTC. The WRF model is run at two resolutions, 30 km and 10 km. Click the "Zoom in" button to display the higher resolution.

Cheers SU... My FLU effected eyes deceive me! :rolleyes:

Met Eireann's 5 day wind forecast seems to be the same just in Knots Topping at no greater winds than 63knots 2moro.... id say they'll get a greater speed for more than 20 seconds to decieve that forecast! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

How it looks on the latest AEMET HIRLAM for noon Thursday:

185011.gif

Tending NE'wards, but for how long?

Projected jet stream pattern for the same time:
    185012.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Met eireann forecast in a few mins on rte 1

Latest depression is gathering strength on latest satellite pics with its structure improving, a extremely dangerous depression moving towards Donegal Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Latest depression is gathering strength on latest satellite pics with its structure improving, a extremely dangerous depression moving towards Donegal Bay.
    How dangerous and how much of the country do you reckon it will effect Weathercheck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭The Westerner

Late news just started on RTE1 now. Forecast in a couple of minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Projected jet stream pattern for the same time:
    185012.gif

EH, Jet stream seem to be curving north right now not south, this projection above shows it curving southwards over the next few days.

Animate the last few days here to see the general pattern.

http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/nhemjetstream_model.html

Now.

11121218_jetstream_norhem.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hgt300.png

• Advertisement

Issued at 13 December 2011 - 00:05

Weather Warning

Stormy conditions will affect the country today with winds gusting 100 to 130 km/h, strongest in the North and Northwest.
    There will also be sleet and snow showers especially in the North and West with blizzard-like conditions giving hazardous driving conditions and some icy roads.
    Very high seas are forecast also along the northwest,west and southwest coasts and coupled with the high spring tides there is a threat of coastal flooding.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement