Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey stew

Options
  • 08-12-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have some left over turkey meat and want to make a stew with it tomorrow. I bought chicken stock today but have no idea how to get from that to delicious stew. Somehow I don't think putting the stock on the turkey will suffice! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I made this, its pretty good.
    If you cook the meat first it should be easy enough to make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd dice, it, seal it in some oil in a pan and put it in a casserole dish. Then put carrots, onions and celery into the pan (chop them up into chunky pieces). When they start to soften, turn down the heat and add a heaped dessertspoon of flour. Stir well and let it cook gently for a minute or two. Add the hot (not boiling) stock and stir well while bringing it to the boil. Season with salt and black pepper and a good pinch of whatever herbs you like - sage goes really well, but even mixed herbs would do.
    Put it into the casserole dish with the turkey, put the lid on and cook it in the oven for 1.5 hours at 180c.
    Or cook it on the hob in a pot - you's need slightly more liquid though, and you could add barley if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If the turkey is raw, I'd follow Dizzy's advice (that method will make any kind of stew) but if it is already cooked, I'd follow that recipe but only put the meat in, cubed at the end to warm it through. Some bacon, fried at the start, will add to this dish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the replies. The meat is already cooked so i don't need to fry it. When you say I should just put it in at the end, wouldn't that leave the stew a little flavourless?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If I were you I'd follow the other steps, then add the turkey for the last half hour. That will give it plenty of time to add flavour too and it won't break up too much either.
    The chopped bacon is a great idea too if you have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The meat is already cooked so i don't need to fry it. When you say I should just put it in at the end, wouldn't that leave the stew a little flavourless?

Well, it's not really a stew as such. It's cooked turkey and veg in a sauce.
    The flavour will be coming from the stock and bacon if using. Cooked turkey won't impart much flavour to the sauce. I'd go along with putting it in a half hour before the end too.

Advertisement