Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulk head in caddy

• 08-12-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Is it illegal to take out the bulk head in a caddy? I don't have anything in the back so I was wondering do I really need it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kearney13 wrote: »
    Is it illegal to take out the bulk head in a caddy? I don't have anything in the back so I was wondering do I really need it?

Can't imagine it's illegal, there are plenty of similar sized vans that don't have Bulkheads (Transit Connect, Combo).

You'll probably notice a lot more road noise without it in. I'd also check whether it's just bolted in (and therefore easy to remove) or whether it's part of the actual structure of the van. From memory, they all come with some form of bulkhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They just bolt in and out. Made from plastic, so not structural. Removing it allows for much more seat travel too - for some tall people removal is not an option, it's necessary to be able to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I might take it out and carpet the back I dont know why but I just imagine it to be more comfortable with out it because I want to put in different seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Leave it in for the moment. Put the seats in and see what its like after that.

The bulkhead has a few advantages:
    it stops stuff sliding into the back of the seat thus making it a bit safer:
    its quieter, a lot quieter than a carpet in the back:
    and its a lot quicker to heat up the front of the van with a bulkhead on a cold morning than it is to heat the whole thing, important in winter :).

bijapos wrote: »
    The bulkhead has a few advantages:
    it stops stuff sliding into the back of the seat thus making it a bit safer:
    its quieter, a lot quieter than a carpet in the back:
    and its a lot quicker to heat up the front of the van with a bulkhead on a cold morning than it is to heat the whole thing, important in winter :).

Don't have anything in the back but keeping it in now, thanks for saying that about the heat never thought of it these cold mornings are hateful so might keep it in till the start of summer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

The last caddy I was in had a grey plastic grill for a bulkhead. Wouldn't do much to keep the heat in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I might take it out and carpet the back I dont know why but I just imagine it to be more comfortable with out it because I want to put in different seats

Something like this?

carpet_interior.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I drove a caddy for a good while and had to take the bulkhead out a couple of times and trust me the bulkhead gone made no difference to the heat on cold mornings as it's basically a plastic grid!

One of the guys tried attaching carpet to the bulkhead to try keep heat in the van made no difference!

If you keep anything in the back it will be annoying sliding into you!!

Well I took it out anyway had the spare wheel in the back (just got it back) and lets just say my passenger didnt appricate it gone when I had to jam on the brakes when I was cut off on a round about. It hit him in the back fairly hard so might put the bottom of it back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Well I took it out anyway had the spare wheel in the back (just got it back) and lets just say my passenger didnt appricate it gone when I had to jam on the brakes when I was cut off on a round about. It hit him in the back fairly hard so might put the bottom of it back in
    That could have killed him in an accident.

• Advertisement

I know it scared me I put the tire back underneath the van luckily I was doing about 30kp/h still hit the back of the chair quite hard but have the bottom back in now and nothing in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know it scared me I put the tire back underneath the van luckily I was doing about 30kp/h still hit the back of the chair quite hard but have the bottom back in now and nothing in the back
    I remember seeing a German high-speed video of a crash test years back, involving an estate with four dummies and a boot full of camping supplies - very scary stuff, especially the tin cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Anan1 wrote: »
    That could have killed him in an accident.

This happened to a one of ours guys a number of years ago. He was driving at a fair rate of knots, had to jam on and a coil of cable from the back of his van hit him in the back of the head. RIP

All our company commercials must have bulkheads which is has caused concern amongst the more long legged of our guys. But leg cramp is the lesser of the two evils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I took the bulkhead out of my old one, it used to rattle and drive me crazy. Never carried anything in the back of it so it was grand.

Advertisement